Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Why me??

Homeopathy?

I have moderate to sever acne... and my mom recommends that I go see a homeopathist. What do you think? Anyone done this before?

My mom believes that western medicine doesnt really cure diseases, they merely supress the disease, while homeopathy can actually cure them. I quite believe in this as well, but I want your thoughts first, should I see a derm or homeopathist first?

I agree. Western medicine can no longer be bothered to cure or even prevent diseases, controlling the symptoms is all that matters here. Try seeing this homeopathirst if you wish, because the only thing a dermatologist will do is give you a prescription, then another one... and so on... until all the years of your life are spent. I apologize for the pessimism, but I couldn't avoid it. Forget the derm for now, but if you must see one, don't let them put you on heavy antibiotics like they did to me.

I disagree. if you have cystic acne, you don't want to mess around with that. I've been seeing a dermatologist for less than a year and my acne, i would say, is 80% better. and it keeps getting better and better. i do agree about the antibiotics. they help but aren't good for you in the long run. i've been on antibiotics for about 7 months and have seen a lot of improvement but, i know if i just stopped treatment without continuing with a retinoid (topical or accutane) my acne would come right back, and long term AB use isn't good because it also kills the friendly bacteria. if you do need to use antibiotics, only use them for a few months tops just to suppress the acne while you give the retinoid time to take full effect.

I disagree. if you have cystic acne, you don't want to mess around with that. I've been seeing a dermatologist for less than a year and my acne, i would say, is 80% better. and it keeps getting better and better. i do agree about the antibiotics. they help but aren't good for you in the long run. i've been on antibiotics for about 7 months and have seen a lot of improvement but, i know if i just stopped treatment without continuing with a retinoid (topical or accutane) my acne would come right back, and long term AB use isn't good because it also kills the friendly bacteria. if you do need to use antibiotics, only use them for a few months tops just to suppress the acne while you give the retinoid time to take full effect.

... How can improving one's health be considered "messing around"? I think that all the little drugs, do a lot more harm than good in the long run.

... How can improving one's health be considered "messing around"? I think that all the little drugs, do a lot more harm than good in the long run.

i didn'tmean messing around with homeopathy. i meant messing aroud with cystic acne. you need to get rid of it before you scar.

i actually went to a chinese naturopath.. he gave me lots of chinese herbs to drink (disgusting!!!.. i literally had to boil bark, leaves.. very weird things.. and drink the dark brown bitter water..yuk).. after doing this for 3 months and spending approx. $2000 (i literally went broke), i said fuck it! and went to a derm... the herbs did clease my system and detoxified me but i still have severe cystic acne and ALOT of scarring... sooo id say go to a derm because they can actually prevent you from scarring and treat your scarring.. i believe in some form or naturopathy and homeopathy (whats the difference by the way?) but at the same time i think its kind of a placebo (you believe it so it works)... the herbs could probably clear mild acne but when it come to severe see a derm asap.. id suggest you find a specialized acne clinic (thats what i did and they are great.. only $25 a visit and they examine your acne thoroughly, talk to you about your problem, and you get as many cortisone injections as you want)

Having spent 5 years working for a chiropractor who also treated me with homeopathy and accupunture, I can tell you none of it worked on me.

I was put on every kind of remedy imaginable. It got to the point that I pissed neon yellow and smelled like a stale vitamin B pill. He tried to cure my heart palpitations, migraines and hypoglycemia and couldn't.

Heart needed surgery.

Migraines needed a switch to a different pill and less coffee.

Hypoglycemia needed a better diet.

Those little drops never worked for me.

Good luck, homeopathy can't hurt you because, I believe, it doesn't do anything. JMO, of course.

Platinum

ps, if it worked, the don't you think the drug companies would be all over it like green on money? :razz:

I think I'll try homeopathy first. I really dont like the idea of depending on drugs for the rest of my life. But if homeopathy doesnt work then I'll go for a derm. And personally I feel to make homeopathy work you have to have some faith in it, maybe it is some kind of placebo.. I dunno, but I've tried homeopathy on other illnesses and it worked.

