Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

link to article on common pore clogging ingredients

Thanks for the info. I think some of those are in Proactiv!! I've been trying to avoid all topicals!

Glad the list is helpful!!!

Yeah, it amazes me that some of the over the counter acne treatments have pore clogging ingredients in them (maybe that conspiracy theory is really true? They really don't want you getting clear, so you'll keep buying the products!). I wonder if this is why proactive initially works for many people, and then stops working?

I carry that list with me whenever I buy any skin care products. I even found some pore clogging ingredients in my lipstick (which helped explain the tiny breakouts I was getting near my lips). I've learned to check everything - moisturizer, makeup, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

Have you actually found any products that don't have bad ingrediants in them? I don't use anyting right now except hot water and epsom salt but when I'm at the store I always look at acne products. I haven't bought anything for a while cause I don't trust any of it!

Have you actually found any products that don't have bad ingrediants in them? I don't use anyting right now except hot water and epsom salt but when I'm at the store I always look at acne products. I haven't bought anything for a while cause I don't trust any of it!

Yeah, most of my products are free of those ingredients. Although, I do get most of my skin care products from my esthetican's own line of products (she specializes in treating acne, so her products are all safe!). My foundation does have algae in it, but it doesn't seem to bother my skin. The only products I really have trouble finding that don't have any of these ingredients are hair sprays/gels, etc. I guess anything that makes your hair stiff/sticky has got to be bad for your pores though!!

Hmm.. I just started using Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face wash (w/ TTO).

Here are the ingredients:

Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia), Extracts of Matricaria, Goldenseal, Awapuhi (Hawaiian white ginger), Bladderwrack, Essential Oil

Does not contain: Animal Ingredients or Testing, Alcohol, Animal Fat, Artificial Color Or Synthetic Perfumes.

I just started using it, and it seemed to be going well (People have had sucess with it as well). Do you think this will be a problem?

I would just like to point out that complex 15 moisturizer contains Myristyl Myristate which is on that list (I know some people on the org use it). I used to use it and did notice that it clogged my pores.

Thanks for posting this. I've never even considered looking at the ingredients before. I've always trusted the makers of products. If a product says non-comedogenic is it still necessary to check the ingredients though?

If a product says non-comedogenic is it still necessary to check the ingredients though?

that's the exact issue i'm having here. my current moisturizer says "won't clog pores", but it has 2 of the suspect ingredients in it. so i start looking for a new moisturizer and i decide on cetaphil moisturizer, which clearly says on it "non-comedogenic", but it also contains some questionable ingredients from the list. at this point, i dunno...

Jojoba oil alone is great for moisturizing and also helps deep cleanses pours. It's the only thing that prevented flakiness when I was on the CSR and it moisturizes the face while revitalizing the skin. When used correctly, your skin is moist but non-greasy.

Jojoba oil alone is great for moisturizing and also helps deep cleanses pours. It's the only thing that prevented flakiness when I was on the CSR and it moisturizes the face while revitalizing the skin. When used correctly, your skin is moist but non-greasy.

How do you use Jojoba Oil correctly? i am thinking of buying it, but not sure how i am going to use it?

i looked at the link... thanks Willow.. Luckily none of those ingredients are in my moisturisor. Though one ingredients SLES is in my cleanser. but most cleansers contain SLES and SLS, like cetaphil.

hey its got :: 'sulfated jojoba oil', what does that mean?

hey its got :: 'sulfated jojoba oil', what does that mean?

I'm not sure. Maybe post a response to the message on tribe.net. Laura (the esthetician who posted the article) may be able to answer that for you.

If a product says non-comedogenic is it still necessary to check the ingredients though?

that's the exact issue i'm having here. my current moisturizer says "won't clog pores", but it has 2 of the suspect ingredients in it. so i start looking for a new moisturizer and i decide on cetaphil moisturizer, which clearly says on it "non-comedogenic", but it also contains some questionable ingredients from the list. at this point, i dunno...

I would still check the ingredients, no matter what the product label says. I don't think there are any real standards that they have to follow when they label cosmetic products "non-comedogenic". Even some acne treatment products have been known to have pore clogging ingredients in them (there may be something to that old conspiracy theory after all....) I also don't know if where the ingredient is on list matters (if it is one of the first ingredients or if its one of the last ones listed).

Hmm.. I just started using Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face wash (w/ TTO).

Here are the ingredients:

Castile Soap, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia), Extracts of Matricaria, Goldenseal, Awapuhi (Hawaiian white ginger), Bladderwrack, Essential Oil

Does not contain: Animal Ingredients or Testing, Alcohol, Animal Fat, Artificial Color Or Synthetic Perfumes.

I just started using it, and it seemed to be going well (People have had sucess with it as well). Do you think this will be a problem?

I would be concerned about the olive oil, coconut oil, and the essential oil. They might not be pore clogging for everyone, but I think they can be problematic for some people.

wow i found more than three of those ingredients in my new neutrogena scrub.

AHHH!!

Sodium Laureth Sulfate

^^ i found this ingredient in all of my cleansers and scrub.

but it works fine on my skin. at least, i think it does...

wow i found more than three of those ingredients in my new neutrogena scrub.

AHHH!!

Sodium Laureth Sulfate

^^ i found this ingredient in all of my cleansers and scrub.

but it works fine on my skin. at least, i think it does...

SLS is one of the hard ones to avoid. I think it is in a lot of cleansers, shampoos, etc. I don't know that it bothers everyone, but some people report having problems with it.

I think if there are 3 no-no ingredients in the Neutrogena scrub, you might want to ditch that one!