Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zegogglestheydonothing

First time that I have EVER scarred

Due to the terrible breakouts I got from Differin, I have gotten scarring for the first time ever. Before this, due to genetics or moisturizers or other retinoids, I never scarred. My acne is also pretty bad right now.

I am really frustrated and upset and I need some advice. I have read a lot, but what should I do to stop and fix this scarring? Obviously I am stopping Differin IMMEDIATELY. I don't care what my derm says.

Maybe I can do something to help since the scars are very fresh. I have some tretinoin creme from 6 months ago, maybe that will help.

I am not sure if you can see the scars in the pics but they are there. The acne is the worst I have ever had as well. Also notice my extremely puffy face due to the Differin.

Please help me!

Due to the terrible breakouts I got from Differin, I have gotten scarring for the first time ever. Before this, due to genetics or moisturizers or other retinoids, I never scarred. My acne is also pretty bad right now.

I am really frustrated and upset and I need some advice. I have read a lot, but what should I do to stop and fix this scarring? Obviously I am stopping Differin IMMEDIATELY. I don't care what my derm says.

Maybe I can do something to help since the scars are very fresh. I have some tretinoin creme from 6 months ago, maybe that will help.

I am not sure if you can see the scars in the pics but they are there. The acne is the worst I have ever had as well. Also notice my extremely puffy face due to the Differin.

Please help me!

Yeah u had the kind of acne I had, but DONT squeeze or u will get a huge MOON CRATER. Go on ACCUTANE and dont squeeze!

Please help me!

Yeah u had the kind of acne I had, but DONT squeeze or u will get a huge MOON CRATER. Go on ACCUTANE and dont squeeze!

So, what should I do in the mean time to prevent scarring or get rid of these scars while they are fresh?

Don't Pick. Go on Accutane... Apply Neosporin cream to your face on bigger ones that look like they might scar. Maybe get some antibiotics in th emean time...

Please help me!

So, what should I do in the mean time to prevent scarring or get rid of these scars while they are fresh?

Just let it heal and scab over and dont pick scabs

Honestly bro doesnt look like youve scarred yet and if anything its very superficial and will go away. but you need to get rid of the active acne. I strongly recommend getting on accutane, and if the derm wants to try something else, you need to a) demand it or b) go to another derm that will give it to you.

Thanks for all of the replies! A couple of things...

1) No matter how bad my acne has been I have never gotten scars, but now there are definitely some small ones. When the light reflects off of my cheeks there are small pits starting to form where the acne was. Again, I'm freaking out because this has never happened before.

2) I don't want to make this into an Accutane discussion, but right now I am on Differin and Solodyn (Minocycline). I am stopping the differin (caused what you see) and moving to tretinoin. I am still nervous about the side effects from accutane, mostly chronic joint pain and hairloss. My hair is naturally starting to recede into adulthood and I am worried that tane will destroy my hairline.

I am thinking about intense pulsed light with the palomar system.

1) No matter how bad my acne has been I have never gotten scars, but now there are definitely some small ones. When the light reflects off of my cheeks there are small pits starting to form where the acne was. Again, I'm freaking out because this has never happened before.

2) I don't want to make this into an Accutane discussion, but right now I am on Differin and Solodyn (Minocycline). I am stopping the differin (caused what you see) and moving to tretinoin. I am still nervous about the side effects from accutane, mostly chronic joint pain and hairloss. My hair is naturally starting to recede into adulthood and I am worried that tane will destroy my hairline.

I tried minocyclin and it didn't do anything for me!

I used to never ever scar than I turned 22 and started scarring from even the smallest pimple. Now I'm looking at spending alot of $$$ to get these scars fixed. If u are already starting to lose your hair well you're bound to lose it wether or wether not u go on Accutane. It's easier to get a hair trasplant than it is to get rid of scars. Would u really wanna have acne scars and b bald?

Yes. Hair transplant is easier than clearing the scars.

"Would u really wanna have acne scars and b bald?"

