Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First let me give you a little background. I've had mild acne since I was about 18, now I am 23. I had the kind where I would have a cyst on my face at almost all times. They would be light white spots at first, then I could feel them getting really painful when I touched them, and after a few days they were big red bumps. Every time one went away, a new one came in. I also get small pimples with them every now and then. The main area I had pimples is my chin, but ocassionally on my forehead too.

I have tried all the products reccomended on here I believe:

BP Gel

Tea tree oil

Manuka oil

Pretty much every clearsil/neutrogena/clean and clear product on the shelves

Vitamin B5

Zeno

St Ives apricot scrub

Many more

Now I noticed when I would get these bad cysts, my face would be a lot oilier than other days. I had been using both cetaphil and neutrogena facial moisturizer for approximately 1 year with the same results.

I had tried clean and clear advantage for a while by itself with no luck. Anyways, I was walking in walmart one day and saw the neutrogena acne pads and decided to give them a try. Here is my routine:

1) Take a shower, rub a pad across my chin for about a minute. Leave for work. My skin feels slightly dry, but it is not bad at all.

2) When I get home from work around 4, I rub another pad on my chin and repeat the same process. This time I can see a little more dirt on the pad from the day. Again, my chin feels slightly dry, but clean.

3) At night after I brush and floss and am ready for bed, I use the C&C gel and rub for about 1 minute. I go to bed, my skin feels slightly dry.

I have been doing this for 2 months and it has worked great. Prior to this, I thought I found things that worked, only to realize it would only last 3-4 weeks, then my acne would come back. I am confident this works and can probably work for many other people.

Here are the links to the 2 products:

IPB Imagehttp://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

IPB Imagehttp://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

Please let me know your results if you try this too!

I think that

it is because you don't put too much 'chemical' on your face.

Me too, I use only cleanser and sunscreen. I think I am clearer than last month when I used to put too much thing on my face.

Anyway, GOOD to found somethings that work! Well Done.

I think that

it is because you don't put too much 'chemical' on your face.

Me too, I use only cleanser and sunscreen. I think I am clearer than last month when I used to put too much thing on my face.

Anyway, GOOD to found somethings that work! Well Done.

That could be it, but I know I had acne BEFORE I used any kind of moisturizers. But you are right, I have been using them for a while and my skin just might not like it anymore.

Honestly my experience with SA was that it did more to reduce the size, redness, noticability of acne then to actually prevent it... at all. But that may just be for me.

The products you have been using:

BP Gel

Tea tree oil

Manuka oil

Vitamin B5

Zeno

St Ives apricot scrub

Many more

are I believe ineffective against acne. i.e. There is no scientific proof whatsoever that they work.

The reason that the two products you've shown are effective is because they have 2% salcyclic acid. (Which is scientifically proven)

There are two clean and clear products that I use that are ok.

Clean and clear wash and clean and clear gel, again the ones with 2% salcyclic acid.

Clearasil :( - they charge twice as much for a quarter amount of benzol peroxide and then call it super altra strength. Don't even touch any of their products.

Make sure the ingredients in the products you use are effective. Manufactures are able (aka clearasil) to put drying alcohol/what do you call that stuff you use to wash paint brushes with on a cloth and call it an acne treatment. These products can actually provoke rather than prevent pimples.

It's the internal ingredients you are looking for forget about what the product is called. I recommend anyone to start with the regimen, but use at least 5% benzol peroxide. Add products as necessary i.e. the ones with 2% salcyclic acid, but with the regimen as a base. If you think you want to give any non scientific treatments a go e.g. "tea tree oil" then use it for a month and see if there is improvement, if not ditch it go back to the regimen and try something else. That way you can see what works and what doesn't. Tea tree oil is good for your skin and has antiseptic properties, but in my opinion it's a myth that it helps acne.

Some products seem to work early on, but have only a short term effect others seem to worsen your acne, but give long term improvement. See the following web site for an overview of how to control acne, building up from the regimen.

http://www.derm101.com/public/freesamples/wintroub002.html,

Be careful with the other stuff.

BP has been scientifically proven to work. I have used MANY bp products that I did not list here including the C&C scrub (10%), neutrogena on the spot, some store brand, and BP gel. None of these worked for me.

The products you have been using:

BP Gel

Tea tree oil

Manuka oil

Vitamin B5

Zeno

St Ives apricot scrub

Many more

are I believe ineffective against acne. i.e. There is no scientific proof whatsoever that they work.

The reason that the two products you've shown are effective is because they have 2% salcyclic acid. (Which is scientifically proven)

There are two clean and clear products that I use that are ok.

Clean and clear wash and clean and clear gel, again the ones with 2% salcyclic acid.

Clearasil :( - they charge twice as much for a quarter amount of benzol peroxide and then call it super altra strength. Don't even touch any of their products.

Make sure the ingredients in the products you use are effective. Manufactures are able (aka clearasil) to put drying alcohol/what do you call that stuff you use to wash paint brushes with on a cloth and call it an acne treatment. These products can actually provoke rather than prevent pimples.

It's the internal ingredients you are looking for forget about what the product is called. I recommend anyone to start with the regimen, but use at least 5% benzol peroxide. Add products as necessary i.e. the ones with 2% salcyclic acid, but with the regimen as a base. If you think you want to give any non scientific treatments a go e.g. "tea tree oil" then use it for a month and see if there is improvement, if not ditch it go back to the regimen and try something else. That way you can see what works and what doesn't. Tea tree oil is good for your skin and has antiseptic properties, but in my opinion it's a myth that it helps acne.

Some products seem to work early on, but have only a short term effect others seem to worsen your acne, but give long term improvement. See the following web site for an overview of how to control acne, building up from the regimen.

http://www.derm101.com/public/freesamples/wintroub002.html,

Be careful with the other stuff.