Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm seriously beginning to think I have some sort of psychological issue that's affecting my skin. It may sound very silly, but I've become obsessed with it looking red. It started about two years ago, when I contracted the 'slap cheek syndrome' virus, that makes you flush bright red across the face for a few weeks! I'm convinced I look like a traffic light, even though most people would agree I'm very pale. In certain situations, eg. certain places, warm temperatures, I start to worry intensely about whether or not my skin will go red, and feel hot and sore, and usually, sure enough, it does.

For example, on Thursday morning and Thursday evening, I have classes in the same lab. A few weeks ago, on the first evening class, my face became very hot, red and I felt very uptight and anxious. I never have a problem in the morning, but at every evening class since, I've felt like I have just described. I do not understand! It's the same place? How can I react to it so differently? Could it be that something in my head is telling me that my skin will react in the evening class (because it did in the first one) which makes it actually happen due to anxiety? A self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing?

I have no idea who to go to for help regarding this issue. A dermatologist? A doctor? I am fearful for my sanity. I can't stand not knowing whether this is physical or psychological. What do you guys things?

I don't really know if i made any sense. Sorry to vent. N xx

Strange, I am the same exact way. Does it only happen around people? For me, I think about the heat, and the resulting redness, and it just lingers on. Personally, I know it's an anxiety thing for me. It sucks, really.

have people told you this, like are you really really so red that it is noticeable? do you become anxious and then turn red or are you red and then get really anxious about it? maybe you could wear make-up to cover up, i dont know what could cause it.

No-one's mentioned it. It generally happens in public places. Even with people I know well/am very close to. When I go into a situation, I'm generally ok, but then I start obsessing that it's really warm, and I'm getting red, and then... it happens. I get warm and red.

so you get anxious in public places and turn red, i mean i dont think its in your head but i do understand how once its happens on one occasion, you cant see to control it---like for example-- i kind of feel that way sometimes in public, only its a bit different. i hyperventilate if i know i have to do public speaking or if i have to talk in a crowd. and because this happened once to me, i've started thinking to myself I CANT DO THIS, and so i believe it now. i never used to have a big problem with public speaking.

is it harmless though? i mean, turning red in public isnt a big harm to yourself or anyone.....i dont want to suggest some kind of pill, i think that only would mask things....im trying to think if there is something that might be the cause this...i wish i could be of more help! :)

well blushing has a psychological trigger, it syour thinking man, you got to learn to not worry so much, I mean, i got anxiety attacks a few years ago, i am much better off, to the point that i don't shake naymore.

its because we worry so much about what others think, but others have similar problems too..

seeeing a derm, won't help, dealing with your anxiety is though.

feeling hot, doesnt mean you are hot. i used to get that, but now that i think back, no1 ever said anything about it, i just thought it.

Same thing happens here, I'm pretty convinced that it is somekind of mind set thing, like when I am anxious or embarrased i can feel my face go red and stay that way.

There's always a possibility you have a form of rosacea, which is characterized by a red complexion, much easier blushing, and flushing in hot/cold temperatures. Either way, I can TOTALLY relate to you. I'm am obsessed with my skin( particularly, how easily it gets flushed ), and I can't help but think about it constantly. I base everything I do off of it. If something will make me blush( ie, potentially ackward social situation, sports, etc ) I don't do it, because I can't stand blushing/flushing. The worst part about it is that I know which situations usually make me blush, and when I think about it I will blush. My preoccupation with my face has without a doubt ruined my social life. It's difficult to think about how things would be different things would be if I never had problems in the first place. My best recommendation for you is to see a dermatologist if it's a frequent problem. If you DO have rosacea, it's best to start treating it early. If not, there are medications to limit blushing( I'm going to derm soon to ask for this). Good luck.

No-one's mentioned it. It generally happens in public places. Even with people I know well/am very close to. When I go into a situation, I'm generally ok, but then I start obsessing that it's really warm, and I'm getting red, and then... it happens. I get warm and red.

That happens to me. Join the club. :wacko:

I think is stress related. When i was younger i used to be very shy.

When friends and strangers stare at me, i used to get very red and

my body feels like it is burning inside.

It got so bad that i started getting rashes on my face, hands and neck

during stressful situations, especially during drama lessons. A classmate

told me " I think you are allergic to the drama teacher! "

I was so happy when i turned 14 and didn't need to do drama anymore!

The good news is as i got older and became more confident, i don't

have this problem.