Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maya

Anna! - About TGF BETA-1 (Renova/Jan Marini Products)

Hi Maya,

Yes, I saw this product line and in fact wrote to them. Oddly enough though they put TGF B1 in their products which is the exactly the growth factor that is the CAUSE of increased scar tissue forming. In his paper Dr. Ferguson used TGF B3 to decrease the impact of TGF B1. However, I still have questions to which I don't yet have clear answers to.

The main one would be:

Is are all scars comprised of scar tissue which is different than healthy tissue? For instance, most of my scars are indented or under the level of the rest of my skin.

Is this because scar tissue which is more fibrous and therefore once the scar tissue formed my healthy skin cells were prevented from migrating to fill in the indentation or is the indentation JUST because not enough healthy tissue was deposited?

TGF B1 causes an increase in scar tissue. So, even though it wouldn't be healthy tissue would it be better to have a scar with more scar tissue and therefore less indented? In that case using TGF B1 might help. I would really like to speak to a scar researcher about this.

I am going to do a search today and see if I can find anything on TGF B1 knockout mice and see what the impact is of complete lack of TGF B1 would be.

I'll let you know what I find out!

Anna

Thanks Anna - I'm a bit confused about the beta 1/3 thing - just saw the products and thought I'd pass them by you.

I knew you would have something intelligent to say about it! biggrin.gif

Look forward to seeing what you find out.

Well,

Complete lack of TGF B1 is a fatal flaw and such mice do not live beyond two weeks. YIKES! The mystery continues! I would love to sit down with a really well informed researcher.

The quest continues!

Anna

Definitely keep researching this as I will now. I hope the solution to indented scarring is close with this one [-o<

This is actually used to combat hairloss....The reason being is that TGF has anti inflamatorry properties. So, I don't know how it could effect scarring, but I have to be honest I didn't click on youre link so maybe I missed some info along the way. Keep in mind that there are two TGF; beta 1 and beta 2. Here are some links. There is also a Japanese product that works on the basis for TGF (its for hairloss)....

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az...10015&mode=full

This is a study just in greater lenth/detail

http://www.geocities.com/hairstuds/12173.zip

Thats just some quick links....you could go to the "their" fourms and find more through a search. The product that I mentioned earlier is T-Flavonnal (T-Flav for short) made by Kao. I dont know how it would effect scarring, but maybe there could be some other underlying mechanism at work...Just as a side note minoxidil (used to gorw hair) is another TGF product...

PS: St. John's Wart contains TGF properties and thats what's used in the Kao product

Hi Adam,

You really should read the study below:

http://jcs.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/108/3/985.pdf

It was published in 1995 by Dr. Mark Ferguson now of Renovo Limited.

There are actually three TGF factors; Beta 1, 2, and 3 and the effects of the three are so varying I am not sure I would agree in saying "they" are anti-inflammatory. I would agree that TGF B3 is but from what I have read about TGF B1 is probably inflammatory.

The research into these and other growth factors is just exploding. TGF is being researched for it's impact on alopecia (hair loss), post injury muscular treatment for athletes, and our greatest concern ~ wound healing and scar prevention and ultimately eradication of existing scars.

My best!

Anna

I just wish they could get some serious products into the market - it's long due.

If you want a tip...the newest discovery is Thymosin b4 (tb4). It has extensive wound repair, and is being marketed for that, as well as a hairloss cure:

THYMOSINE BETA 4 PROMOTES WOUND REPAIR AND HAIR REGENERATION VIA A SEVEN AMINO ACID ACTING BINDING SEQUENCE.

D. Philp, B. Scheremeta, M. Elkin, and H.K. Kleinman

National Institutes of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA

Thymosin β4 (Tβ4) is a ubiquitous 43-amino acid polypeptide that is an important mediator of cell migration and differentiation. It promotes endothelial cell migration, tubule formation, and aortic ring sprouting in vitro, and angiogenesis in vivo. It also accelerates dermal wound healing and reduces inflammation when applied topically in rodent models. The mechanism by which Tβ4 acts has not been determined. Using proteolytic fragments and synthetic peptides, we found that the 7-amino acid actin-binding motif (T-3) on the Tβ4 polypeptide is essential for its angiogenic activity. Migration assays with human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) and chick aortic arches assays conclusively show that Tβ4 and the actin binding motif portion of the peptide display near identical biological activity in the nanogram range while peptides lacking the actin motif were inactive. While studying accelerated dermal wound healing properties of Tβ4, we found that it also stimulates hair growth in vivo. Rodent models show improved hair growth when treated topically with either Tβ4 or T-3 fragment. Vascularization and extracellular matrix (ECM) remodeling play an integral role in both wound repair and hair growth. Our preliminary results indicate that Tβ4 significantly affects production of matrix-degrading metalloproteinases (MMPs) by HUVECs and human foreskin fibroblasts (HFFs). Western blot analysis showed increased MMP-1, -2, and -9 expression by both cell types when exposed to nanogram quantities of Tβ4. Immunohistochemical staining of wound and skin sections showed increased levels of MMP-9 in Tβ4-treated wounds and in the bulge region of the hair follicles of Tβ4-treated rodent skin. These results demonstrate that the actin-binding motif of Tβ4 is essential for the angiogenesis, wound healing, and hair regeneration activity. These studies also provide insights into MMP-dependent mechanisms of action of Tβ4 in vascularization, wound repair, and hair growth

Here some more Links:

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az...ing_type=search

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az..._id=12954&page=

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php?az..._id=12954&page=

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2002/feb200...ort_tb4_01.html

A company in Taiwan will release Tb4 sometime in 2005, and they just applied for there patent and recieved, so hopefully they can pull through on their timeline...However, you can get this manufactured by an independent lab in China, but it expensive, and not entirly stable (has to stay at -20 F)...

Adam,

The whole field is so interesting. There are literally hundreds of studies published out there talking about a few dozen growth factors and their respective impacts on wound healing.

You would think that with mega computers that somebody should be able to compile the information into a comprehensible whole to create a clear flowchart of the entire cascade of processes necessary to create perfect wound healing. Paul Martin when he was at U C London also had a very interesting paper where he was talking about the difference between adult cell healing migration which is upward and fetal cell migration which is purse string. The purse string migration results in perfect healing because the migrating cells remain parallel with the unwounded skin.

With every paper I read I feel like I am just looking at a small facet of what will turn out to be a huge crystal. I wonder about all these small companies patenting bits and pieces of the whole process.

My best!

Anna

I found Prof F's email on the website... asked him what he could do for my face.. just got his email:

Dear Maya

Thank you for your email of 23rd October 2003.

At the present time Renovo’s drugs are in the early stages of clinical development that means that we run clinical trials in clearly defined patient groups with designated investigators at specific sites. This is of course in accordance with the proper, but strict rules and regulations that govern the development of any new pharmaceutical medicine. At the present time we are planning to start clinical trials in 2004 in the areas of mole removal, breast surgery, scar revision and skin graft donor sites. Unfortunately we have no current clinical trials planned in the area of acne scars. This is of course an area of interest to us and I am sure should the drug continue to be safe, well tolerated and efficacious we will move into those studies in due course.

You can find out more about Renovo on our website www.renovo.com.

So the positive news is that there is hope. We have drugs under development and despite being at an early stage are showing considerable promise. I suspect it will be some 3 – 5 years before anything is available and that estimate assumes that we encounter no hiccups on the way.

Thank you very much indeed for your interest in our work.

Kind regards.

Yours sincerely

Professor Mark WJ Ferguson