Guest ~Wolfy~

I think I'll try homeopathy first. I really dont like the idea of depending on drugs for the rest of my life. But if homeopathy doesnt work then I'll go for a derm. And personally I feel to make homeopathy work you have to have some faith in it, maybe it is some kind of placebo.. I dunno, but I've tried homeopathy on other illnesses and it worked.

Homeopathy relies on the placebo effect (the treatments are chemically indistinguishable from water). In acne the placebo effect accounts for 25% of mild-moderate acne.

I agree with your mother. After I started taking Homeopathy it really helped. Only, it takes longer than normal medicine. Eventually, it will work!

At least it's a lot less chemical than Accutane. That's just junk.

I agree with your mother. After I started taking Homeopathy it really helped. Only, it takes longer than normal medicine. Eventually, it will work!

why are chemicals junk?

accutane is definitely not junk. if your holistic medicine doesn't work accutane will.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Really? So the placebo controlled studies are just junk then?

Where are the placebo controlled studies that homeopathy works for acne?

There aren't any, because homeopathy doesn't work.

Where Western medicine is yet to find a cure for a disease (as in the case of Acne), its standard approach is to control and treat symptoms. In the case of acne treatments that means controlling hormones, bacteria, keratinization (sp?) and any other element that contributes to pimples, but none of these treatments (save in some circumstances Accutane) will cure acne.

I am skeptical about homeopathy, but that is no reason for you not to try it. That said, if you have severe acne and you do not show significant signs of improvement within a certain amount of time (i.e. no more than 6 months), dump it. Sometimes people who believe in natural treatments will suggest persevering with natural treatments or trying alternative natural treatments for very long periods of time, even when such treatments are not helping. However, if you have severe acne, this can lead permenant scarring. Good luck.

Perhaps Accutane worked wonders for you, great! But I like to take medicines which are not so chemical. Have you seen the list of side-effects Accutane can cause? And a blood-test every now and then? It's not because the medicine is great for your body. You can at least try something different.

Studies...studies...frankly, no one should bother with what the dermatologists say... I mean, most of them probably never had acne to begin with. What matters is something that works... and you must never say that something is false, when you have no personal experience to back up your idea.

JBHK gave a great answer. Western medicine is the best for trauma but doesn't do anything to PREVENT diseases.

I would recommend homeopathy and holistic solutions for six months. If you really dedicate yourself you should see positive results in one or two months. The first things to improve should be cystic acne which should help prevent future scarring.

Of course, if your cystic acne doesn't improve, then you should probably get accutane.

I have moderate to sever acne... and my mom recommends that I go see a homeopathist. What do you think? Anyone done this before?

My mom believes that western medicine doesnt really cure diseases, they merely supress the disease, while homeopathy can actually cure them. I quite believe in this as well, but I want your thoughts first, should I see a derm or homeopathist first?

don't see a dermatologist. i'm warning you DON'T. please take my word for it. i'm not saying dermatologists don't help anyone, i know they help some people, but with acne anything they give you... for most people the creams or pills makes acne worse. then it gets better again but only to be at the same rate of acne as it was before. i say this because i've done a lot of research and read a lot of reviews and i've even had my own experience with prescriptions for acne from derms. the creams i was prescribed (duac and differin) WRECKED MY FACE. they might help some people but like i said, i think these prescription drugs for acne only help about 20% of people. i mean, i can find store bought acne creams that work better than a lot of the crap derms prescribe. i've never heard of homeopathy, but i guess if it's true that it can cure diseases, i would suggest you try this. just don't see a derm. the grass isn't always greener on the other side, and medicine isn't always good.

Having spent 5 years working for a chiropractor who also treated me with homeopathy and accupunture, I can tell you none of it worked on me.

I was put on every kind of remedy imaginable. It got to the point that I pissed neon yellow and smelled like a stale vitamin B pill. He tried to cure my heart palpitations, migraines and hypoglycemia and couldn't.

Heart needed surgery.

Migraines needed a switch to a different pill and less coffee.

