Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lissa

My hair loss (photo)

It’s been almost three weeks since I stopped taking accutane (only 10 mg/day dose for rosacea for about two weeks). I stopped because I was shedding a lot and thought I'm might be losing my hair. It is becoming clear to me that my hair has thinned over the past few weeks. I am worried that it won’t grow back.

For those of you who lost your hair and regrew it - when did the hair loss peak? How long does it take to stop falling out and when should I start noticing hairs growing back in? I can live with it as it is now if it just stops getting worse!

IPB Image

well it's said accutane stays in your system for 1-3 weeks, so hopefully it should stop soon!

You'll need to go on a med that inhibits hair growth and use hair products that stimulate blood flow, etc on your scalp. (try adding a drop of peppermint oil to your conditioner and massage it in).

big hugs to you, it sucks that this is a side effect of accutane!

well it's said accutane stays in your system for 1-3 weeks, so hopefully it should stop soon!

You'll need to go on a med that inhibits hair growth and use hair products that stimulate blood flow, etc on your scalp. (try adding a drop of peppermint oil to your conditioner and massage it in).

big hugs to you, it sucks that this is a side effect of accutane!

This is my worst fear: hairloss! GAH!! it sux that it's a side effect!! hopefully your hair will grow back! I have a frend whos been on accutane 3 times and she has thicker hair than me, I dont think you have to worry about it not growing back.

I'm a male and I lost some hair too, not that drastic, but it was still falling out. I'm sure it'll start growing back.

This is my worst fear: hairloss! GAH!! it sux that it's a side effect!! hopefully your hair will grow back! I have a frend whos been on accutane 3 times and she has thicker hair than me, I dont think you have to worry about it not growing back.

it does suck :(

it's about 10% chance that you'll get hairloss, although it usually shows within the first couple weeks so you can stop when you notice! I've also read it's supposed to grow back!

tdot.... I hope this doesn't scare you too much, I know you still have those pills sitting on your desk! ;)

Thanks for your support everyone! It really helps.

I quit very quickly when I noticed hair loss. I thought maybe it was my imagination but I wanted to be safe. Very glad I just stopped. I’m hoping that will save me in this situation. I still have a substantial ponytail; the hairloss is mostly just showing in the front. :(

I’ll try the peppermint oil. I was taking Vit C, Biotin, and B complex but I thought that made things WORSE so I stopped just cause I wanted to naturally let it regrow. But maybe I'll start up again. I'd just love to hear when I can expect this to at least settle down and stop getting worse. I guess I'll give it three months then decide if I should start freaking out!

Since you stopped taking accutane i would recommend GNC's ultra nourish hair and the formula for hair skin and nails, huge horse pills but if your serious and willing to commit to taking them they should work .

I am only saying this because personally for me it worked when i was having problems with hair loss before i started accutane.

Since i am on accutane i cant take those because of the vitamin A in it.

I will be taking just regular biotin pills because right now accutane has caused ALOT of my hair to fall out.

Check out drugstore.coms reviews on those vitamins.

Since you stopped taking accutane i would recommend GNC's ultra nourish hair and the formula for hair skin and nails, huge horse pills but if your serious and willing to commit to taking them they should work .

I am only saying this because personally for me it worked when i was having problems with hair loss before i started accutane.

Since i am on accutane i cant take those because of the vitamin A in it.

I will be taking just regular biotin pills because right now accutane has caused ALOT of my hair to fall out.

Check out drugstore.coms reviews on those vitamins.

my derm also gave me these supplements labeled as 'skin-hair-and-nail' supplements.

i dont notice any bad hair fall but i did start getting dry hair in my fifth month on tane when i stopped taking those supplements from her.

i hope your hair grows quickly back soon.

Thanks everyone. I'm back to taking the vitamins starting today. It has been falling out more and more over this week.

When I take my ponytail down - which I have a habit of doing frequently throughout the day - I lose about ten hairs at least. I leave work and notice that my chair is covered in hair. I wish I could just avoid mirrors so I don't get depressed but it's hard to ignore the problem when hairs are falling onto your keyboard every five minutes.

This is seriously the worst side effect. I hate that I keep searching online and finding stories about people whose hair never grew back after accutane!

It’s been almost three weeks since I stopped taking accutane (only 10 mg/day dose for rosacea for about two weeks). I stopped because I was shedding a lot and thought I'm might be losing my hair. It is becoming clear to me that my hair has thinned over the past few weeks. I am worried that it won’t grow back.

For those of you who lost your hair and regrew it - when did the hair loss peak? How long does it take to stop falling out and when should I start noticing hairs growing back in? I can live with it as it is now if it just stops getting worse!

