Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ErynG54

Testing for Hormones???

I have had acne for a long time now (since I was about 18...I am now 24)...for some reason I just ignored it for the longest time, just assuming it would get better. I can't believe I thought this way for so long...it really baffles me now because I cannot believe what I've allowed to happen to my once nice skin. My breakouts really lessened about a year ago but the texture of my skin still wasn't good. Then I developed insomnia after breaking up with a long term boyfriend and my skin just went to crap. I am still struggling with this. It may sound silly, but I didn't look at myself too closely in the mirror for many years because I hated the way it looked, and it's only been recently that I've really stared long and hard at my face. I've only recently realised how dramatically my skin has changed over the past couple of years. I used to have smooth looking skin overall even when I had pimples on it...now I have huge pores, red marks and scars, and my skin actually seems to have sagged a lot. I've also got dark circles (i've always had them but they have gotten worse) and have developed fine lines under my eyes. I seriously have the skin of someone in their 40s. I'm only 24!! I got so freaked out that I finally went to my doctor and asked to get all kinds of bloodwork done. I really think I am aging pre-maturely. I asked for my thyroid to be tested and I also got tested for a bunch of other stuff. When I asked for my hormones to be tested my doctor said "we don't really test for those." I am very confused. The form I was given to take to the lab did not have any check boxes for hormones like estrogen, testosterone, etc. to be tested. My question is...how exactly are the levels of these hormones tested? Does anyone else suffer from pre-mature aging of their facial skin?? Or pre-mature aging in general? I am so upset and freaked out. I have to wait until next week for my doctor's appointment to discuss the results of my bloodwork.

They should be able to test for hormone imbalances through blood work...I mean they ttest hormone levels in athletes, namely testosterone, so why shouldn't your Dr. be able to test you? If you look uo POlycystic Ovary Syb=ndrome, testing your testosterone levels is usuaulyl a diagnosing factore...something about free testosterone vs. non-free....

Try another DR.

Aklso-retin-a might help your skin...

Thanks for the response.....ya I have no idea what the doctor was talking about when she said they don't really test for hormones. She asked me if my cycle was regular and I said yes...and she seemed to conclude that therefore my hormones were okay. Grrr...makes me mad. I have an appointment next week and so am going to insist again that I get tested.

I was thinking of trying Retin-A. I've been trying various things likedrinking green smoothies, flax and fish oil, eating more fish, veggies, and cutting out a lot of carbs. Oil production has seemed to decrease. I used to have a lot of acne on my back and it's really calmed down. I've also started using neutrogena healthy skin lotion and it is helping to smooth my skin a bit....but it's also revealing a ton of ice pick scars I didn't even know I had. Things are such a mess. Sigh....Does Retin-A require a prescription??

Yes, at higher concentrations that work better on moderate active acne, it requires a prescription. Works for me like a chram though...every single time I used. I probably owuld hav eused that instead of accutane but I had excema so bad I couldn't use topicals. Now that it's sybsided I'm going to ask my DR. tomorrow for Retin A.

There is Green Cream, in the states, that's over-the-counter retin-a, but I think it's more for after you're one with acne and want to lessen marks and discoloration.

Will accutane work for hormonal acne? Ive heard that, if acne is hormonal acne will come back after accutane course. True? Seems like it is for me...

Will accutane work for hormonal acne? Ive heard that, if acne is hormonal acne will come back after accutane course. True? Seems like it is for me...

I'm always inclined to think mine is hormonal for some reason and I've been on accutane twice. Both times it cleared for a while but just comes back again. I'd never advise anyone to go on accutane - just heard too many crappy stories (some fatal) and it seriously screwed my body over the second time....

I think you have to see an endocrinologist for hormone testing, and you probably need a referral form your GP.

You should look into Dr. Geoffrey Redmond. He is an endocrinologist in NY and is well-known for helping cure women with hormonal inbalances. He also has a great book, "The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman". Also, you should check out spirinolactone, it's great for hormonal acne.

You should look into Dr. Geoffrey Redmond. He is an endocrinologist in NY and is well-known for helping cure women with hormonal inbalances. He also has a great book, "The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman". Also, you should check out spirinolactone, it's great for hormonal acne.

Unfortunately I live in Calgary, Canada. I will look into spirinolactone though. Does it work because it helps to balance hormones?

Unfortunately I live in Calgary, Canada. I will look into spirinolactone though. Does it work because it helps to balance hormones?

No, it just blocks the testosterone from being able to interact with the skin and make you get a pimple! Supposedly works great...I've been on 150 mg/day for 2 months!