NO. I wanna have NO scars and be bald.

hey how long have you been using differin?

mabye you're still puring? i'm using retin-a micro right now and when i first started puring.. my skin looked a lot like yours. i'm on my 7th week now and everything is getting better.. i think the pimples will come to a head on their own and then pop itself leaving a small scab that will heal quickly.

but if you're getting pitted scars.. that might be more of a problem. i don't think it should be doing that.

anyways good luck!

hey how long have you been using differin?

mabye you're still puring? i'm using retin-a micro right now and when i first started puring.. my skin looked a lot like yours. i'm on my 7th week now and everything is getting better.. i think the pimples will come to a head on their own and then pop itself leaving a small scab that will heal quickly.

but if you're getting pitted scars.. that might be more of a problem. i don't think it should be doing that.

anyways good luck!

Oh, it definitely is from the break out period on Differin...it has only been 3 weeks. However, like I said, I am starting to have scars which has never happened, so I am stopping immediately. Also, I got very puffy from all of the deep closely clustered deep acne caused by Differin. I looked like a chipmunk and everyone kept asking what happened to my face.

Accutane is still an option, but again, I have heard about hair thinning and chronic joint pain, so that really makes me nervous.

Thanks again for anyone who replied!

Just so you know zegogglestheydonothing, you're flippin' hot regardless of whether you have acne or not. Heh, that rhymed. I was on Differin and Erythromycin simutaneously, and they made my skin worse too. I also started to develop scarring at this time like you have. My derm. finally prescribed me Accutane after a year of suffering with severe cystic acne. I am now starting my fourth month and things are improving at a rate much slower than expected. However, I've heard that most clear at the end of the third month. I guess I'm just unlucky with my skin. I wish you the very best of luck getting your skin clear.

I never use to scar at all either before I took minocylcine. After I got off it, my acne got really out of control, and I began scarring left and right. I'm almost postivie minocyline is the cause of my scarring. If I had never taken it, my acne would have never gotten as bad as it did (really painful cysts), thus leaving behind my scarring.

LOL I guess I started all this shit with the hair loss huh? Sorry guys lol

well, reading everything on the acne.org message boards plus the internet and other hairloss boards leaves me to believe that hairloss and thinning aren't that uncommon with Accutane. I guess I will try intense pulsed light after quitting antibiotics and if that doesn't work than accutane as a very very last resort.

my derm put me on differin too, and it only made things twice as worse. when my derm saw what differin was doing to my face, he suggested accutane. i read about the side effects (dry skin, chapped lips, and depression were the only things i was really cautioned about), but i was so desperate to get rid of my acne, i decided to go on the tane despite those side effects

a couple months later, i was clear, with some moderate scarring, but i looked a whole lot better. at that time, my hair was kind of long. i had somewhat of a mop going on. a couple weeks ago i got it cut pretty short, and i was absolutely terrified when i saw my hairline. it had definetly receded some, because it was not like that before i went on accutane, and i must not of noticed when i had my long hair. my hairdresser seemed shocked too, because shes always cuts my hair, and this was the first time we both saw that my hairline was receding (i'm only 18 too, and my hairline should not be receding this far). she tried cutting it to make it look less noticeable, but she just made it worse. i went home and almost cried

now, today, i hear from some of you that accutane can cause hairloss. i was never told that, and i never recall reading about it in the instruction/warning pamphlet. so, it must be true. accutane can cause hairloss, because it certainly seems thats whats happening to me

i'm not even worried about my scars anymore. i'm stressing out more about my thinning hairline, and i'm upset that i was never told before that it could cause hairloss

Couldn't it b possible that if u never noticied the hair loss b/c u had long hair that u could've possibly started losing ur hair b-4 u started accutane and didn't notice b/c like u said ur hair was long. Think about this poss. scenario u knew about the poss. of hair loss so u never went on accutane, so (if it did cause ur hair loss) right now you'd have a full head of hair still you'd prolly still have active acne and your scarring (which usually gets worse if u don't clear up) went from moderate to severe. I think u did the right thing going on Accutane.

Couldn't it b possible that if u never noticied the hair loss b/c u had long hair that u could've possibly started losing ur hair b-4 u started accutane and didn't notice b/c like u said ur hair was long. Think about this poss. scenario u knew about the poss. of hair loss so u never went on accutane, so (if it did cause ur hair loss) right now you'd have a full head of hair still you'd prolly still have active acne and your scarring (which usually gets worse if u don't clear up) went from moderate to severe. I think u did the right thing going on Accutane.

you're probably right. ha