Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DolceDolce

shocked my derm suggest accutane!!

okay so i went to a new derm today.. she said i hae potential for scarring which somehow = accutane

my acne really isnt that bad, lately its been getting better.. my problem is not so much tons of pimples but tonssss of red marks that look like pimples. i got really upset because i always thought accutane was the last resort for ppl with SEVERE cysts and i do NOT have that.

can someone explain the potential for scarring = accutane? i dont get that.. i thought u were more at risk for scarring and red marks while on accutane.

most of my face is red marks, how is accutane going to fix that?

pix attached! most of what u see is red marks - they are flat - not pimples (theyre only about 2 small ones on each cheek)

please give me any feedback im REALLY concerned!

thanks alot!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I don't see the pic - how do I get to it? The reason accutane is recommended when there is a risk of scarring is because if the acne continues out of control the scarring will be really bad. Cystic acne can leave bad pits even if you don't touch it. So accutane needs to be used quickly so the cysts don't continue to leave scars all over the face.

If you don't think your acne is that bad, then do not do it. It is your decision. The red marks will fade with time once you get cleared up. You may just have one of those derms who is quick to prescribe accutane.

it is up to you, i am on accutane and my acne was not severe (see my gallery, my acne wasn't much worse than that whenever i started.) i did have cystic acne but the antibiotics stopped the cysts, however i was still breaking out and i didn't want to be on antibiotics forever. i was going to ask my derm about accutane but she suggested it to me first.

if your acne is scarring i would go on it. but do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Hey hun that's exactlyy like my skin....i dont have much active pimples or anything its mainly redness and scars like yours....My derm gave me roaccutane...it's my 2nd day today...

I was also wondering if it would get rid of the scars so i guess ill just have to wait and see...hopefully i wont be left with worse scars :(

Did you decide what you want to do?

All the bestt

Hey hun that's exactlyy like my skin....i dont have much active pimples or anything its mainly redness and scars like yours....My derm gave me roaccutane...it's my 2nd day today...

I was also wondering if it would get rid of the scars so i guess ill just have to wait and see...hopefully i wont be left with worse scars :(

Did you decide what you want to do?

All the bestt

it won't get rid of scars, sorry :(

Guest ~Wolfy~

okay so i went to a new derm today.. she said i hae potential for scarring which somehow = accutane

my acne really isnt that bad, lately its been getting better.. my problem is not so much tons of pimples but tonssss of red marks that look like pimples. i got really upset because i always thought accutane was the last resort for ppl with SEVERE cysts and i do NOT have that.

If your acne is getting better and you don't scar, then you may be better off staying clear from Accutane. Accutane is the last resort.

Red marks go away by themselves, it's the pits and scars that don't.

From what you say, in your position I wouldn't personally go for Accutane right now; but if your acne gets worse again, or persists for a year or more, then it would probably be worth taking it.

thanks for the replies everyone..

i forgot to mention she acutally gave me a presc. for differin cuz she said its a vitamin a like accutane.. i use it for 2 months and if my acne isnt improvin by next appoint then i can go for accuntane..

i suppose i will try this and see how it goes

is it true if u take accutane with mild acne it can become cystic and basically a huge nightmare?

i htink it may be true - what lissa said about a derm quick to prescribe accutane.. should i check out another derm and see what they say?

i had the same type of acne as you.. mostly red marks, if you would of taken my red marks away and given me a good skin tone, my acne wouldn't of looked bad at all pimple wise. but my derm perscribed me accutane to stop more pimples from forming to prevent red marks.. The result? Accutane gave me BIG pimples for 3 months before it stopped any acne from forming. The big pimples I got from accutane were bad and left red marks. Now I have red marks that are good some days bad other days. but my back is still very achy even 3 months and 1 week after finishing accutane.

i had the same type of acne as you.. mostly red marks, if you would of taken my red marks away and given me a good skin tone, my acne wouldn't of looked bad at all pimple wise. but my derm perscribed me accutane to stop more pimples from forming to prevent red marks.. The result? Accutane gave me BIG pimples for 3 months before it stopped any acne from forming. The big pimples I got from accutane were bad and left red marks. Now I have red marks that are good some days bad other days. but my back is still very achy even 3 months and 1 week after finishing accutane.

