Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all,

I have oily skin and exfoliation problems, so I was looking into a Glycolic Acid face wash or something that was mild and could be used...I dunno, daily, every other day...Something like that. I don't want a 30%+ tat will rape my skin, I just want something that will keep the oil and skin from clinging together and clogging pores, and hopefully will help exfoliate...I'm reading that Glycolic Acid does just that, so yea...

Question is:

Anyone know a good place to buy a Glycolic Acid face wash? I'm reading that they make them and the usual concentration in them is only 12%, which sounds good. Like I said, I don't want to rape my skin...I don't have scars (except one that isn't noticeable unless you're 2 inches from my face and/or in ambiant light or something...shadowed going across my face...Even then it's barely noticeable so I'm not complaining...) so I'm not looking to strip my skin off, I'm looking to exfoliate and keep oil and skin cells from clogging my pores up.

Exfoliating has helped me some, it seems, but I can't do the ole' fashioned "rub your skin off with something abrasive" anymore, I'm a man with sensitive skin. Sue me. :P

So, anyone know where to buy something like that? Again, nothing major like 30%+ in concentration, that shit is insane. And preferably no Ebay junk, because honestly, you'd have to be insane to put something you bought from a Nigerian named Earl on your face. :P

Thanks guys. I'm currently looking through my mom's affiliate store, Artistry, but am not finding anything so far.

Guest Locked In Grace

Jan Marini Skin Research

Their products are amazing. I've linked you to the Glycolic Acid line. The face wash i use is the Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser. It's very gentle, i've found it less irritating than Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Lotion.

As you will see, they have quite a few GA washes, and other GA products. I also use, among some of thier other stuff, Bioglycolic Bioclear Lotion. Despite it's name, the active is Salicylic Acid, and is AWESOME for clearing acne. It also contains GA and Azelaic Acid, synergistically they seem to work wonders.

The reason i mentioned a leave on product is because you really do need to treat with GA, not just cleanse. These are quite effective products, but are very gentle. I have really sensitive skin and it's taken me a long time to find something i can tolerate, so i can sympathise with the whol 'don't want to rape my face' issue.

James :D

Guest Locked In Grace

That site has no "buy product" buttons I can see...Should I look on like drugstore.com for them, lol?

Where are you located? Your best chance would probably be to contact Jan Marini (the company) and ask for distributors near your location. The website would have contact numbers.

There's the MD Forte line: http://www.skinstore.com/store/category.asp?catID=1831

However, from experience, I believe beta hydroxy acid (BHA i.e. salicylic acid) is also important in addressing acne. Check out Platinum Skin Care: http://platinumskincare.com/10-percent-2-p...eansing-kit.htm In the drop-down boxes, you can select the level of cleanser and toner that meets your requirements.

Some personal observations:

I think a 12% glycolic cleanser might alleviate your exfoliation concerns, but may not be effective in reducing the oily skin issues.

Firstly, I haven't used the products I've listed above, but from my experience with numerous other lines, nothing has been able to address my oily skin except a 30%, 50% or 60% glycolic acid peel. And even these peels have to be repeated frequently to maintain the results.

Secondly, a cleanser alone will be of limited benefit because it only remains on the skin temporarily. An AHA/BHA product that stays on the skin for the duration of the day would be more effective (e.g. AHA/BHA based toner or treatment product).

Lastly, when I don't do the extreme peels, I find I need a salicylic acid based topical product to keep the skin clear. (However, the oily skin condition will return.)

Good luck.

*shrug*

Screw it, too complicated. I'm not going back to smearing crap on my face everyday. It isn't worth it.

*shrug*

Screw it, too complicated. I'm not going back to smearing crap on my face everyday. It isn't worth it.

Sally's beauty supply. ABH beyond belief line. Costs less than $8 for any product works good and they have an 8% GA intensive moisture cream.

My daughter uses Jan Marini Bioclear Bioglycolic ltion, 1 oz. pump. It's tiny and expensive but you can get it cheaper on ebay/ It lasts her about 2 months.

The Bioclear is a combination 12 % AHA glycolic acid (hard to find at that level); 2% glycolic acid, and 2% azelaic acid. It is the ONLY product which has worked well with my daughter I think it is because it has a combination of eefective factors: daughter didn't do well on 2% salycylic acid alone, nor plain old Benzoil Peroxide (it didn't exfoliate her skin, she she has thick skin).

Her routine was to wash with a typical acne type cleaner (like Neutrogena with either 1% or 2% SA) then to apply the Jan Marini Bioclear , then to apply a 2.5% BP in the daytime only, then a moisturizer. At night she would do the same routine and skip the BP.

I know it sounds like a pretty harsh mixture, but in fact, it really wasn't at all, because everything was in low amounts, except for the 12% AHA in the Bioclear. But like I said, daughter's biggest problem is her thick skin exfoliating, it just seems to take forever for it to slough off, and the 12% AHA helps it along. Also, the 2% Azelaic acid helps diminish redness in old acne.

Hope this helps you.

By the way, in theaearlier post I forgot to say that my daughter is 15.

I am 45 and I have acne, and what I found works for ME is Alpha-Hydrox cleanser (white bottle with red print, usually found at Walgreen's) and the 12% AHA souffle. That stuff is killer and stings, but I have gorgeous skin (now) and everyone thinks I am in my early 30's--except for my grey hair!

*shrug*

hey im just bought that abh from sallys, can i use that and do a 30% glycolic peel?