Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ronnie_bb

Question about fasting

For those who water fast for long periods (be it 10 days or 30 days etc), how is it okay to be without food for this long, given you're not consuming vitamins etc from a healthy, normal diet? Ie. we're told to eat this and that everyday for good health (both short term and long term), and I was wondering where all the nutrients are coming from. I assume the body has plenty of these stored in reserve? Just intrigued, that's all. Thanks. :angel:

For those who water fast for long periods (be it 10 days or 30 days etc), how is it okay to be without food for this long, given you're not consuming vitamins etc from a healthy, normal diet? Ie. we're told to eat this and that everyday for good health (both short term and long term), and I was wondering where all the nutrients are coming from. I assume the body has plenty of these stored in reserve? Just intrigued, that's all. Thanks. :angel:

First of all I wouldn't self-fast for more than 7 days and bigger fasts may require more medical assistance

To asnwer your question you're right, the body has lot of reserves

First of all half of your daily protein come from endogenous proteins (amino acids pool) which is maintained in the blood but the protein turnover (reciclying) Certain essential amino acids are stored up to 12 days in the endogenous pool. Your glands also store several vitamins while others are being produced even during fasting by your intestinal flora. Calories come mostly from the liver glycogen and the several pounds of fat and visceral fat you've all over your body. Minerals are being stored in the lymph and bone marrow. Other nutrients come from the process of autolysis which is something your body do when the digestive processes are halted: it destroys and digests its own old and pathological tissues: cysts, benign or maglignant tumors, connettive tissues and so on

If you are wondering why then people who don't get nutrients are told to become sick and undernourished?

The point is that the mobilitation of stored elements comes mostly from the autolysis process

If you keep consuming the same amount of calories that need to be digested but underconsume important nutrients your body isn't going to utilized the stored nutrients. This happens only when the digestive processes are halted

According to some people with big fat reserves can fast (in a fasting clinic) for as long as 30-50 days

According to others even if there's still fat to consume and so starvation doesn't occur after 30 or even 25 days most elements reverses are depleted and therefore the process is halted and useless

So they prefer to use a moderate fast with an attenuated fast

Albert Mosseri for example would fast people for just 17-20 days and after that is they were still feeling like fasting he would give them a pound of raw fruits to eat through the morning and afternoong and a pound of baby raw vegetables and greens to eat in two sittings in the evening.

According to him this was way more effective than fasting people up to 30-50 days

So the body reverses last 10-20 days depending on the case but 2 pounds of fruits and vegetables daily doesn't involve such a digestive effort to halt the autolysis process