Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shiroisasori

HELP! Flakes...

I don't know what to do... my face looks like it freaking has dandruff alllll over it. :cry: I've been doing the CSR for at least two and a half weeks, and I was using 10% BP before I started the CSR using Dan's 2.5%, so my skin shouldn't be hardening worse with a lower concentration of BP, should it?!

I'm using jojoba oil every day, lots of it, both just after I wash my face with Dan's cleanser and mixed in with my Moisturel moisturizer. It's helped with the tightness, but the FLAKES!

At night I usually use the Lac-Hydrin Five mixed with jojoba oil, hoping it might help exfoliate my hideously flaky skin, but I don't know if it's helping much... and I stopped that for now since my skin's so dry...

I can't even use my makeup anymore, it just looks WORSE. :wall:

I cut down on the amount of Dan's BP I use, too, hoping that might help... but short of stopping altogether I don't see what else I can do!

Dear God, help me!

I'm very tempted to try using dandruff shampoo on my face, but I don't know if that'd make my acne worse?! I just neeeeed to get rid of these flakes, they make me feel like a freak. :cry:

it could be your water. having hard water will dry your skin out and make it flake no matter what you do. i just got a shower head with a built in water filter and it worked wonders.

I don't know what to do... my face looks like it freaking has dandruff alllll over it. :cry: I've been doing the CSR for at least two and a half weeks, and I was using 10% BP before I started the CSR using Dan's 2.5%, so my skin shouldn't be hardening worse with a lower concentration of BP, should it?!

I'm using jojoba oil every day, lots of it, both just after I wash my face with Dan's cleanser and mixed in with my Moisturel moisturizer. It's helped with the tightness, but the FLAKES!

At night I usually use the Lac-Hydrin Five mixed with jojoba oil, hoping it might help exfoliate my hideously flaky skin, but I don't know if it's helping much... and I stopped that for now since my skin's so dry...

I cut down on the amount of Dan's BP I use, too, hoping that might help... but short of stopping altogether I don't see what else I can do!

Dear God, help me!

I'm very tempted to try using dandruff shampoo on my face, but I don't know if that'd make my acne worse?! I just neeeeed to get rid of these flakes, they make me feel like a freak. :cry:

Do not use the dandruff shampoo because they contain drying ingredients and will make things worse. How often are you applying BP to your face? What I would do is reduce the frequency of application, drink a lot of water and maybe even try a steam bath once it looks like you mostly have flakes on your face. It should help you exfoliate and get rid of all those flakes. But be careful because if you do this too often or to soon, you will just irritate your face further. In the mean time, make sure you apply a moisturizer especially after the steam bath.

Dear God, help me!

I think you may have started out with too much BP too quickly. We usually recommend people start out low and slow and take a few weeks to build up to the full generous amount.

I would back WAY off the BP until your skin stabilizes and then work up again very slowly.

I agree.

I agree with libbycopeland. You might be starting too fast. Try cutting back on the BP and ramping it up more slowly.

Cam >B)

yep, I agree again.

You might consider skipping the next BP application, and really slather on the moisturizer after you wash. Especially at night just apply a full pump worth of that Moisturel.

When you are ready to begin the BP again, use only a fraction of the full amount, twice a day, and moisturize well and generously. Hopefully this will help get your skin back to a more normal state.

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the help. :wub:

I've already stopped using so much BP, and I'll definitely skip the next application and just use a ton of moisturizer. And then just keep using tiny bits of BP until I'm sure my skin's not going to freak out again.

Might try the steam thing too. :)

Though I think the shower filter's going to be a no-go... I'm currently renting just a room in a house and I don't think I should be making any changes in the bathroom hardware, since none of it belongs to me. ;) But thanks for that suggestion, too!

In the meantime, while I wait for my skin to heal, do any of you know if there's anything I could do as a sort of quick but gentle exfoliation to get rid of some of these flakes for now?

I'd suggest glycolic of sacilyic acid or alpha hydroxy acids for gentle exfoliators =) hope it helps!

I'd suggest glycolic of sacilyic acid or alpha hydroxy acids for gentle exfoliators =) hope it helps!

Salycidic (or however it is spelled) isn't good with BP. As for AHA, it's recommended to wait until you're further in the regimen before adding that.