Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just recently cleared up my acne for the most part with a duac/tazorac combo... although I only had a mild case in the beginning. I noticed I have some milia left over. Is there a way to get rid of these? I know i've heard of going to the dermotologist or a physician and having them extract them, but I'd like to see if there's anything new or anything that people think is working for them.

I just recently cleared up my acne for the most part with a duac/tazorac combo... although I only had a mild case in the beginning. I noticed I have some milia left over. Is there a way to get rid of these? I know i've heard of going to the dermotologist or a physician and having them extract them, but I'd like to see if there's anything new or anything that people think is working for them.

If it really is milia, you have to get it surgically removed. Or you're stuck with it forever. If any sort of topical treatment is working, you have whiteheads. Get a pro to extract them.

If it really is milia, you have to get it surgically removed. Or you're stuck with it forever. If any sort of topical treatment is working, you have whiteheads. Get a pro to extract them.

I think it is milia.. A while back, before I had noticed them I tried to remove one by myself and this dryish stuff came out. My derm actually told me that retinoids may help for milia that are closer to the surface, but never really mentioned anything about deeper ones. I did look up some pictures yesterday on Milia and the pictures I saw seemed to be more raised than mine. I have noticed that every now and then my whitish bumps will turn into a zit, but it takes a long time for that to happen.

I guess i can just wait and see what happens for now, and maybe they aren't actually milia. Also, usually I only notice them if I puff my cheeks out.

I think it is milia.. A while back, before I had noticed them I tried to remove one by myself and this dryish stuff came out. My derm actually told me that retinoids may help for milia that are closer to the surface, but never really mentioned anything about deeper ones. I did look up some pictures yesterday on Milia and the pictures I saw seemed to be more raised than mine. I have noticed that every now and then my whitish bumps will turn into a zit, but it takes a long time for that to happen.

I guess i can just wait and see what happens for now, and maybe they aren't actually milia. Also, usually I only notice them if I puff my cheeks out.

Whatever it is, you'll probably want to avoid poking and proding at your face. No good can come of that.

To be honest, i've always been a bit of a picker. I havent gotten a single scar from it, so I figure why stop now? Also, there was one specific pimple that I decided to not even attempt to pop, just to see if it would go away faster, or what would happen to it. The results turned out to be a smallish scar, and now I can even see a smallish clear thing under the scar. Also, it is the only scar on my face.

I think some people have skin that is ok to pick/prod... but others scar easily. If I do pick, I make sure it has come to a head and am very careful not to squeeze too hard.

Thanks for the info though. :)

What you are describing are comedones. Milia never turn into pimples (they are not in the pores, but rather under the skin) and for the same reason you can't really pick them. You'd have to use a needle to cut the skin to reach them. To get rid of milia, you need to cut open the skin and remove the little "pearl" intact and whole. If you break it open you will leave a little bit behind and it will simply reform. So it's best to see a dermatologist if you really have milia. If they aren't in the delicate skin by the eye, it's unlikely that they are really milia.

This is good news - comedones are relatively easy to treat. You need a topical retinoid, and you need to work into using it, don't just jump in to daily use or you'll be a peely red mess in no time. Start with an application twice a week, and gradually increase the application frequency over a period of time, skipping applications any time your skin seems irritated. If you have any inflammation you may want to ask for a topical antibiotic as well.

Thanks for the info! I guess I had always just assumed it was milia because they stuck around so long. I was recently put on a DUAC/Tazorac combo, but have mostly just been using DUAC at the time to get rid of the acne, but will switch to Tazorac at nights. No, the things I thought were milia are not all by the eye.. they are more spread throughout the cheeks and a little on the chin.