Did your red scars go away atleast?

I dont get it though...isnt roaccutane supposed 're-new' your skin? it peels etc etc so how come the scars still stay?

Maybe it depends on how long ur scars have been there or how deep they are...

I dont get it though...isnt roaccutane supposed 're-new' your skin? it peels etc etc so how come the scars still stay?

I have red spots, not indented scars. Accutane does regrow your skin, but the red marks stay. My red marks either have gone away very little, or have not gone away at all in the 3+ months I've been off tane. I say either very little or not at all because I haven't noticed a difference at all. I see the same stuff everyday, so I dont notice them having gone away at all. When im in a bad mood I'll look in the mirror and notice them and get even more frustrated. Currently my face looks pretty good, I think its because I now have a chinstrap beard. I know the beard isn't on any acne areas, but I guess when looking at my face the beard stands out and takes attention away from these red marks.. plus when I shave I shave extremly gently to shave around the beard(which doesn't make red spots as red as it used to). So since having this beard my face has looked good.

In regards to the accutane situation, Its worked well so for many people, but for me personally, I always paid close attention to my physical stature. I always tried to workout and get my best physically outta me. I never ever had a problem with my back before. I had some nagging knee problems for a while, but that went away and I was good in terms of injuries. Now 3+ months after accutane and my back constantly feels like I just took 60 pounds off it. My back has that achy feeling as if I just lifted something heavy, or as if I was just walking around with a heavy heavy book bag on my back and just took the heavy load off my back. I'm currently getting ready to go to sleep and my back is really achy. This bothers me because after all the working out I did prior to accutane, im now weak and achy. My knees bother me from time to time, im not gonna fully blame tane for that because they aren't bad, but they started giving me prolems again during tane.

If I had the choice, I would either had mild acne for the next 10 years and not had to take accutane, or I would of kept my acne the way it was except for the red spots. My problem was too many spots. I wish I never had to take Tane. If I could go back I definately think I would of tried other things and tried to go about not tkaing accutane because I really can't go on like dis wit my back. Like I said, now my face looks pretty decent, but I'd take mild acne for the next 10 years over having to have taken accutane and have this back pain. My acne looked bad enough, but i'm not one who will cry if my skin isn't perfect. I'll take mild acne just to get rid of this fuckin back pain.

I have red spots, not indented scars. Accutane does regrow your skin, but the red marks stay. My red marks either have gone away very little, or have not gone away at all in the 3+ months I've been off tane. I say either very little or not at all because I haven't noticed a difference at all. I see the same stuff everyday, so I dont notice them having gone away at all. When im in a bad mood I'll look in the mirror and notice them and get even more frustrated. Currently my face looks pretty good, I think its because I now have a chinstrap beard. I know the beard isn't on any acne areas, but I guess when looking at my face the beard stands out and takes attention away from these red marks.. plus when I shave I shave extremly gently to shave around the beard(which doesn't make red spots as red as it used to). So since having this beard my face has looked good.

In regards to the accutane situation, Its worked well so for many people, but for me personally, I always paid close attention to my physical stature. I always tried to workout and get my best physically outta me. I never ever had a problem with my back before. I had some nagging knee problems for a while, but that went away and I was good in terms of injuries. Now 3+ months after accutane and my back constantly feels like I just took 60 pounds off it. My back has that achy feeling as if I just lifted something heavy, or as if I was just walking around with a heavy heavy book bag on my back and just took the heavy load off my back. I'm currently getting ready to go to sleep and my back is really achy. This bothers me because after all the working out I did prior to accutane, im now weak and achy. My knees bother me from time to time, im not gonna fully blame tane for that because they aren't bad, but they started giving me prolems again during tane.

If I had the choice, I would either had mild acne for the next 10 years and not had to take accutane, or I would of kept my acne the way it was except for the red spots. My problem was too many spots. I wish I never had to take Tane. If I could go back I definately think I would of tried other things and tried to go about not tkaing accutane because I really can't go on like dis wit my back. Like I said, now my face looks pretty decent, but I'd take mild acne for the next 10 years over having to have taken accutane and have this back pain. My acne looked bad enough, but i'm not one who will cry if my skin isn't perfect. I'll take mild acne just to get rid of this fuckin back pain.

