Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcml07

Chemical Peel Question!

i just did a chemical peel today (im not sure which kind but its suppose to be for my acne pigmentation) . Anyways im curious as to why they told me to make sure i use moisturizer after. isnt the point of a chemical peel to have lots of peeling and that way new skin will form? doesnt using a moisturizer reduce the amount of peeling? any help would be appreciated.

yes but for proper healing it's important to keep the skin as moist as possible at all times. i've had two chem peels and once i let it go a little due to similar reasoning and it was much better to just keep it moisturized and let it peel naturally as opposed to drying it out to bring it on faster. you don't peel any less- it merely speeds up the process but you risk healing problems that way. plus keeping it moisturized for a good few days after you're peeled was advised by my doctor as well.

I believe if you let it dry out it will peel faster and more easily tear before the skin underneath is ready, causing

pigment discolorations that can be permanent.

I believe if you let it dry out it will peel faster and more easily tear before the skin underneath is ready, causing

pigment discolorations that can be permanent.

is the chemical peel help to reduce the appearing of indented scars?

A moisturizer can't reduce the peeling actually - it will make it peel in a more uniform manner. If you don't use a moisturizer there is a greater risk of dyspigmentation.

My dermatologist said to make sure you rub the moisturizer in very gently - almost like you are "putting icing on a cake." If you rub the moisturizer in completely, you risk disrupting the healing process. Be sure not to scrub or rub hard on the peeling skin. This can lead to areas of increased pigmentation.

Also, be careful when you're in the shower. The water pressure can rip some of the skin off and cause pigmentation issues. It's probably better to wash your face very gently with a mild cleanser outside of the shower when you're peeling I've noticed. And don't rub the flakes off when you're washing or showering.

These are just some things my derm suggested and also from the handouts from the peel procedure.

I have found that peeling is an EXTREMELY effective way to fade scars. You don't see results right away but if you do a series of 3 in the next few months you should see dramatic improvements occur as the skin continues to remodel itself.