Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FedUp23

How long will it stay around?!?

Hi

I'm currently on my 2nd course of Accutane and I'm almost on day 50. After the IB I was almost clear, but then some of the bumps under the skin started getting active again. That resulted in two big, red nodules on both sides of my chin. These are the only active acne on my face atm btw.

The biggest one has been there for about 10 days now. It's almost unchanged. Not even slightly smaller. It does not hurt like my cysts/nodules normally do. It's inflammed and persistant. How long should I expect it to stick around for? I'm so sick of it now. It's ruining my appearence!! I've been using Erythromycin while on tane to limit the breakouts, but I took the last pill today and i don't have another appointment at my derm until next week. I'm a bit concerned about that...

What's your experiences? How long do you think they will stay on my face? I get no idications that they are shrinking. They are just...there..:(

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've had a cyst on my face in the same spot for 2 years. It heals, but it always comes right back. I'm sure I'm a rare case, but just be prepared that you don't know how long it will take.

That sucks :(

I've had one giant cyst that lasted for about a year. It has left a brownish mark on my cheek and a slight indentation. It was quite different from the one I have now though. This doesn't feel as deep. It's very big, but the lump is more on the surface. It's not at all painful..in fact I can't even feel it's there. The one on the other side is getting bigger by the minute. How long (approximately) does a nodule last while on accutane? 2 weeks? A month? more?!? I can't take it anymore. It's hurting my social life!

Will antibiotics help speed up the process? Can hydrocortisone be used on nodules or is it just cysts?

Thx

Antibiotics may speed up the process, but hydrocortisone won't do much unless there is some major swelling. You can try warm compresses or a cortisone shot which may leave atrophy...or just wait it out!

i get a cyst a week. So i would liek to say i'm experienced.

I have nodules that last for half a year. Others only 4-5 days. Truely. The key is to not touch them at all. NO TOPICALS. NO HOT COMPRESSES. NO PICKING. don't even look at them. forget about it.

the inflammation WILL go down. But a colorless bump might be there. Just don't even bother squeezing it. Just have faith it will resolve on its own. Antibiotics will reduce the redness, but the bump will still be there.

Man, that's some discouraging answers. lol. I've had many nodules before, but they have dissolved rather quickly. This time it's different. I think it must be because of the accutane. The bump on one of the sides are actually a bit smaller today. I applied some differin last night and i think it somewhat helped.. I don't like to use any topicals while on tane, but in desperation I decided to make an exeption. The other one (originally the smallest) is now the biggest. It has gotten inflammed. Before it was skincoloured. It feels hard and growing. I put differin on that aswell just now. Don't have much hope though. It will probably stay around for a while.

I try to ignore them, but they are on my mind constantly. It makes me less social, and I avoid going out and doing things I should be doing.. Rest of my face is starting to look good. Complexion is way improved and not really any new actives.. So I have hopes that these are the last 2 big bastards and that I'll look good after those disappear.

It's quite amazing how dependent confidence is on appearence..!!!

For most of you this may soud strange, but it is effective: A hot (not scalding) carrot poultice over a carbuncle or cyst, will help the inflammation go down, and may even bring it to a head, if applied regularly (every couple of hours let's say). All you need are some gratted/mashed carrots, and a little hot water to make a thick paste. Apply on the infection, and remove once cold. Continue the process. It does work, but I must warn you that it is quite a messy job.