Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dan8785

physical activity.. good or bad?

Is the general idea here that more physical activity while on accutane is good, or is it actually bad? I want to keep myself as healthy as possible, but I don't want to take the risk of permanent problems by continuing to work out/run while on Accutane. Or will it be better for me to stay physically active while on it? I know my joints feel a lot stiffer and sore all the time since being on Accutane, and especially bad after running. I take around 4,000 mg of fish oil as well but it doesn't seem to do much for me. thanks!

Is the general idea here that more physical activity while on accutane is good, or is it actually bad? I want to keep myself as healthy as possible, but I don't want to take the risk of permanent problems by continuing to work out/run while on Accutane. Or will it be better for me to stay physically active while on it? I know my joints feel a lot stiffer and sore all the time since being on Accutane, and especially bad after running. I take around 4,000 mg of fish oil as well but it doesn't seem to do much for me. thanks!

CHILL on physical activity. I cut my physical activity down ALOT. Before accutane i used to weight train 3 times a week using heavy weights. when i started tane i stopped, thankgod i did, i dont even wanna imagine what would of happened had i used heavy weights the way my body was. I used 2 play basketball still during tane, however i felt fatigue and was not able to play as much. If you wanna stay healthy while on tane, exercise lightly, do a light job for a short amount of time. If you play sports, dont play anything like tackle football, or baseball we're you'll be pitching. Trust me on that 1. I been off tane 3 months and a week, and i still can't pitch.

Either dont do much physical activity, or do very little and light. If you enjoy playing sports that aren't very rough or contact sports, than i'd say you can still go out and play them, as much as u can (if fatigue kicks in)

Thanks for the reply. I thought something was oddly wrong with me becaue I would fatigue a lot more quickly than I previously would. I could run over 3 miles pretty easily before starting accutane, now I struggle to even do two. I just get completely exhausted doing even that, and am sore for the rest of the day. I also have to stop becaue I suddenly started getting a really bad pain in my right hip/pelvis area. It hasn't gone away since it started, and that was last week.. it really does suck! Ah well, guess I"m just stressing my body a little too much right now.

Thanks for the reply. I thought something was oddly wrong with me becaue I would fatigue a lot more quickly than I previously would. I could run over 3 miles pretty easily before starting accutane, now I struggle to even do two. I just get completely exhausted doing even that, and am sore for the rest of the day. I also have to stop becaue I suddenly started getting a really bad pain in my right hip/pelvis area. It hasn't gone away since it started, and that was last week.. it really does suck! Ah well, guess I"m just stressing my body a little too much right now.

i used 2 go to the bball courts and play basketball ALL day. we sometimes literally played 10 games in scortching weather. being tired was not an option/excuse, we played on and on and on. during tane i was often at times out of breath after 1 game, and i could never play more than 3 games..lasting to play 3 games was even rough.

I really think it depends on the physical activity. I do a lot of hot yoga, which is very cardio, but also no high impact on the joints. I also take spin classes once or twice a week. I have noticed that my knees / hips sometimes hurt a bit more, but not by much. The spin is low impact too... I'm not running on concrete or playing tackle football! My workouts are very important to me... it keeps my head clear. No way I'm giving up for Accutane.

I really think it depends on the physical activity. I do a lot of hot yoga, which is very cardio, but also no high impact on the joints. I also take spin classes once or twice a week. I have noticed that my knees / hips sometimes hurt a bit more, but not by much. The spin is low impact too... I'm not running on concrete or playing tackle football! My workouts are very important to me... it keeps my head clear. No way I'm giving up for Accutane.

I am an old (well, almost 41) woman and I work out very hard. I run 8-10 miles per week, weight train 2x per week and cross train (cyling, walking, tennis, whatever) 2x per week. I haven't noticed any fatigue. I am going to keep this up because, like you , it keeps my head clear. It also keeps me from yelling at my family and breaking things. No one wants to see me on the couch or even taking leisurely walks. Everyone is happier when mommy is sweaty and too worn out to kill anyone :razz:

I would give up accutane before I would give up intense exercise........maybe :confused:

I think each person is different and I may be singing a different tune in a few weeks or months.

Platinum, still workin' it hard.

Hey! I'm with Platinum on this one! I'm a competitive cyclist and marathon runner -- so I train twice per day except Fridays (when I do yoga and less intense activities). I weight train 3x per week, ride the bike 400+ km per week, run 50+ km per week -- and so far, so good! This, combined with my coaching work, hasn't made me more fatigued yet. No excessive joint or muscle pain that I can think of, either. I think the Accutane is doing well, too -- skin seems to be under control -- but damn, my lips are dry!

