Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, 2-3 weeks ago I had my appointment with the derm and we decided that the 2nd course of Roaccutane was the case... she told me to start taking the BCP when I would get my next period, so I told her I was about to get it, because I didn't want to wait another month (since I had just got it...lol)...

Now I am really about to get it, but I have my blood test on Saturday, and I should be taking the pill for a week at least...so, my question is: "When you take the BCP, does it show in your blood test??"

Because if it doesn't, I start taking the BCP when I get my period (and I don't care about the blood test), instead if it shows in the blood test, I'll start taking the Pill now, even if I don't get my period....

nope, they only do a pregnancy test, they do not measure the levels of hormones, etc that would be there from the BC.

you're good, don't worry!

Thanks Jess ;)

But the fact is that I have already done a pregnancy test for my doctor (even if the answer was obvious), and they specify that I had to do the blood test 1 week after starting the birth control pill... so I'm confused now...

Is there anything else they can check to see if I'm taking the pill or not?

hey Stefy seems like me and are having the same prob : /

I was just asking my mum 2day if it shows in ur blood test result whether u been taking BC or not...my derm called me up and i told her that my doc said i shud wait till my next period b4 starting the BC...she said, "oh no then i want u to stop roaccutane straight away"! i was like errr wat 4? i told u i wasnt sexually active so dont worry i wont fall pregnant...then she mumbled sum crap and said oh nah its only so the bc can controll the flare up...

I told her that i dont want to stop the roac and that ill just start the bc 2moro....however im not planning to because i know it'l stuff me up....

So should i just keep telling her that i am takin the pill when im not? will it show in my blood test at all? orrr should i just start taking the bc when i get my next period? so confusing : /

Is bc that terrible? lol

Luckily I got my period on Thursday and that is when I started taking the pill, because I didn't want to mess up m hormones, and so I waited till I got it. I did my blood test today, so if it should show it wouldn't be too good, since I was supposed to take the pill and then after 1week have my test done...and instead it was only 2 days...

Anyway, I don't think it shows, really because I read what my blood exam was for (like tryglicerids-sp?) and so on, so I don't think they can tell if I'm taking it or not. The pill my derm gave me is the lightest she could give me (it's italian, btw) and so, I don't think it will be bad for me (since last year I took it with my first roacc course and it was like I wasn't on it) and I'm gonna keep taking it.

What I advise you to do is starting taking it when you got your period, because it's the best thing to do, and you won't mess up your hormones... Ask your derm if she can give you the lightest (the one which will cause less damages) since you, like me, aren't sexually active... but I'd say take it...you never know, and it would be a real mess if you should get pregnant.

again, they do NOT test to see if you are taking your BCP! THEY CAN'T TELL! They test to see if you are pregnant, and if you are, obviously you were not taking your pill or were having sex in the first place!!!!

if you are NOT sexually active and will not be while on accutane, then don't take the friggin pill at ALL. it could cause problems later on.

the choice to go on hormones should be your own and for your life situation, not because some doctor insisted you take it for an unnecessary reason!

If you signed papers saying that you were going to take them you are morally obligated to take them whether you are sexually active or not. People who aren't sexually active have a way of becoming so in the heat of the moment.

If you signed papers saying that you were going to take them you are morally obligated to take them whether you are sexually active or not. People who aren't sexually active have a way of becoming so in the heat of the moment.

Exactly. She will make me sign a paper made especially for women going on Rpaccutane where it says that during the period you have to take your bcp because of this, etc... This way the doctor won't be responsable if I get pregnant, because I'm not sexually active but I could get while I'm on it...

Jess, you're right but if I want roaccutane I have to take the pill, and taking it for 4-5 months doesn't seem a big deal to me... moreover I'm protected from pregnancy and I'm safer and securer...and have roaccutane!

yeh i had to sign a paper that said i will go on a bc pill etc etc...im waiting till i get my next period and im going to start it...if it stops my period like it did last time ill stop it 4 sure....

Also i think they CAN tell if ur taking the pill or not bcoz they chek ur hormone levels and if it has changed or not changed from ur last blood test they could tell...thats what my friend said....

like u said it;s only until the treatment is over nway so i hope it'l b ok...

Steff what pill r u on??

Also i think they CAN tell if ur taking the pill or not bcoz they chek ur hormone levels and if it has changed or not changed from ur last blood test they could tell...thats what my friend said....

They don't check for pill-related hormones, but perhaps they should. The standard blood tests that are ordered are to check blood lipids, liver indicators, and a specific hormone that indicates pregnancy.

yeh i had to sign a paper that said i will go on a bc pill etc etc...im waiting till i get my next period and im going to start it...if it stops my period like it did last time ill stop it 4 sure....

like u said it;s only until the treatment is over nway so i hope it'l b ok...

Steff what pill r u on??

again (and again and again)... no, they can't check. Maybe your friends doctor told her that to scare her into taking her pill, who knows. Either way, they can not check to see if you are taking your pill or not.

like beenthere said though, they probably should.

Steff what pill r u on??

It's Italian, so I don't know you know it... Anyway it's called Arianna, and it's supposed to be the lightest, in fact the first month I start talking it, I got my period 3 times, lol It was much lighter anyway...

I was worried, but my derm said that's completely normal, because it's super light and my body wasn't use to it and it didn't do any harm to my hormones...in fact it all went well the other months...