Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

Anyone experience a runny nose???

This is a gross post!

Ok, so it could be just allergies or something (I usually don't have allergies), but I have noticed lately that my nose has progressively had a lot more (sorry for the grossness) snot run out of it! I also have icky boogs, which I know others have experienced.

Has anyone else experienced this??? Could the accutane be aggrevating my sinuses???

K

I experienced this too. I never had to blow my nose so much in my life and the boogers were disgusting and painful.

My rationalization is this - Accutane dries out the mucus membranes in your nose. This causes irritation, and the nose increases it's snot production trying to soothe the irritation - hence the runny nose. I found it helpful to apply Vaseline or Aquaphor (Aquaphor has less of a peteroleum smell) to the inside of my nose with a q-tip a couple times a day. It also helped prevent full on nosebleeds, although my boogers were bloody. Gross, i know.

YES! My nose has definitely been runnier. Everytime I'm at my in-laws place, my mother-in-law is constantly saying to me, 'Oh, someone's getting a cold'. Yeah, one that's lasted for about 4 months...

I agree with BTDT's theory - it's like how your eyes produce more tears when they're dry and irritated...I guess your nose produces more snot. Oh, the things we'll talk about because of 'tane...

Geez...what else! I am going to be soooo glad when this is over! I have to put on soooo much aquaphor stuff now! My lips were soooo f-ing cracked the other day, when I woke up I had blood on them! I feel like I am a mess, between the snotty nose (always sniffling), icky boogs, bloodshot eyes, millia like you wouldn't belive, dry patches of skin everywhere, and bringing all this crap with me everywhere I go!

during my 5 months on accutane I needed a tissue every 5 minutes. Literally, I'd have to leave my house with a big clump of tissues. And I had some real nasty nose bleeds.

My lips were soooo f-ing cracked the other day, when I woke up I had blood on them!

Have you tried Dr. Dan's Cortibalm? It can heal those cracks and is great to wear under some Aquaphor. I wish i could go back in time to my first Accutane course and give myself about 20 tubes of the stuff. Your pharmacy will have to special order it for you (my local Walgreens was getting me tubes within 24 hours of my request) or you can order it off the internet but that's more expensive.

Geez...I sure am glad I am not alone! I thought that people would say no way, go somewhere else, you are making up side-effects! :)

Oh My God...tell me about it. My nose is producing weird gloopy snots...i know it's gross, but they're not normal. Aside from this, there's lots of dry skin in there too and bloody mucus coming out aswell. Dry and runny at the same time...don't know how that works, but it's the way it is right now. Some aquaphor inside my nose at night works a treat though....it softens up all the cracked hard skin in there and then it just falls off.

You're not alone.

Wanted to mention that i have all those milia on my cheeks aswell. I've had them for years, and accutane has actually given me more of the. Lots of them in fact...and some of them are huge...they're gross! The derm tells me they'll lance them when i've done with accutane (just entering month four now), but i have actually been popping them just to make my cheeks look a little better. Some of them just don't have an outlet, but if i put a scrub (neutrogena or that apricot scrub) on my face, then steam my face, then pop them, they come out no problem....and they are not scarring either, which is much to my delight.

Wendyb-

I hear you sista! Its just not normal!

I am scared to pop. I did it to one and it did leave a scar, one of my deepest ones! I did, however, use some apricot scrub on them, and now they have opened and look like little volcanos and in the center there is a dot. Feel free to PM me, or answer right here, but what are they going to do??? I don't want to pop! They are deep inside of there, yet a bit raised, not like the other ones on the other side where they are just raised. Do you think the scrubbing will let them come out, and if they do will they scar???

I am going to the derm on Friday, hopefully, maybe he might have all of these answers!

YIKES!

K

Hey, I'm pretty new to Accutane. but so far I've found that I have days with a runny nose and days without. I love those days without, breathing becomes v. clear!!! No need for like a million tissues!! lol :)

Heres a funny story. I took a walk to the park with a friend during my accutane course, and we saw kids from school and they asked us to get in a game of basketball. So I loved basketball and have been playin for yrs so i stepped on the court. and in the middle of the game (my nose was so runny) when doing a crossover a huge thing of snot dripped outta my nose down past my stomach and then i quickly snorted it all the way back up. I was embarrased but i said my bad and kinda laughed alil in embarrasment, nearly every1 there didn't even notice what happened because it happened so quickly, so every1 was like what just happened what r u laughing at.

Ha! So glad to hear this. I seriously thought I developed allergies all of the sudden. My nose is runny constantly and my eyes tear constantly, but I don't feel like I'm getting a cold. Everyone is like, yeah, that's allergies, but I've never had them.

Good to know. :)

Ha! So glad to hear this. I seriously thought I developed allergies all of the sudden. My nose is runny constantly and my eyes tear constantly, but I don't feel like I'm getting a cold. Everyone is like, yeah, that's allergies, but I've never had them.

Good to know. :)

I thought I was having a mild allergy too - low level runny nose, sneezing several times a day, eyes red and watery at times. Very mild symptoms - but I'm interested in hearing others having similar. Could be coincidence for sure, but it is very interesting.