[And there's no chance I'd give up my training for *anything* -- it keeps me sane, too :D ]

In any case, if you feel fatigued, it's 'usually' best to rest. In my case, fatigue has always been a sign that I'm overtraining. However, if you don't feel that you're doing enough activity -- or less than usual -- it might be good to at least try to get in that little bit of activity each day. Sometimes it can be energizing even if you feel terrible during your workout. Be careful -- talk to your doctor or derm if this persists -- there may be some nourishing foods or other recommended ideas that will help you.

Take care!

~M~

I was incredibly active for the first three months at 40/80mg, running 5 miles four times a week and playing tennis. Not any more though. The 80mgs has really hit my system and i haven't ran in over two weeks. I really have to listen to my body's needs at the moment, cos i don't want to do any permanent damage. My hips, legs, shoulders and arms ache...oh and my butt cheeks were so sore last weekend. Aargh!! I've just started the fish oil so i'm hoping that works a treat.

I'd go easy on yourself while on accutane. Listen to what your body is trying to tell you and you'll feel better for knowing that you're caring for yourself.

Platinum007 and wishbone no offense but, you just barely started your courses at the end of Sept. I want to hear how much physical activity you're both doing in a month or 2. NYMJT is absolutely right. As time goes on you will have to cut back more and more. Even your doctor will tell you that. So if you "would give up accutane before I would give up intense exercise" I'd suggest stopping your course now. There's a lot of things you have to sacrifice to be on this med and this is definitely one of them.

I started accutane about 2 weeks ago and I've had to add an additional day inbetween my recovery from heavy-weight lifting.

I used to lift every other day, now it's once every 3 days.

But nonetheless, i'm still doing it ;). Honestly, you cant really be scared and or not try at all while on accutane, because everyones body reacts differently to the drug, and you might not even have a side effect.

you might not even have a side effect.

Or you might break a bone, or cause a serious sprain/strain. But hey, it's your body not mine.

Accutane will affect the heavy physical exercises. I can barely throw the ball 10 yards without pain on my back or shoulder. I use to could throw 30 yards. Ino I'm weak :( . I'm glad I'm not on a sports team right now. I know I wouldn't be getting any playing time if I was on tane. tane is making me feel like a old man!!

I'm on 40mg a day, in my 5th month, and I work out just as hard as I used to. I run 10 km a day and do weights, and I haven't felt any more fatigued than usual. Sometimes I have joint pain (especially around my period) but nothing that's going to really bother me.

Platinum007 and wishbone no offense but, you just barely started your courses at the end of Sept. I want to hear how much physical activity you're both doing in a month or 2. NYMJT is absolutely right. As time goes on you will have to cut back more and more. Even your doctor will tell you that. So if you "would give up accutane before I would give up intense exercise" I'd suggest stopping your course now. There's a lot of things you have to sacrifice to be on this med and this is definitely one of them.

But I wouldn't stop exercising just because everyone else has. Like i said, I MAY change my tune later. Right now, though, I haven't seen any fatigue. And I have read about tons of people who take one accutane pill and feel like they need to lay around for 6 months. Hmmmm.

Anyways, I will talk to my doctor once again. When I told her that I heard you can't work out she said she rx's tons of athletes accutane and they seem fine.

I think everyone is different. I am not having a lot of the problems newbies are having. Only dry lips. Half the posts I read are people only on the drug for a week and they're having side effects. So I don't believe it's the length of time on accutane in all cases. It's an individual thing.

Until I tear a tendon, I'll exercise :razz: .

Platinum

I started accutane about 2 weeks ago and I've had to add an additional day inbetween my recovery from heavy-weight lifting.

I used to lift every other day, now it's once every 3 days.

But nonetheless, i'm still doing it ;). Honestly, you cant really be scared and or not try at all while on accutane, because everyones body reacts differently to the drug, and you might not even have a side effect.

Exactly! It's individual. I am on week 3 with no side effects (cept the lip fire thing). I don't know what will happen next month or even tomorrow. So I will keep up the intensity and not let MAYBE's scare me.

Platinum

ps I also read it's more difficult on growing young people. I'm older and am no longer growing.....just dying. ;)

Platinum

I'm on 40mg a day, in my 5th month, and I work out just as hard as I used to. I run 10 km a day and do weights, and I haven't felt any more fatigued than usual. Sometimes I have joint pain (especially around my period) but nothing that's going to really bother me.

Thank you.