IPB Image

For some people hair started growing back after a month, for some it took 7-8 months to grow the lost hair back (usually for those who took the full course), but don't worry it will definately grow back. Its just a matter of time. I experience hair loss also (male here), but Im not too worried about it.

Am I the only one who hasn't had a significant hair-loss problem while on Accutane? :question:

I have freakishly strong hair. Truly.

My hair is stronger than ever on tane. My hair has always been able to stand up to multiple processes. There have been times, in salons, where they have made me sign papers saying I won't sue them before they process my hair. LOL. I assure them that I know my hair and what it can take; which is basically anything you throw at it. I sign the waivers and get the bleaching or whatever done and still walk away with amazingly strong hair.

Actually, my hair is best when I try to damage it a little. Otherwise it's too soft. I never, ever, ever have to use conditioner. It sheds less than normal I would say. I rarely see it in my hairbrush or comb.

Lissa, I so feel you. While I can't say that my hair is still falling out since I stopped taking Accutane last Friday, to me hair loss is just about 10% worse than having bad skin. I chose the lessor of two evils and stopped the medication. I'm praying that I don't see anymore hair fall out, it consumes my thoughts, but I'm trying to use the power of visualization. Every time I start to think about it (which is all the time), I imagine new hairs sprouting all over my head.

I did go to the derm this week and discussed low-dosing with her, which is the only thing I'll consider at this point. She conviced me to continue on for the remaining 3 months at 10mg. So I'll start up again on Monday, but the second I even feel like I'm losing more hair, I'm done for good. I could deal with all the side effects, chest pain, dry lips, irritated eyes, headaches, etc. but I can't deal with hair loss.

I keep reading online too about people whose hair didn't grow back! Ugh...it's so scary, then I just go back to my visualizations.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks, unfortunately I was on only 10 mg (for rosacea) and it happened to me. Hopefully lowering the dose will help you though. If your hair loss stopped really quickly that’s a probably a good sign.

It’s been nearly 4 weeks since I got off accutane. Today I took down my ponytail and gently put my fingers through my hair and 41 hairs came out at once. 41 in under a minute! Yikes. Now I don't know whether to stop the biotin or what???? I doubt it has much to do with the increase, but still I don't want to take chances. Seems like everything I do to improve things makes things worse! Sigh.

Telogen Effluvium lasts for 3-6 months after the shock and then regrows, so I can’t hope to improve things immediately. My hair loss is probably going to peak in the next month or two, at least I hope.

Here's a pic of how nice and full my hair looked like before I started (I don't usually dress like this, it was 80s night :)) My hair was my favorite thing about me and I hope to someday get it back!!! :D:D:D <---- this is me forcing myself to be optimistic ha.

IPB Image

wow that's like as thick as my mom's hair and she gets a lot of compliment for it.

i also look at my old photos when i had clear skin just to stay optimistic! :D

good luck with your treatment!

I was very scared about losing hair. I havent lost any due to Accutane I dont think. Id lost a bit due to MPB before my course though.

Strangely it seems all people on this website who lose hair on Accutane start to lose it very early in their course?

Guest Locked In Grace

I hope it grows back, past cases suggest it will.

I was very scared about losing hair. I havent lost any due to Accutane I dont think. Id lost a bit due to MPB before my course though.

Strangely it seems all people on this website who lose hair on Accutane start to lose it very early in their course?

Yeah I've noticed that too. I've read a lot online about hair loss begining far into the course or after the course. I don't know why a lot of people here notice it right away. Not sure what that means...

I gently blew my hair dry last night for the first time in weeks because I was sick of it being flat and ugly. I can cover the bad area in the front pretty well by changing my part. It looked okay I think. At least my friend didn't mention anything. YAY!

Am I the only one who hasn't had a significant hair-loss problem while on Accutane? :question:

No you're not, I haven't lost a single hair. And honestly I wish I would because my hair is WAY too thick. When wet it weighs about 26 pounds. Takes me forever to brush.

But please don't envy me because I have experienced every other side effect in the worst way (just read my log :cry:

Lissa don't worry, it is supposed to grow back. I know its stressful now but I'm sure you'll be back to normal after the 'tane leaves your system.

No you're not, I haven't lost a single hair. And honestly I wish I would because my hair is WAY too thick. When wet it weighs about 26 pounds. Takes me forever to brush.

But please don't envy me because I have experienced every other side effect in the worst way (just read my log :cry:

Lissa don't worry, it is supposed to grow back. I know its stressful now but I'm sure you'll be back to normal after the 'tane leaves your system.

Thanks! I think it will. Not as stressed right now since it actually looked okay when I did it the other day.

Don't wish for your hair to fall out! I'm sure it looks great. And if you have too much, I know theres a hair procedure where they sort of thin it down - maybe you could look into that? My friend tried it once...