Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonb3am

mineral makeup on dry skin?

Anyone here with dry skin use mineral makeup? I got my everyday minerals samples and I have to say I was really dissapointed :( . I could tell I ordered the wrong shades but I still tried them on. It looked bad because it accentuated my flakes and my face looked soo cakey.

I haven't gotten my kabuki yet so I had to apply it with the brush that comes with physicians formula mineral wear. That could be a reason i'm not sure.

I really really hope joppa doesn't look bad on me like everyday minerals did!!!

Anyone here with dry skin use mineral makeup??

just curious, what line did you order, miss moonbeam?

EDIT: oh, never mind, i see that you were using physicians formula. that stuff looks horrible on me too!!!!!!! i tried both the loose and the pressed, and they're both crappy. like thick particles or something. even tho bare minerals had terrible colors AND broke me out, i don't remember the coverage being this sloppy/powdery/fake-looking. in fact, their surprisingly natural coverage was what intrigued me about mineral makeups in the first place.

i'm going to order my Joppa too, as soon as they ("Amy"?) get back to me about my color questions...

i happen to have extreme (wayyyyy oily in parts, & wayyyy dry-to-normal in others) skin, but i do know it's really important to moisturize properly before applying mineral makeup. i've read that everywhere. i even saw it in a list of tips authored by bare mineral's CEO herself, Leslie Blodgett, on an Amazon page. it was in a list of top common mistakes ("people don't moisturize enough"). and definitely having a good brush is up there too.

imho, i think PF would suck either way though. but maybe it works better for you dry-skinned girls? who knows. god i hope Joppa is good! :pray:

Anyone here with dry skin use mineral makeup? I got my everyday minerals samples and I have to say I was really dissapointed :( . I could tell I ordered the wrong shades but I still tried them on. It looked bad because it accentuated my flakes and my face looked soo cakey.

I haven't gotten my kabuki yet so I had to apply it with the brush that comes with physicians formula mineral wear. That could be a reason i'm not sure.

I really really hope joppa doesn't look bad on me like everyday minerals did!!!

Anyone here with dry skin use mineral makeup??

Hiya Moonbeam

Mineral makeup tends to look baaad on dry skin. My skin is oily yet soo soo dry (I know that sounds weird). So when I put on my mineral makeup without moisturizing it looks horrible. You can see all my littel patches of dry skin. I have to us a moisturizer and have been using one for a month now. WIthout it the mineral makeup just doens't work for me, I just look odd and like my skin is shedding. I discovered a great face cream from the Body Shop that does not make me break out. My sister recommened it to me. It's Vitamin E daily lotion with spf 15. When you moisturize and naturally exfoliate your skin you will find the minerals look better.

my skin is oily but flakey. i have to be sure to moisturize very well before applying minieral makeup or i find myself moving around my flakes. i use emu oil before mineral makeup to moisturize. but before i discovered emu oil i used to use cetaphil moisturizer and that did the trick. any decent moisturizer should solve the problem.

longshot, i think you and i might have similar skin. i never even know how to describe mine anymore. as i mentioned earlier, it ranges from extremely dry (flaky) to extremely oily (blotting 30-60 minutes after getting to work, depending on the weather) in other areas. my acne area -- the chin & around the mouth -- is the most unpredictable, volatile part, and the part i pamper. i always feel like i'm tip-toeing on thin ice with my chin. sometimes i feel like it's incredibly dry, so tight that i can't move my face... and sometimes it's the oiliest surface EVER, but at the same time, desperately parched inside those inner layers. sometimes all the layers of the chin feel like i just dipped my face in a vat of mineral oil. most of the time my chin just hurts; a low-grade burning sensation (in fact, i posted about this today, in another forum: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=120852).

anyway, since i read that spikeyli can't use lotions, and that she uses Vitamin E to moisturize... and now that i'm reading that you use emu oil, i'm considering trying one of those too. though a couple weeks ago i did buy some jojoba oil to try, but i think that contributed to a small eruption (though it's hard to tell if that was the culprit, since my skin will break out no matter what, and seems worse lately anyway). i'm not exactly sure how an oil would be a good moisturizer, where a lotion isn't? does oil actually absorb into the skin? i know that vaseline & mineral oil are supposed to just sit on top and "protect"; are other oils different?

i think some of us (definitely me) don't even know what our actual skin types are anymore b/c we've used & continue to regularly use so many products that do things to our skin... that our skin isn't exactly in its natural state anymore. in this skincare book i have, she discusses the difference between the terms "sensitive" and "sensitized," the latter being what our skin has become as the result of what we do to it.

mineral makeup complicates the equation even further, in that it has to sit on top of the skin all day as we try to maintain a particular consistency (not too oily but not too dry) over a period of several hours. so we initially moisturize underneath, to achieve it, and then over time, use blotter sheets & dust on extra finishing powder, to maintain that delicate balance. talk about difficult! i know i have a tough time with it because of the need to moisturize properly; if i do, i'm screwed: even worse oil than usual, constant blotting, & sore skin (from blotting/powdering??). if i don't, i'm screwed too: terrible-looking/cakey/unnatural coverage, and raw skin from general overdryness.

well, there you go... just thought i'd share. :P

ha ha, a lot of what you said sounds familiar. i actually have been able to find moisturizers that didnt leave me too oily...probably the best one i found was lac hydrin five. it has lactic acid in it though, and some might be sensitive to that. however, i decided to try emu oil just because it is more natural and i really like it. i believe (dont quote me on this, but im almost positive) that emu oil is one of the oils that is non-comedogenic. it is not like mineral oil which is highly comedogenic. emu oil doesnt sit on the surface of my skin; instead about 2 mins after i apply it my skin no longer looks oily, like it has absorbed the emu oil. furthermore, my flakes disappear after using emu oil. i have been using it for a little more than a week now twice a day and im pretty confident that it will not cause a breakout as it has not thus far.

so i've been wondering what the differences are (pros & cons of each) between jojoba oil, vitamin e oil, and emu oil? i also wonder what would be the best way to apply them without breaking out. lately, due to my insatiable dryness, i've been applying any moisturizers almost immediately out of the shower. you know, when the skin is still wet, for that whole seal-in-the-moisture thing. but i've heard that maybe it's best to wait for everything to dry (and wait several minutes, as dan recommends with the CSR), to minimize clogged pores? i honestly don't know what would be best.

also, i saw a bottle of "vitamin e oil" in trader joe's the other day, but the primary ingredient was sesame oil. what's up with that??

Emu oil is fantastic for dry skin, so is the Joppa vitamin e and lavendor lotion. I use it on the flaky areas on my face that I know I won't break out (like around my mouth) and around my eyes to keep the wrinkles away.

I have combination skin, and on areas that's dry, it's really dry. The Joppa foundation melts into my skin after 30 minutes and I don't have any problems so far.

I used to use jane iredales Ivory, (had a pink tone).

They swithched to Glo-Minerals, like everything was yellow.

Bought a white like color, hope it will be OK????

i have dry skin and oily skin at the same time--its annoying. i hope my mineral make-up i ordered doesnt make my dry skin stand out. i mositurize twice a day, but its dry because of acne medications i use. i cant help that :(

Thanks for replying guys!

Feeling a little bit better about this.

I will definately moisturize before I put my joppa on.

Will update after i get this!!