Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

Foundation brushes

I have never ever used a foundation brush before... tomorrow im heading over to target and buying the "Eyes, Lips, Face" brand foundation brush, because I reviewed it on makeupalley and people really liked it.

My question is-- how do you apply makeup with a foundation brush? How do you blend, etc? How is it different from using a sponge or your fingers?

errm look at it like painting.. u just use the brush to spread it from the center to the outer parts of ur face.. .. u might need to blend w/ ur fingers a wee bit after.

ur target has eyes lip face ?!!?

maybe i'm missing out on something haha... what's the display look like?/what brand is it next to? haha

hmm my target switches the displays ALL the time haha.. One day i'll be in a revlon isle.. and I swear a month later.. covergirl is there and revlon is moved somewhere else haha. The E.L.F collection isn't even in an Isle.. its like at the end of one, on the side, if you know what i'm talking about. Just a small display of them.

ohkay hm. i was there today

and stupidly bought a crap covergirl fdtn. lol

i've decided to go fdtn. free for awhile... until my acne gets a bit better.

then im goign to try out joppa minerals..

bm sucked butt lol.

hm. i'll look out for it now!

lol its crazy how much displays are turned around.

When I used liquid makeup, I would put the foundation on the back of my hand and dab the foundation brush in to pick up the liquid. Then I literally paint it on my face.

I just bought my first foundation brush yesterday. What sold me on it was that apparently (and it makes sense) our foundation will last longer, since it doesn't soak as much up as a sponge does. It also seems cleaner. I bought the Red Earth foundation brush and love the smooth feeling. So far so good!

I just checked out the site for Cover Fx where a make-up artist gives tips for foundation application with a brush. If you are using a compact (liquid/powder), here is what they say (just ignore the product names):

When applying Cover FX Total Coverage Cream Foundation, less product is required. Start by swiping the tip of the Foundation Brush across the surface of the compact twice on one side only and apply foundation starting at the center of the face and working your way downwards. If you have applied too much in one area use the clean side of the brush to blend the foundation to desired coverage.

For extra coverage:

Pat or stipple additional foundation where you want it using a Layering Brush or Concealing Brush. Use a minute amount and stay close to the skin as you are patting with your brush. Avoid sweeping the brush as this will sheer out the coverage.

If makeup looks heavy you have probably applied too much. Sheer out the foundation by sweeping a clean Foundation Brush across the area you need to sheer out.

If you're using a liquid foundation they say:

For a healthy, natural look apply a pea size of foundation onto the tip of a Foundation Brush and apply foundation starting at the center of the face and working your way downwards....

Another suggestion is to ask at whatever cosmetic counter you are using, for them to do a demonstration for you on you.

aubreynicole.com. Their brushes are really nice and the quality is very good. No shedding and apparently they buy in large quantities, so they don't run out very often.

I just bought the Sonia Kashuk foundation brush for 10 bucks at Target :D I have yet to use it.. but I am excited. I will keep you updated lol

Guest Sincerely_Me

Mandy, you use liquid foundation, not minerals?

you're going to love putting foundation on with a foundation brush!!! you won't go back to using fingers/sponges/etc.

but don't worry, you'll learn how to put it on and you'll be a pro at it. i learned how to put foundation on with a foundation brush after a few tries, it's very easy to do now and quick too.

you're going to love putting foundation on with a foundation brush!!! you won't go back to using fingers/sponges/etc.

but don't worry, you'll learn how to put it on and you'll be a pro at it. i learned how to put foundation on with a foundation brush after a few tries, it's very easy to do now and quick too.

yay! :D

OMG. I just tried out my Sonia Kashuk brush for the first time about 5 minutes ago. I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! My foundation blended in beautifully and I used less foundation... and everything was covered so well! :D:D Where has this been all my life? :(

When I used liquid makeup, I would put the foundation on the back of my hand and dab the foundation brush in to pick up the liquid. Then I literally paint it on my face.

I do the exact same thing. It works well. I went back to using a sponge once just to see the difference. Ick! I like the foundation brush so much more. It is easier to add more coverage than with any other method I have used. I barely have to use any concealer once I'm finished putting the foundation on. I just go over some areas a couple more times if I need more coverage.

Something that has been working well: I will dot foundation onto spots with the foundation brush one area ahead. For example, if I'm going to do my left cheek and then my forehead, I will dot on my forehead, do my left cheek, and then do my forehead. I tend to get slightly better coverage on blemishes that way. That only works with some foundations though. I wouldn't try it with something that is harder to blend. I would never try that with Colorstay...that stuff is like concrete once you get it on (which I love on those days when my face looks like shit and its pouring rain outside).

i have a foundation brush from lancome, which i am pretty much in love with.. anyway, i'm assuming you are using a liquid foundation, so put a pea-dime sized amount of it on the top of your hand (make sure it's clean ;) ) and lightly swirl the tips of the brush into the foundation, with a fair amount on it.. then using light motions, swirl/dab (try to avoid "painting" the foundation on) the foundation on your face using the brush.

i can't stress enough how important it is that you keep the brush clean.. i have a brush cleaner from sephora called Brush-Out and you just spray it on and wipe it clean with a tissue.. that's probably the least time consuming way to clean it, but you can always soak it in warm water and shampoo or woolite for a few minutes, then rinse it off and let it air dry

i'm not very good at explaining things.. hope i was able to help you

i have a foundation brush from lancome, which i am pretty much in love with.. anyway, i'm assuming you are using a liquid foundation, so put a pea-dime sized amount of it on the top of your hand (make sure it's clean ;) ) and lightly swirl the tips of the brush into the foundation, with a fair amount on it.. then using light motions, swirl/dab (try to avoid "painting" the foundation on) the foundation on your face using the brush.

i can't stress enough how important it is that you keep the brush clean.. i have a brush cleaner from sephora called Brush-Out and you just spray it on and wipe it clean with a tissue.. that's probably the least time consuming way to clean it, but you can always soak it in warm water and shampoo or woolite for a few minutes, then rinse it off and let it air dry

i'm not very good at explaining things.. hope i was able to help you

Thank you for the tips!! :) I am thinking of investing in a lancome foundation brush around christmas.. I heard its the best out there and that it will last a lifetime! lol

I have cleaned my brush every use so far :angel: .. would it be okay if I just used a really gentle facial cleanser and warm water to clean it? =)

Thank you for the tips!! :) I am thinking of investing in a lancome foundation brush around christmas.. I heard its the best out there and that it will last a lifetime! lol

I have cleaned my brush every use so far :angel: .. would it be okay if I just used a really gentle facial cleanser and warm water to clean it? =)

WOW!! After 5 weeks of waiting I finally got my package from ELF!!

The Foundation Brush is AWESOME!! The packaging is really good it comes in a plastic holder with a plastic sleeve over the bristle part. It's pretty long. I first washed it and lay it flat to dry. It dried up pretty fast about 4 hours or so. It felt a bit scratchy on my hand when i sampled it but tried it on my face. Wow it covers really good when using my mineral tinted moisturizer also mineral concealer too. It blends it in nice and it works pretty good. Also the biggest rave is that it was only $1. You can't go wrong with that. I bought 3 and I'm impressed!!!

I also bought the makeup organizer bag + the Clutch. I'm highly impressed with these since I needed one or the other and SEPHORA sells them for about $30. ELF sells them for $10 and wow the material is pretty good nice and sturdy and waterproof looking.

It seems that ELF doesn't have any more weekly promotion as they used to... I guess since they are on high demand on orders!!