Hypoglycemia needed a better diet.

Those little drops never worked for me.

Good luck, homeopathy can't hurt you because, I believe, it doesn't do anything. JMO, of course.

Platinum

ps, if it worked, the don't you think the drug companies would be all over it like green on money? :razz:

im not attacking you at all platinum, just using your post as an example..

the thing with acne is that if youre continuously putting something into your body that is causing it, no matter what natural treatment youre on, it wont get better. then you have to turn to western med to supress the symptoms, and this med can result in a whole slew of other health problems.

you need to find out whats causing your acne, and elliminate that from your diet. and then go see a homeopath or a naturopath or a chinese med doctor to help rebalance your body after the known-irritant is elliminated.

and the reason drug companies are not all over natural alternatives is because herbs and foods cannot be patented, and therefore cannot be used to make the gigantic sort of profits that synthetic chemicals can be used to make. look at accutane..it is merely high high dose vitamin A..but because it is synthetic vitamin A and not naturally-derived beta carotene, it can patented and sold for a lot of money. besides..drug companies dont want you to get better..who would the sell their drugs to then?

common irritants are GRAINS, dairy, meat, chlorine in your shower water, and harsh chemicals used to wash your face and stuff. talk to whoever you see about an elliminatory diet to figure out if one of the above is causing your acne..or if its just hormonal..in which case you can be put on maca root or evening primrose to help stabilize your hormones.

good luck

Ditto

I've been to a couple of homeopathic doctors over the years, and neither one could do anything for me. I also tried a sugar, flour, and yeast free diet for 6 weeks, thinking this would clear up my acne, and it did absolutely nothing. The only thing that has ever helped me is antibiotics. I refuse to try Accutane, and I have no other alternative. Hopefully, you'll be luckier than me.

im not attacking you at all platinum, just using your post as an example..

the thing with acne is that if youre continuously putting something into your body that is causing it, no matter what natural treatment youre on, it wont get better. then you have to turn to western med to supress the symptoms, and this med can result in a whole slew of other health problems.

you need to find out whats causing your acne, and elliminate that from your diet. and then go see a homeopath or a naturopath or a chinese med doctor to help rebalance your body after the known-irritant is elliminated.

and the reason drug companies are not all over natural alternatives is because herbs and foods cannot be patented, and therefore cannot be used to make the gigantic sort of profits that synthetic chemicals can be used to make. look at accutane..it is merely high high dose vitamin A..but because it is synthetic vitamin A and not naturally-derived beta carotene, it can patented and sold for a lot of money. besides..drug companies dont want you to get better..who would the sell their drugs to then?

common irritants are GRAINS, dairy, meat, chlorine in your shower water, and harsh chemicals used to wash your face and stuff. talk to whoever you see about an elliminatory diet to figure out if one of the above is causing your acne..or if its just hormonal..in which case you can be put on maca root or evening primrose to help stabilize your hormones.

good luck

i actually went to a chinese naturopath.. he gave me lots of chinese herbs to drink (disgusting!!!.. i literally had to boil bark, leaves.. very weird things.. and drink the dark brown bitter water..yuk).. after doing this for 3 months and spending approx. $2000 (i literally went broke), i said fuck it! and went to a derm... the herbs did clease my system and detoxified me but i still have severe cystic acne and ALOT of scarring... sooo id say go to a derm because they can actually prevent you from scarring and treat your scarring.. i believe in some form or naturopathy and homeopathy (whats the difference by the way?) but at the same time i think its kind of a placebo (you believe it so it works)... the herbs could probably clear mild acne but when it come to severe see a derm asap.. id suggest you find a specialized acne clinic (thats what i did and they are great.. only $25 a visit and they examine your acne thoroughly, talk to you about your problem, and you get as many cortisone injections as you want)

What do you mean by "the herbs did clease my system and detoxified me" I've heard others talk about cleansing and detoxifying, but I have no idea what that means and how you'd know it happened. I'm not challenging you on what you're saying because I think you've made common sense comments on the subject, but I really don't know what that means.