Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allblkaudi

taking omega 3-6-9 pills the same as eating a fatty meal???

I was just wondering if I take omega 3-6-9 pills with fish, flax, and borage (1200mg) would constitute for eating a fatty meal (like how you are soposed to eat before taking accutane, does taking this supplement make it so you dont have to?) or is this only used for joint support?

I've been taking my pills with a serving of Hummus (3 grams of healthy fats from Olive Oil) and a Omega 3 Fish Body Oils pill and Accutane is working great for me

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

You're thinking of haggis....

Hummus is made of chickpeas and tahini...... yummmmmmm.... hummus

you dont have to over do it. Just take accutane with alil fat, peanut butter is good enough. But accutane is accutane, what you take it with wont really impact it that much.

I was just wondering if I take omega 3-6-9 pills with fish, flax, and borage (1200mg) would constitute for eating a fatty meal (like how you are soposed to eat before taking accutane, does taking this supplement make it so you dont have to?)

If you mean taking those supplements with a meal that maybe wouldn't have enough fat on it's own - then probably, but it would better to take it with a fatty meal to be sure. If you mean taking supplements instead of a meal, i'd say no. Pills don't stimulate digestion like food does.

But accutane is accutane, what you take it with wont really impact it that much.

Only if you think more than doubling absorption doesn't have an impact.

Only if you think more than doubling absorption doesn't have an impact.

Do you know this for sure? I mean, if it's a well known fact, I am going to change my time. Breakfast is usually light (cereal w/skim milk or an egg with toast). Certainly not high fat. But lunch and dinner usually involve either meat or mayo so maybe I should switch times. I just didn't want to take it at dinner because if I have an alcoholic drink it's usually at night.

So, where can I find this info so I can read it myself (well, have my dh read it since I don't understand the statistical results)?

Thanks,

Platinum

Eeek I've had the same problem ever since I switched from 1 pill a day to 2. My breakfast is never high fat, my lunch might only be medium fat so I always add a fish oil pill, and I hate to take a pill with dinner because I might want a glass of wine. It's so hard to space them out! I wish I knew the exact # of fat grams I need for max absorption...

So, where can I find this info so I can read it myself (well, have my dh read it since I don't understand the statistical results)?

The information is from a .pdf on Roche's Accutane site. Here's a link. http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf Read the section called "Pharmacokinetics."

It says that absorption is more than doubled when taken with a "standardized high fat meal" versus fasted and mentions that this is due to the lipophilic nature of isotretinoin. Lipophilic substances bind to fat molecules. So, when you take isotretinoin, you can absorb some of it without fat, but if you take it with fat your absorption increases significantly because extra isotretinoin can "piggyback" on the fat.

Unfortunately there is no data on how absorption varies with a different sort of meal, like a low fat one, but knowing that isotretinoin is lipophilic means that it's pretty unlikely that such a test would be much better than the fasted test. They also do not define exactly what a "standardized high fat meal" is, but this info the best i've found.

Here's another interesting link, a tale of Accutane failure due to Olestra - an artifical fat designed to pass through the body undigested. http://www.skinandaging.com/SA/displayArti...eID=article2920

The information is from a .pdf on Roche's Accutane site. Here's a link. http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf Read the section called "Pharmacokinetics."

It says that absorption is more than doubled when taken with a "standardized high fat meal" versus fasted and mentions that this is due to the lipophilic nature of isotretinoin. Lipophilic substances bind to fat molecules. So, when you take isotretinoin, you can absorb some of it without fat, but if you take it with fat your absorption increases significantly because extra isotretinoin can "piggyback" on the fat.

Unfortunately there is no data on how absorption varies with a different sort of meal, like a low fat one, but knowing that isotretinoin is lipophilic means that it's pretty unlikely that such a test would be much better than the fasted test. They also do not define exactly what a "standardized high fat meal" is, but this info the best i've found.

Here's another interesting link, a tale of Accutane failure due to Olestra - an artifical fat designed to pass through the body undigested. http://www.skinandaging.com/SA/displayArti...eID=article2920

Thank you. I will ask my dietician sister what a "standardized high fat meal" is.

For now, I will make sure I at least have my fish oil and maybe some peanutbutter with it.

:wacko:

mmmmm... sheep tummy... :wub:

yeah... i started taking it with really fatty foods, like wendys and its drying me up alot quicker now...

veeeerrryyyy interesting

yeah... i started taking it with really fatty foods, like wendys and its drying me up alot quicker now...

Has your cholesterol been ok during treatment? I am a little worried about that with me. I haven't increase my fat intake but if my cholesterol is high I will be going on a diet.

I wonder if they adjust dosage for those on low fat diets. :think:

Platinum

Has your cholesterol been ok during treatment? I am a little worried about that with me. I haven't increase my fat intake but if my cholesterol is high I will be going on a diet.

Remember - all fats do not increase cholesterol, in fact some have positive effects on cholesterol ratio. Mono and poly unsaturated fats like those found in avocado, oily fish like salmon, nuts, and olive oil are good for you and for your cholesterol. You don't need to increase your overall fat intake, just make sure that the meal you take your Accutane with is not low fat.

I'm sorry that i can't give you a definite answer, but it's hard to say for sure exactly what a "standardized high fat meal" was in the context of the data on Roche's site. But if i was you, i would take it with a more significant meal that includes a good source of fat and take the fish oil supplements as well. I found it was easiest for me to take it at lunch, which tends to be my biggest meal. If dinner is your biggest, that would work. I think most people eat a pretty light breakfast and it's probably not the best choice to take it then.

I'm sorry that i can't give you a definite answer, but it's hard to say for sure exactly what a "standardized high fat meal" was in the context of the data on Roche's site. But if i was you, i would take it with a more significant meal that includes a good source of fat and take the fish oil supplements as well. I found it was easiest for me to take it at lunch, which tends to be my biggest meal. If dinner is your biggest, that would work. I think most people eat a pretty light breakfast and it's probably not the best choice to take it then.

But what about those of us that have been directed to take it twice a day? Isn't lunch and dinner too close together?

Well, you have a few options. Many derms will say it's ok to take your dose all at once if splitting it up is inconvienent, and many never prescribe split dosages to start with. So you may be able to ok taking at once with your derm. Since many derms will prescribe the daily dose to be taken in one go, i don't think it really is a big deal if you take half at lunch and half at dinner. If you really want to split the dose breakfast/dinner, then you need to ensure that your breakfast is more of a full meal, not the snacky, low fat meal most people eat.

Well, you have a few options. Many derms will say it's ok to take your dose all at once if splitting it up is inconvienent, and many never prescribe split dosages to start with. So you may be able to ok taking at once with your derm. Since many derms will prescribe the daily dose to be taken in one go, i don't think it really is a big deal if you take half at lunch and half at dinner. If you really want to split the dose breakfast/dinner, then you need to ensure that your breakfast is more of a full meal, not the snacky, low fat meal most people eat.

:confused: But...I thought it is supposed to work better if you take it twice a day, as opposed to once a day?

Wonder if the stomach side effects are less, when you take smaller doses more often? I have IBS, and don't want the accutane to make it worse.

With IBS to be considered it's probably best to split the doses for you, you're right - it's probably easier on the stomach. But i honestly don't think that splitting the dose changes the effectiveness - Accutane works cumulatively. It works even if you miss a week here or there, it just doesn't seem to me that the minor fluctuations in serum levels from once daily dosing could be that big a deal, especially since many derms prescribe it that way.