Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
answerme

white bumps (w/ pic)

white bumps just below the shoulders. ive been using Head & Shoulders clean & balanced on it, been on accutane for almost 6 months now, used vmv hypoallergenics id sweat acne and overall anti-bacterial monolaurin gel and soap with salicylic acid on it but they're still there. they've been there for months already to almost a year i guess.

i've no more red bumps on my back. just these white bumps and hyperpigmented spots from old zits.

i also have these bumps on my chest, plus lots of tinier bumps (chicken skin?).

i posted this too at the member's gallery section.

IPB Image

H&S got rid of it for me... however my skin dried up and peeled and cracked and that's probably the only reason it's gone. It basically destroyed the layer of skin that was keeping those clogged pores from clearing.

I've disected these bumps before, haha. It's a lot like a blemish only the puss is basically hardened, and that's why they never go away. It can be painful to get them out, but that's the only other way to get rid of the other than H&S, which I did. And when you have so many of them, trying to fix them individually sucks.

H&S got rid of it for me... however my skin dried up and peeled and cracked and that's probably the only reason it's gone. It basically destroyed the layer of skin that was keeping those clogged pores from clearing.

I've disected these bumps before, haha. It's a lot like a blemish only the puss is basically hardened, and that's why they never go away. It can be painful to get them out, but that's the only other way to get rid of the other than H&S, which I did. And when you have so many of them, trying to fix them individually sucks.

dissect?!!! :shock: how the heck do you do that? that's sounds different from the normal comedone extractions. i tried once to extract one of the bigger bumps using the metallic comedone extractor (the one with loop at one end) but it just hurt and nothing really came out. im guessing dissecting would leave scars.

btw, H&S doesnt seem to be doing much but im yet to see. ive been using it for only about a week.

P.S. ariventa thinks this condition is keratosis pilaris.

Haha well, I mean I basically just scratched at the top of it to weaken the skin covering the pore and forced it out.

erh...talking about this makes me queasy lol.

I have those, don't worry about them they're not real noticable and anyone who is that close to you is likely to love you enough that they won't care if theres a little discoloration on your skin =)

i kind of have that to. nothing gets rid of it for me! you can only really see it in natural light.

mine looks more awful under the fluorescent light.

so minor u shoodent even worry about stuff that mynoot

well it keeps me from wearing sleeveless shirts. it looks ugly enough to me.

Haha well, I mean I basically just scratched at the top of it to weaken the skin covering the pore and forced it out.

erh...talking about this makes me queasy lol.

makes me queasy too. and i thought you were masochistic. :D

I have those, don't worry about them they're not real noticable and anyone who is that close to you is likely to love you enough that they won't care if theres a little discoloration on your skin =)

thanks. i hope everyone around thinks that way. :)

ok i just went to my derm some hours ago and asked her about d white bumps. she said it was due to havin dry skin. i sort of had the 'eh?' reaction to that response.

but she did prescribe me STIEFEL Physiogel Hypoallergenic Cream with physiological lipids to protect and restore healthy skin, non-comedogenic, contains no colourants, no perfume and no preservatives.

it also says in the box: Physiogel Cream is a hypoallergenic, moisturizing cream that provides physiological lipis in derma membrane structure (DMS), a structure similar to the skin, hence revitalizing dry skin. Physiological lipids are natural and essential components of normal healthy skin.

it contains water, caprylic/capric triglyceride, glycerin, pentylene glycol, cocos nucifera, hydrogenated lecithin, butyrospermum parkii, hydroxyethylcellulose, squalene, sodium carbomer, xantham gum, carbomer, ceramide 3.

i'll start using this later. i'll update u guys again after a week or two or when i see an improvement. :)

Wow! Its caused by dry skin? Then that means that its completely reversible? Im really excited for you (honestly). I was thinking about it last night in the shower and worrying that there wasnt anything that could be done but it sounds like things could look up. Keep us posted on your results.

I have these same white bumps and funnily enough i was going to post about it tonight. yea they're not really visible but when i run a hand over my shoulders it feels bumpy :( i want smooth skin, is that so much to ask for ?? maybe it is dry and thats why. i purposely don't spread my lotion i put on after i get out of the shower on back and shoulders. but that's b/c it's a body cream. i might try using my Dove Deep Moisturizer that i use on my face for those areas and see what happens.... :think:

approx. 2 months on physiogel

regimen:

oilatum soap for washing (once a day)

physiogel creme (once a day)

med_gallery_35123_3795_248460.jpg

^ right side

little improvement:

lighter brown marks

white spots still there but feel like 80% flat

4-5 of them are the most noticeable

med_gallery_35123_3795_117595.jpg

^ left side

very little improvement:

lighter brown marks

white spots still there but feel like 80% flat

4 of them are the most noticeable

med_gallery_35123_3795_351184.jpg

^chest

i think there's very little to no improvement here.

i get a red rash like the one you see a few times a week.

i can always feel the tiny white bumps.

Thanks for the update answerme!

I have exchanged a couple messages with answerme, and in case it may be helpful to anyone else, this is my experience with these white bumps:

Had mild acne on chest, back, and shoulders since I was about 16/17. Saw my doctor for a phsyical when I was 18. She noticed the acne, said she wasn't going to prescribe anything because the acne was healing nicely and thought it would go away by using facial cleanser twice a day. Started college, no way I had privacy to wash my body without be completely embarrassed in our very public bathroom. Half way through college I noticed some of my pimples just were not healing right...and they were extremely mild pimples! I tried using mederma on a couple white bumps with no success. Acne started clearing up third year of college and I noticed the extent of my white bumps (chest, back, upper arms). I'm now half way through my fourth year of college and they are still there. One doctor I saw said to go to a cosmetic dermatologist (and pay out-of-pocket). Saw a regular dermatologist a couple months later and he said he had no idea what the white bumps were. I asked if they could be acne scars, and he said acne doesn't scar like that (well I think he's just plain wrong).