I'm sorry to hear that....have u tried physiotherapy or Acupuncture?? I know alot of people (including my mum) who had back pain and those treatments made a bigg difference...also theres this Chinese cream u can get from chemists which is really good for back/neck pain. It stings and has a smell strong but works really well....

I know accutane wont make much of a difference with my scars but i dont think ill rest till i try it out...it's day 3 now so we'l c how it all goes...

I just cancelled my gym membership bcoz i thought if im going to have sore joints no use working out and making it worse...

Anywayz life goes on i guess...even if i have clear skin that doesnt mean lifes gona be perfect...other problems still stay there however i guess not obsessing with my skin wud be 1 thing wiped off my list and i'l have more energy to deal with other probs coz having my 'skin' on the mind allll the time takes alot of my energy out (sadly)

okay so it comes down to this

if i take accutane, i'll still hae redmarks, and possibly more because it might give me more pimples liek wiht NYJMT before all my pimples go away..

butt if i dont take it (not that accutane will GUARANTEE im clear- my dr. even said i might have to do it more than once) and get more pimples theres potential they will scar..

okay now about this scarring.. scarring does not equal red marks.. its acutaly indents in your skin. i dont think i have any scars.. just enlarged pores. (well at least thats what i always thought they were). but if i dont even get that many pimples, then theres not a huge chance of scarring.. and thers not a whole load of point in accutane? its just like NYJMT said, i can either live with mild acne for how long or take accutane. if i did take accutane though i dont think id really have a huge problem with the back pain.. i dont exercise (bad i know) or do sports (i have high metabolism and im tiny!)

i think i should wait a while.. my diane 35 bcp is starting to kick in after more than half a year and i think its really helping my skin along with b5..

i just have one question for u guys.. my derm prescribed me differin (retinoid as u probably kno) to try before accutane.. on another retionoid i tried - tazorac.. left me with TONS of red marks.. its pretty much the cause of all red the marks on my cheek now.. because with pracitaclly every single pimple i got while using it left a mark. so im scared to try differin because it might do the same?

good luck to rose_1 on roccutane and good luck to NYJMT for getting rid of red marks.. if u find anything that works let me know! what have ut ried so far?

I'm sorry to hear that....have u tried physiotherapy or Acupuncture?? I know alot of people (including my mum) who had back pain and those treatments made a bigg difference...also theres this Chinese cream u can get from chemists which is really good for back/neck pain. It stings and has a smell strong but works really well....

I know accutane wont make much of a difference with my scars but i dont think ill rest till i try it out...it's day 3 now so we'l c how it all goes...

I just cancelled my gym membership bcoz i thought if im going to have sore joints no use working out and making it worse...

Anywayz life goes on i guess...even if i have clear skin that doesnt mean lifes gona be perfect...other problems still stay there however i guess not obsessing with my skin wud be 1 thing wiped off my list and i'l have more energy to deal with other probs coz having my 'skin' on the mind allll the time takes alot of my energy out (sadly)

well it doesn't necesarrily mean you'll have achy joints. however it is a good move for you to take it easy just to be safe.

okay so it comes down to this

if i take accutane, i'll still hae redmarks, and possibly more because it might give me more pimples liek wiht NYJMT before all my pimples go away..

butt if i dont take it (not that accutane will GUARANTEE im clear- my dr. even said i might have to do it more than once) and get more pimples theres potential they will scar..

okay now about this scarring.. scarring does not equal red marks.. its acutaly indents in your skin. i dont think i have any scars.. just enlarged pores. (well at least thats what i always thought they were). but if i dont even get that many pimples, then theres not a huge chance of scarring.. and thers not a whole load of point in accutane? its just like NYJMT said, i can either live with mild acne for how long or take accutane. if i did take accutane though i dont think id really have a huge problem with the back pain.. i dont exercise (bad i know) or do sports (i have high metabolism and im tiny!)

i think i should wait a while.. my diane 35 bcp is starting to kick in after more than half a year and i think its really helping my skin along with b5..

i just have one question for u guys.. my derm prescribed me differin (retinoid as u probably kno) to try before accutane.. on another retionoid i tried - tazorac.. left me with TONS of red marks.. its pretty much the cause of all red the marks on my cheek now.. because with pracitaclly every single pimple i got while using it left a mark. so im scared to try differin because it might do the same?

good luck to rose_1 on roccutane and good luck to NYJMT for getting rid of red marks.. if u find anything that works let me know! what have ut ried so far?

joint aches can happen to anyone so theres no telling that you def WON'T get them. Im not this fat guy who sits around lol. I'm thin, extremely fast metabolism, and I was very active and working out which kept my body I guess thin but cut and fit . Before taking accutane I was actually pretty strong and doin well with working out. It bothers me that acne had to be a huge set back for me. But it doesn't seem to often that people have this problem persist after accutane. so maybe its just me.

