Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greg06

Watch out for Hair Loss!

I think it's really important to try not to stress over the scars. Because acne scars are devastating as hell and stress can cause premature aging and possibly speed up the Male Pattern Baldness process that most men will eventually get. Hair loss is probably something to think about if you're currently dealing with acne scaring.

Basically the severe acne took away my life from 18-21 b/c I spent all my time trying to stop the acne and treat the scars and stay out of the sun rather than party and have friends. Now at 22 years old I'm learning that Male Pattern Baldness can start to creep in in the 20s, which is just as devastating as acne scarring. So just a note to the guys out there, it's something to keep on your mind if you're losing a lot of time b/c of acne scarring. B/c if you aren't out there partying now and enjoying your youth, it will be too late if you start balding in your 20s! From my experience stressing over acne scars can boost DHT levels which can possibly lead to hair shedding and more acne....

Acne scars can easily cause stress, it's really important to try to find ways to minimize that stress if at all possible.

Guest Locked In Grace

As far as i'm aware, both acne and baldness are related to a sensitivity towards, and not so much elevated levels of Testosterone. It is something to ponder though.

Guest Locked In Grace

Ha, testosterone.

So people with less testosterone will have no acne and baldness?

See that's the thing, people can have their levels tested and be 'normal', yet still suffer from hormonal acne. I've had it explained to me as being a genetic pre-disposed sensitivity to the Male hormone Testosterone.

Different people, different genetic sensitivities to Testosterone, and different reactions reflected on the skins.

That probably explains why we have acnes (& baldness?) and others' don't.

I have acne and I'm also experiencing hair loss, but I found the cause of my problem to be related to excess testosterone. I am female by the way. I'm actually experiencing a completely different type of hair loss however, but in a way it is similar to male hair loss. About male hair loss, it has a pattern. You usually lose it on the crown or temple areas and it is classified as AGA (androgenetic alopecia). You have high testosterone producing androgens attacking the follicles and converting to DHT. This also depends on your sensitivity to follicles because you can have normal testosterone and still get hair loss. With males it is especially high depending on family history. Hormones are complex and some people who tend to get hair loss doesn't mean they will get acne, there are just too many variants to make such a conclusion, but in the end it does have to do with androgen activity in the system. This is why a lot of women opt for hormone medications to treat their acne to block androgen activity, and it works. Unfortunately, the only reason males can't go on it is because of the feminizing effects it produces on them. Otherwise males could be happy campers. While testosterone can cause acne and hair loss, it is also the prime reason males are males. It's a double edge sword, so they can't try to go hormonal and lower testosterone. For males, this is why they are either prescribed Accutane, antibiotics or topicals to control their acne. But not all acne is caused by hormones however. This is something that everyone has to keep in mind. There are other sources having to do with liver/kidney conditions, contaminants and other health factors. That's why hormonal treatment doesn't work for some people.

I agree (because this idea keeps being repelled by many people as a myth) that stress does have a major contribution to exacerbating hair loss and acne. I know because I am experiencing it.

I have read that stress can exacerbate acne, not sure about hair loss though. I'm 55 and have a lots of fine blond hair. A couple years ago, I was starting to thin on top and a doc recommended propecia (cutting proscar in 4 is cheaper) and/or Avodart. I now have regrown full head of hair. I was never bald, but it helped my thinning hair become stronger. So, it probably won't work on a shiny top.

Some people get side effects (loss of libido etc), but not me. Anyways, these drugs block the production of DHT, which weakens the hair of people prone to MPB. You might want to ask a doc about this for you. It has worked for me and my wife still thinks I need to lower my libido.

Yeah I dont think stress is going to make u go bald at all. It causes stress hormones and messes u up in the same way as anything else could possibly causing slight levels of hair loss. This is caused from the natural hair cycles being screwed up and the follicles shedding at the wrong times. This is why some shed during accutane or on certain meds. The shedding is not forever as the body levels out and gets things under control. Even if u continue to produce high levels of stress hormone your body WILL notice this and fix it.

Male pattern baldness happens to some and not to others. If stress caused u to be bald I swear to u I would be. I am 24 and have the same thick hair I always have.