I have done some research online and used medical journals I can access through my university. I have not received an official diagnosis, so I could be wrong, but it sounds like "follicular macular atrophy." Try to google it. It may sound eerily familiar. The websites somewhat make it sound like the bumps can go away, but "follicular macular atrophy" is listed as a type of acne scar, so I have no idea.

Since nothing that I know is working, I've been searching the acne messageboards. I have come across a thread about sea salt baths originally posted by RatherBeSurfing. He started taking sea salt baths and noticed not only his acne went away, but much of his scarring went away too. I don't know if his scarring was at all like mine, but all I can do is try it out and see if it works. I have been taking sea salt baths for a few weeks now, about 3 times a week. It is too early to give any definitive results, but when I know whether or not it's working, I will post my results. Sorry, no before and after pics; the lighting in my apartment isn't very good.

I keep my fingers crossed all the time that the baths work, or at least help. The only option left really is to see a cosmetic dermatologist about skin resurfacing. I really want to avoid that since it is going to be VERY expensive, but if nothing else works, I'm going to consider it. I don't think I live the rest of my life looking like this and feeling so poorly about myself all the time.

Good luck everyone, and please post any information you have!

So from what Im seeing there seems to be a lot of improvement! Im seeing a derm in a couple days so I think I'll mention this to him for my own white marks. How do you feel about the results?

Could be keratosis pilaris. It's quite common. Supposedly it affects up tp 80% of adolescents. It can effect anywhere on the body. Yes, it is usually exacserbated by dry skin and the best methods of treatment are exfoliation or retinoids with heavy moisturization. Considering the how common it is, it could very well be KP. It is also supposed to be a condition that goes away with age.

i am 28 and I have this worse now than I ever have...i hope i grow out of it soon too. ha ha ha. no, really though, I haven't found anythign helps so far, so I am curious to see what other people are doing and if it works out...

ami, how's the dove regimen goin? good luck with it.

privatescreen, my observations aren't very precise but i feel positive about my back. with my chest, i dont think there's any improvement at all...yet. im goin to update you guys again after a month or two. good luck with your consultation. i hope your derm gives more options.

hey humbio, how's d sea salt bath goin? i hope it works. i wish i can try it too. as for follicular macular atrophy, im still researching on it as i found very little info about it, at least over the net.

ariventa, thanks for the added info and tips. i remember you told me about KP a few months ago. i dont exfoliate so i'll add that to my regimen soon.

hi caballera! what treatments have you tried?

I have them on chest and on upper arms and back...I have tried masks/peels/scrubs of all kinds, exfolitation, moisturizers, antibacterial soaps, BP (just because), ....

nothing seems to make a difference yet.

k

ami, how's the dove regimen goin? good luck with it.

privatescreen, my observations aren't very precise but i feel positive about my back. with my chest, i dont think there's any improvement at all...yet. im goin to update you guys again after a month or two. good luck with your consultation. i hope your derm gives more options.

hey humbio, how's d sea salt bath goin? i hope it works. i wish i can try it too. as for follicular macular atrophy, im still researching on it as i found very little info about it, at least over the net.

ariventa, thanks for the added info and tips. i remember you told me about KP a few months ago. i dont exfoliate so i'll add that to my regimen soon.

hi caballera! what treatments have you tried?

I saw my doctor just the other day and I asked her about the white spots again. She said that hopefully it will go away with time, which it could take a while, but it is possible they wouldn't go away. But she still didn't answer my question as to what it is! I saw a dermatologist a couple months back and I asked him what it was, and he said he didn't know. I asked him if it was scarring and he said acne scarring didn't look like that. He thought maybe enlarged oil glands but would need to take a skin biopsy to know for sure. Taking a biopsy wasn't an option for me because I was at home on break (where the doctor was) for only a few days and would be leaving for school shortly thereafter. I had my mom look at the spots and she said she didn't think it looked like scarring, and also thought it looked like something to do with the oil glands. Who knows.

The doctor I just saw the other day just prescribed BC for my acne since antibiotics seem work for a while, and then stop. Anyone know if it by chance helps the white spots?

And privatescreen, did your dermatologist give you any info? I'm really intrigued by this physiogel.

to be honest i feel that my derm, who prescribed me physiogel, wasnt sure either about what the bumps really were. i think she should have told me what they were if she knew.

I have the exact same problem as you. Obsessing over it for weeks already, I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I tried using moisturiser, it always looked better after moisturizing, so maybe that's it. I use Neutrogena combination skin moisturizer on it. I think I'll try everything else mentioned here. Sigh, just after I finished fighting the acne on my face, I'm faced with this. -_-;

I have very similar looking marks, and my derm said they were definitely raised scars. He told me that once I get rid of the redness and red marks they'll be nearly invisible.

ive had the exact same marks for nearly a year now

finished accutane treatment a year ago

and ive started getting more fkin spots again tho, nothing major but its enough to piss me off

going to go with the h&s treatment until its all completely cleared up again, plus take a salt bath every evening, should help clear it up,

might help with the white bumps aswell

will let u guys know

on an aside

saw a product the other day, palmers coco-butter thing, with alpha and beta hydroxy, its in a green bottle, is supposed to be really good for getting rid of any sorts of scars from stuff like self-harm, stretch marks, acne etc

im going to give it a try as soon as all these others have cleared up, maybe combine it with some moisturizer

will let u know

takecare guys

xx