Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MelbaToast

Help! I can't make my mind up!

:think: Hi, I just finished my tenth pill of Accutane. I'm very worried about long-term eye and liver damage. And depression. Also after my 8 month treatment I hear the damn acne usually comes back after 2 months!

I just want the blackheads and cysts on my back to go away for good and thats why I started accutane. Im not expecting perfect results at all, just that I have smooth skin.

I am a hypocondriac I cant help it.

I dont know if I can handle having clear skin while on the accutane then im off and it comes back I might die. Its like a tease!

someone please reassure that im just freaking out and ill be just fine and this will all be worth it.

i heard from other ex-accutaners they stayed clear for even years. some say their skin became oily again but not as bad as before and still got no acne.

i'd suggest you search around the diet/holistic section for liver strengthening methods. it's usually starting with clean diet then supplementing with EFAs, vitamins and minerals then other detoxification methods such as liver flushing.

:think: Hi, I just finished my tenth pill of Accutane. I'm very worried about long-term eye and liver damage. And depression. Also after my 8 month treatment I hear the damn acne usually comes back after 2 months!

not true, for some people it does but for most it doesn't

are you having bad side effects or are you just worried about them. if you seem to be doing allright on the medicine, i would continue using it.

I have been off accutane for 3 months, 6 days after a 5 month course, and I haven't had a pimple in about 4 months. My skin still isn't the same as it once was, but today my face looks real good, I shaved and my face still looked good, and looking in the mirror, i can hardly notcie that I once had acne.

Now my back is a different story. No bacne, but im talking bout aches. My back isn't BAD BAD, but it aches and can really bother me sometimes. That they said happens to 15% of patients... Are you really into sports and very athletic?

Thanks guys. *sigh*

I'm glad u all arnt yelling at me like my Derm would. I SWEAR shes in it for the $.

I go to the gym prob 3-4 times a week. The only thing I have is cystic acne on my back. none on my face. I ALREADY have terrible scars there from a long time ago. Theres no excaping that. Ive got scars all over my body. What I really want is to touch my back and not feel all these nasty blackheads and hard cysts.

So far only mild dry skin and chapped lips and dry eyes.

Im keepin my eyes lubed as much as I can, cuz my WORST fear is having to wear glasses for the rest of my life! Shouldnt I be okay if I keep my eyes moisturized.?

guess ill go ask my derm after this month is up about all this. This is so shitty that I am cursed with Psoriasis AND Nodular Acne.

sorry for bitching. im sad now :~(

Thanks guys. *sigh*

I'm glad u all arnt yelling at me like my Derm would. I SWEAR shes in it for the $.

I go to the gym prob 3-4 times a week. The only thing I have is cystic acne on my back. none on my face. I ALREADY have terrible scars there from a long time ago. Theres no excaping that. Ive got scars all over my body. What I really want is to touch my back and not feel all these nasty blackheads and hard cysts.

Im keepin my eyes lubed as much as I can, cuz my WORST fear is having to wear glasses for the rest of my life! Shouldnt I be okay if I keep my eyes moisturized.?

guess ill go ask my derm after this month is up about all this. This is so shitty that I am cursed with Psoriasis AND Nodular Acne.

my derm was really into me taking accutane. I went to two, the woman said take accutane and get it over with, the other one, this jewish guy said you dont need accutane, and he pretty much said come to me once a month for the next few years. The woman derm made me feel like she'd get paid if I took accutane thats how much she was pushing it on me, so i dint listen to her at 1st.. But then I realized, if i take accutane and go to her once a month for 5 months, then thats it. if i dont take it, i can go to her once a month for however long or i can go to the jeiwsh derm and do his treatment for however long with it not working. So i figured she wasn't being money hungry.

I just want the blackheads and cysts on my back to go away for good and thats why I started accutane. Im not expecting perfect results at all, just that I have smooth skin.

I am a hypocondriac I cant help it.

I dont know if I can handle having clear skin while on the accutane then im off and it comes back I might die. Its like a tease!

someone please reassure that im just freaking out and ill be just fine and this will all be worth it.

Long term eye damage I don't think comes from dry eyes. If you have trouble with night vision or even day vision, though, tell your doctor.

Liver damage: they check for that every month so I wouldn't worry about it. You liver isn't going to be damaged unless you take vitamin A, drink too much alcohol or maybe take too much Tylenol. And even then they test you often so they can see if a problem is starting.

With depression, let everyone know to watch you. If you start acting strange tell them to tell you or your derm. My derm said I can go on an anti-depressant if I, and this is her exact words, "get a little weepy." :rolleyes:

And about the acne coming back in 2 months, I have heard just the opposite. Some have a long remission and others are "cured" and never see ance again.

I am a hypocondriac, too, so I know what you are going through. My bet is that most people on this site are worriers. And I bet the majority of accutane users just pop their pills, do the monthly tests and smear on vasaline without ever Googling "accutane liver damage blindness death". :razz:

Try to relax and if a side effect shows up that worries you, call your doctor.

Good luck,

Platinum

Thanks guys. *sigh*

my derm was really into me taking accutane. I went to two, the woman said take accutane and get it over with, the other one, this jewish guy said you dont need accutane, and he pretty much said come to me once a month for the next few years. The woman derm made me feel like she'd get paid if I took accutane thats how much she was pushing it on me, so i dint listen to her at 1st.. But then I realized, if i take accutane and go to her once a month for 5 months, then thats it. if i dont take it, i can go to her once a month for however long or i can go to the jeiwsh derm and do his treatment for however long with it not working. So i figured she wasn't being money hungry.

What kind of incentives do you think the derms are getting for rxing accutane? It's so cheap! It never occurred to me that my derm was in it for the money. And she is a big time accutane pusher. Plus she rxed generic which only costs me $10 with insurance.

And it's not the office visit fees because I was in there 2x per month getting injections. She'd make more if I stayed on the crappy topicals she had me on for 3 years.

I wouldn't be afraid of the side effects and keep going, but it's really up to you.

But, if you are hesitant and feel awful every time you take a pill.... you have to weigh if it's worth it for you.

I feel MUCH better thanks :) Oh and what are u talkin about? My insurance will NOT cover Accutane. Or eyesight. Nothing cosmetic. Sooo therefore $270-500 a month depending on the brand!

But really tho thanks for the great replies. I feel better. And i try not to take vitamin A stuff. I take 800mg vit e instead.

im glad im not the only hypocondriac on here

--> haha "accutane liver damage blindness death".

Oh and what are u talkin about? My insurance will NOT cover Accutane. Or eyesight. Nothing cosmetic. Sooo therefore $270-500 a month depending on the brand!

Holy crap :shock: ! Geez, if I could I would have my derm double my dosage and I could sell you the packages I don't need.

I do have a full 30 days of Bactrim if anyone wants it. Can I go to jail for that? :doh: I hate to see expensive meds go to waste.

Platinum