Accutane made me breakout with big juicy pimples, its kinda hard to tell... I have some red marks, but not all of them are from the accutane IB, because I'd have red marks all over the place if every big pimple accutane caused left red marks.

My skin is satisfactory now so I wont complain about it. At 1st I was pissed because I expected too much from accutane. But I learned to look bad and see how much of an improement there was. My red spots aren't too bad, and I think its just a personal insecurity. I think I notice them way more than anyone else. My face still isn't the same, but if it stays the way it is now then im fine with that. If my acne comes back I will be really upset after the effort and side effects I got from tane. It would be a waisted effort.

my face was almost clear in comparison to your pics and i went on it for the main reason that I did not feel like chewing down antibiotics anymore...my brother hasnt had one zit since he went on his accutane course, and told me to ask for it...

Hey DolceDolce is ur skin a result of u picking ur pimples from b4?

Mine is bcoz of picking and also from using topicals like differin, retina and eryance. I realised they made my face heapss red and just made my red spots worse....the week i stopped using them my face was back to normal colour with the spots just a lightish pink colour....I'm on roaccutane bcoz im starting to get active pimples again and im hopinggg it'l help with the spots too.

Every1 says tane doesnt help with red marks however looking at before and after pics most peoples acne plus red marks/spots are all gone...so if that was the case then their active pimples wud be gone and their marks wud still be left so how does that work?

i'm on Diane 35 too and saw an improvement in the 1st month...my doc said i should have good skin by the end of treatment whilst on tane and Diane together...im hoping bcoz ive got no patience left : /

Hope it goess well 4 u

my face was almost clear in comparison to your pics and i went on it for the main reason that I did not feel like chewing down antibiotics anymore...my brother hasnt had one zit since he went on his accutane course, and told me to ask for it...

acutally my red marks arent from picking.. i pracitcally never do that .. they're just there.. i THINK its cause of tazorac.. i noticed with every pimple i put tazorac on it would ALWAYS leave red marks. now my derm wants me on differin (same retinoid thing) im afraid its going to do the same... it sounds like it did for you rose_1?

you're lucky u saw an imporvement so fast. i've been on it since may. i think i find that if u keep takin the pills and dont have a 1 week off (you dont get your period) it helps your skin alot because your body doesnt have to go the week without the hormones - it kind of throws it off balance

yeah i am still not understanding the whole thing w/ accutane and red marks.

acutally my red marks arent from picking.. i pracitcally never do that .. they're just there.. i THINK its cause of tazorac.. i noticed with every pimple i put tazorac on it would ALWAYS leave red marks. now my derm wants me on differin (same retinoid thing) im afraid its going to do the same... it sounds like it did for you rose_1?

you're lucky u saw an imporvement so fast. i've been on it since may. i think i find that if u keep takin the pills and dont have a 1 week off (you dont get your period) it helps your skin alot because your body doesnt have to go the week without the hormones - it kind of throws it off balance

accutane won't clear red marks but if all the acne goes away, with time the red marks will fade and you won't be getting new red marks because you won't have new pimples.

Give differin a try...might work for your marks.....i saw sum1 2nite and she said her niece went on roaccutane and cleared everything! no scars/marks left...so im praying mine fade too....I've realised when i stop using topicals the redness go away...creams just irritate it more...so mayb u cud give that a go? just go for a week without putting anything on your skin....

did u decide whether to go on tane or not? its so tough ey : /

If all you have is red marks and NO active acne, I'd say don't do Accutane. Do something that exfoliates the skin like Fraxel light therapy (very expensive though) or a strong AHA regime (Glytone is amazing, you can only get it from your derm office).