Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Whats a good Mulitvitamin??

I think its best to take a mutilvitamin but im corncerned about the iodine levels or iron in multivitamins. Also I would prefer for it to be natural and not synthetic.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks in advance :)

GNC makes a woman's vitamin that has no Iodine and no iron in it. I was taking it but am allergic to soy and that is one of the ingredients, but if your looking for a multivitamin without the above two items, this is one of your better choices.

get one that's yeast-free and gluten-free. and one with all-organic ingredients

You cannot get vitamins will all organic ingredients.

Personally, I prefer the brands Super Nutrition and Rainbow Light. If you are going for a one a day I like the Rainbow Light ones better. Its just a weird personal experience. If they sell Bluebonnet where you live I would go for those too. I am pretty sure they typically don't put iodine in thiers, but always check. Sometimes it can be hard finding ones without iodine.

You cannot get vitamins will all organic ingredients.

LOL! it's my ideal multivitamins. :D i think it's close to being possible. i do get my supplements by buying them separately in bottles. (yep there were non-synthetic minerals i couldnt find it in my stores)

what do you guys think of MENS ONE A DAY MULTIVITAMIN, once that is out, i'm considering CENTRUM. anyone else know a good multi-vitamin, also what is so bad about iodine, and where can i find a multi-vitamin that is organic. thanks

ive never gone to whole foods but ive heard it's got the healthiest products.

what's not good (based on kiesen's book):

vitamin E (d1-Alpha Tocopherol)

inorganic forms of iron such as ferrous sulfate

inorganic minerals and chemicals such as ferric chloride, rancid oil, large amounts of fat in the diet, synthetic forms of estrogen (birth control pills)

inorganic copper

inorganic or ionic magnesium

magnesium sulphate

magnesium oxide

magnesium carbonate

magnesium bicarbonate

magnesium chloride

high phosphorous intake (usually from softdrinks)

inorganic selenium

Ester-C

i prefer taking the supplements individually to get a good dose of each.

inorganic minerals and chemicals such as ferric chloride, rancid oil, large amounts of fat in the diet, synthetic forms of estrogen (birth control pills)

inorganic copper

magnesium sulphate

magnesium oxide

magnesium carbonate

magnesium bicarbonate

magnesium chloride

inorganic selenium

Ester-C

Honestly, I have never heard of buying "organic" minerals. From my knowledge, by nature, minerals are naturally inorganic. The only thing I have been able to find about organic copper is this: "Organic copper consists of the copper element being chemically bound to a protein or amino acid molecule. The term organic refers to the chemical nature of the molecule - proteins and amino acids are referred to as organic molecules in chemistry, whereas sulphates and oxides are called inorganic." So either way it still is not organic in the way that we typically understand organic.

I also cannot understand why vitamin E or Ester C is bad for you.

I bet if you were to walk in to Whole Foods and ask for organic copper or selenium the people in Whole Body would have no clue what you are talking about.

Sometimes, people put out books who make pretentious claims.

Someone tell me if I am wrong about this, though.

inorganic minerals and chemicals such as ferric chloride

rancid oil

large amounts of fat in the diet, synthetic forms of estrogen (birth control pills)

inorganic copper

magnesium sulphate

magnesium oxide

magnesium carbonate

magnesium bicarbonate

magnesium chloride

inorganic selenium

Ester-C

Honestly, I have never heard of buying "organic" minerals. From my knowledge, by nature, minerals are naturally inorganic. The only thing I have been able to find about organic copper is this: "Organic copper consists of the copper element being chemically bound to a protein or amino acid molecule. The term organic refers to the chemical nature of the molecule - proteins and amino acids are referred to as organic molecules in chemistry, whereas sulphates and oxides are called inorganic." So either way it still is not organic in the way that we typically understand organic.

I also cannot understand why vitamin E or Ester C is bad for you.

I bet if you were to walk in to Whole Foods and ask for organic copper or selenium the people in Whole Body would have no clue what you are talking about.

Sometimes, people put out books who make pretentious claims.

Someone tell me if I am wrong about this, though.

i just checked lists of organic & inorganic compounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inorganic_compounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_organic_compounds

you're right but im gonna find out what leo really meant about those as that's exactly how he wrote it.

reg vitamin E, i indicated the bad one as dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate type. it's fully synthetic.

reg Ester C/esterfied C, it is explained as one that's created by reacting vitamin C w/ minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc; and that based on his experience, it didnt seem to give him results.

im satisfied with juicing the lemons/lime from our backyard. :)

If by "organic: you mean organically-grown as in organic food, expect to pay through the roof for some Garden of Life nonsense.

I also cannot understand why vitamin E or Ester C is bad for you [...]

reg Ester C/esterfied C, it is explained as one that's created by reacting vitamin C w/ minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc; and that based on his experience, it didnt seem to give him results.

Ester-C is a proprietary, expensive version of calcium ascorbate that the manufacturer claims is more bioavailable and has a longer half-life than conventional ascorbic acid or calcium ascorbate due to the presence of natural vitamin C metabolites. The calcium ascorbate to make "Ester-C" is heated to produce oxidation products-- you can get the same thing by oven-toasting or pan-frying some vitamin C at home.

If by "organic: you mean organically-grown as in organic food, expect to pay through the roof for some Garden of Life nonsense.

I also cannot understand why vitamin E or Ester C is bad for you [...]

Ester-C is a proprietary, expensive version of calcium ascorbate that the manufacturer claims is more bioavailable and has a longer half-life than conventional ascorbic acid or calcium ascorbate due to the presence of natural vitamin C metabolites. The calcium ascorbate to make "Ester-C" is heated to produce oxidation products-- you can get the same thing by oven-toasting or pan-frying some vitamin C at home.

Ester C is a patented products that has been shown to be more bioavailable and easier on the stomach for those of which regular vitamin C upsets the stomach. I am not some advocate of Ester C or anything like that. Sometimes regular C upsets my stomach, and I don't really have the time to "make" it myself (though I have never heard of this and how effective it really is). Plus, you can get buffered C which is like the "generic" version of it and it is just as good.

I wouldnt recommend multi vitamins.. they always broke me out.

If you're going to take any supplements, take the targetted specific ones instead, it's much more effective.

Ideally though, you'll want to check to get it from whole foods

Ester C is a patented products that has been shown to be more bioavailable and easier on the stomach for those of which regular vitamin C upsets the stomach. I am not some advocate of Ester C or anything like that. Sometimes regular C upsets my stomach, and I don't really have the time to "make" it myself (though I have never heard of this and how effective it really is). Plus, you can get buffered C which is like the "generic" version of it and it is just as good.

I wasn't suggesting that one can make calcium ascorbate, but rather make Ester-C from calcium ascorbate. Ester-C is oxidized calcium ascorbate and there are an extreme dearth of data. As you point out, plain calcium ascorbate is cheaper. Due to the fact that excess calcium will tend to promote calcium deposition in soft tissue (the ascorbate anion may negate this effect, but why take the chance?), magnesium ascorbate would be my first choice although it is not widely available.