Likewise, I've increased my work load in gym, started jogging and play basketball twice everyday at school. It's been harder at times but nothing out of the ordinary. Sometimes I forget that I'm even on the drug

Have there been any studies completed on the effects of physical activity + Accutane -- with definitive results? From what I've been told and have read, the average weekend-warrior might feel a bit sore after some not-so-regular physical activity -- but it's nothing that can't be taken care of with good recovery methods, rest and some ibuprofen. I don't know of any risk of long-term damage from exercise ... unless aches and pains are considered 'damage' to some :lol:

My physicians are well aware that I'm a competitive athlete (it is my job, after all :shhh: ). If I had just started to increase my training volume, or had just recently started some sort of new physical activity, I might experience soreness -- but I think my body is well accustomed to the amount of training I do. I figured that since I actually train less in the fall and winter months that this would be a good time to take Accutane, but mainly because I wouldn't be in the sun so much here on the Wet Coast ;)

I would be concerned about high triglyceride levels from the Accutane if I decreased my training volume. Yep, I'm getting older -- got to look after the ticker! And weight-bearing activity keeps my bones strong -- very important for aging women. Really, though, my body bikes and runs and lifts almost more than it does anything else. I'd probably go into shock if I stopped training (nevermind be fired from my team)!

I do sleep well and eat incredibly well -- it's as much a part of being an athlete as training and racing is. I really think this might have something to do with how well I seem to be adjusting to the Accutane. I just increased my dose today -- and, after three weeks, I still feel fantastic. I'll be sure to report if I begin to feel lousy at some point over the next four months. Perhaps I could serve as a reference for those athletes who do take Accutane at some point. Then again, we are all so very different in many respects ...

My second race since taking Accutane is this weekend. Wish me luck, and I'll be sure to report back with how I feel after the race. If I'm going to hurt more than usual, it'll be then :doh:

Take care!

~M~

After reading these posts, I guess I would say you should go easy but keep working out. The first week on accutane I got bad shin splints. Now, I knew they were coming on before accutane but ignored them (stupid. You wanna talk about long term damage....). Well, when they flared I treated them like I should have when they were just starting, with ice, stretching and lightened workload. Now, 3 weeks into it and shin splints are gone.

And maybe this is a temporary side effect for you.

Good luck,

Platinum

I'm an avid tennis and basketball player and I also run and bicycle. I didn't change my routine at all while on Accutane and I had no ill effects other than being a little more sore than normal after a couple hours of full court basketball. I'm now 22 weeks post-Tane and the soreness was gone within 4 weeks of the end of my course.

I'll vote with those who say it's individual and you really can't tell everyone to stop their workouts. You have to be aware of what your body is telling you and adjust accordingly.

My biggest concern while on Accutane was with my fragile skin. While playing basketball, you're always getting swiped or clawed at (especially when you like to drive to the basket like I do). I walked away bleeding every day, but fortunately it was only on the hands and arms. I was concerned that someone was going to take a big chunk out of my face, but it never happened. I know I was taking a chance, but I love to play so much that I was willing to risk it.

So, keep working out but listen to your body!

P&W

Well, good luck at the race. Please let us know how you did.

I was watching this show about a person going through chemo and he worked out very hard during the whole thing. He actually gained weight and strength. I would guess that chemo is a lot harder on the body then accutane.

Platinum

My biggest concern while on Accutane was with my fragile skin.

Yeh, the fragile skin things sucks. I mountain bike too, and the constant grazes don't help!! :( lol Oh well, if it means clear skin, its worth it

I am a runner/triathlete and have been fine on the 'tane. I got my bone density tested, so no worries there. My biggest thing is that I get fatigued and dehydrated more easily, but I don't let that get me down :)

Yeah, skin frailty sucks. I played slowpitch this summer, and was catching one game and the ball bounced off the edge of the wooden strike board and skimmed my chin. It barely touched me, and normally wouldn't have been an issue at all, but it scrapped the one layer of skin I had left and I bled quite badly for about 15 minutes. My hands are all chopped up just from barely bumping them into things.

But, my workouts haven't changed since I started. I do tend to feel more fatigued at times and sometimes will take a day off from working out, but I usually get in 3 weight days and 3 cardio days a week on average.

Do what most people are saying here, listen to your body, rest when you feel you have to, work out when you can. If you had to worry about a broken bone all the time, you might as well never step outside of your house for fear of breaking an ankle on your front steps!!

Just My Opinion

Im exhausted lately.been on the tane for one month now...i am very active with Football.im so exhausted after playin :(

Im exhausted lately.been on the tane for one month now...i am very active with Football.im so exhausted after playin :(

I think young people are affected by accutane fatigue more than older people.

I'm curious. How would I do a poll or something like that? Age related to fatigue or joint pain?

Hope it's a temporary side effect for you.

Platinum