Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AngerEatingDemon

Would you rather feel pain than nothing at all?

Pain  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather feel pain than nothing at all?

• yes
    • no

this reminds me of a quote i just recently read, by florence nightingale:

"...out of nothing comes nothing. But out of suffering may come the cure. Better have pain than paralysis"

I don't know. I think I'd rather feel something than nothing at all, even if it were bad. Depends on what exactly you mean... if you mean that you could still feel happiness but in the place of pain feel nothing then that would be pointless because without pain happiness loses a lot of meaning. But, if you mean that you could choose between not feeling anything at all except for pain and not feeling anything at all, both without happiness included then it's kind of different. God, i don't think that made any sense

Depends on what the pain is about, and how long the pain lasts.

Last month I had to put our oldest cat to sleep, and it hurt so bad that for the first time years, a drink sounded good. (Being a recovering alkie, that's such a bad idea!) It hurt that bad. That all I wanted to do was make it go away, oblivion, something, anything.

But I didn't drink and I didn't make it go away. Couldn't even if I had wanted to. Pain doesn't go away.

And today, I'm rather glad I managed to feel the pain rather than try and numb it. (which never works according to plan anyhow. Something always slips through).

I guess it depends.

Good question. After having the worst year of my life a few years ago with constant pain and many family deaths, I just wanted a break and truly wanted to feel nothing than this feeling.

Good question. After having the worst year of my life a few years ago with constant pain (girl broke my heart, right arm reconstruction, my mom broke her left ankle and elbow, grandmother died slowly from heart failure etc. etc), I just wanted a break and truly wanted to feel nothing than this feeling.

I got what I wanted. I was in a daze for a long time and very unmotivated to do much of anything. For me, feeling nothing was worse and much more difficult to "snap" out of. At least with pain, I could use it for motivation and turn it into something positive some of the time.

I'm not so sure.

Emotional pain is my everyday follower. However sometimes I think that it's just meant to be. And I like it in a strange way. You know why? Because pain makes you different. It makes you feel, think and act differently. We have a saying here: "Only with sadness and pain comes the happiness of your soul".

Sure... I guess.

Pain is interesting... whenever I get hurt, the moment the pain subsides I'm in euphoria. So I guess there is some good in pain.

Emotional pain... I'm very much used to. I find it beautiful.

Guest brian.

what an idealistic argument. how easy is it to say that to feel pain is so much better than to feel nothing when you're sitting at your computer typing.

of course, pain provides an opposite definition, the ying to joy's yang if you will.