Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skummer

Why has the Regimen never really fully worked, for me?

I've been a CSR user for al ong time. (> 6 months.)

Throughout this time, I've followed it pretty much to a tee. I've missed probably 2-3 applications in my whole time. Now, I don't know why, but I've never really got to the stage where I'm 100% clear. I presume the regimen is working (to the extent that if I were to stop, my acne would be worse) however I can't be 100% sure.

What annoys me is that I am close, but not close enough. I still get the odd small pimple here and there - something I can't understand after gently rubbing in a healthy fingers worth of BP... Why do they still appear? Occasionally I'll also get a big one... one that'll take ages to actually go. :(

I'm now using the 100% recommended products - over time they have changed slightly (Cetaphil cleanser to Dan's, Eucerin Moistueirser to Eucerin Dry Skin w/ Urea) but results have been consistent with all products.

It's just frustrating me at the moment, as I don't see any reason as to why I shouldn't be fully clear. As far as the biggest mistakes list goes, I can't really say I'm making any of those errors.

Any suggestions, encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated here.

Perhaps try dropping the moisturiser? I found that when I took the moisturiser out of the regimen i cleared up better. I know people will probably say this is a bad idea, but it worked for me. My skin just doesn't need moisturiser.

I'm definitely no expert, but if I were you I would try adding more BP.

Congratulations on your partial success and good luck!

i would agree with the adding more BP, if you notice areas where you are especially getting those extra zits, put more BP there and that should most likely do the trick.

The Regimen helps to keep acne under control, but I would be surprised if someone got 100% clear and never got another pimple EVER. It is somewhat normal to get a zit every now and again, it just happens. Especially if your acne is persistent. Hormonal fluxuations can play a role as well, especially for females. I get an occasional pimple during my cycle. But even that is better than a constant 6 or 7 each and every day.

Try to keep your expectations real. If the CSR is keeping your acne under control the majority of the time, I think that is success! Even people who aren't acne prone still experience a pimple from time to time.

Be sure you are using enough BP.

And if you are doing everything correctly, and not overly irritating yoru skin somehow, I think you are doing fine.

Here is a quote from Dan's "what to expect" page. It is near the bottom of the green area, the moderate acne area.

"Usually by month 3 even tough cases are well on their way to becoming under total control. Many less severe cases now simply require ongoing treatment to maintain clear skin. Red spots continue to fade to nothing. An isolated pimple from time to time is normal and to be expected."

While my signature shows me as 100% clear, I still occasionally get one or two bumps. Last week I got 3 HUGE cysts on the left side of my face near my nose. They were swollen and hurt like H#@@! The good news is that I continued to use CSR religiously and they opened, and are now gone. With CSR, new bumps heal a lot faster.

Hang in there! Remember a few bumps every once in a while is better than a lot of bumps all the time.

The Regimen helps to keep acne under control, but I would be surprised if someone got 100% clear and never got another pimple EVER. It is somewhat normal to get a zit every now and again, it just happens. Especially if your acne is persistent. Hormonal fluxuations can play a role as well, especially for females. I get an occasional pimple during my cycle. But even that is better than a constant 6 or 7 each and every day.

Try to keep your expectations real. If the CSR is keeping your acne under control the majority of the time, I think that is success! Even people who aren't acne prone still experience a pimple from time to time.

Be sure you are using enough BP.

And if you are doing everything correctly, and not overly irritating yoru skin somehow, I think you are doing fine.

Here is a quote from Dan's "what to expect" page. It is near the bottom of the green area, the moderate acne area.

"Usually by month 3 even tough cases are well on their way to becoming under total control. Many less severe cases now simply require ongoing treatment to maintain clear skin. Red spots continue to fade to nothing. An isolated pimple from time to time is normal and to be expected."

For sure, I'm realistic. I know my skin will never be perfect. The thing is, I still feel like an acne sufferer as opposed to someone getting a couple of pimples.

Currently, I'd say I have more than "an isolated pimple from time to time." I'm still at that stage where it's noticable but not terrible, but enough to make me look bad at times. It will fluctuate around this stage from time to time.

As far as using more BP is concerned - I'm a little cautious. Is there a limit? Because currently if I use a full finger, I have no noticable irritation with a bit of flaking at times. (Although I do moisteurise well.) Occasionally I'll use a slightly thicker finger... and I will notice slightly more flaking. Is it worth trying to use more and more BP (to the extent to which my skin is still able to cope)? Is going beyond the recommended finger actually risking worse results?

Secondly, moisteuriser... is it worth risking another given that the current one I use is highly recommended for UK regimen users? I do have quite sensitive skin, so perhaps it is too irritant for me? I guess that's one thing which might have an effect on me, but I'm reluctant to switch.

I agree, it is a success thus far in terms of controlling something which could be worse. Thing is, I'm still looking to become free from acne suffering. And I don't think I'm quite there yet - which is my concern.

Thanks to Brandy and everyone who's commented so far. Appreciated!

I'm with brandy. I would still consider it a success. I had very mild breakouts, and I still get some pimples from time to time. If you do more bp, use extra only on the areas yr broken out in. You could try using a little less too. Sounds crazy, but I started using a thinner line and cleared up more.

Guest Michael Jackson

No one, well very few people, get completly clear, unless you start the regimen at the tale end of your acne.

Maybe it's something outside CSR....do you touch your face at all? Do you pick at the few zits you do get (that can spread bacteria)? Do you change your pillowcase & sheets at least once a week?

Maybe try improving your diet & amount of water you drink. This has helped me in the past to a point.

Just some suggestions.

Maybe it's something outside CSR....do you touch your face at all? Do you pick at the few zits you do get (that can spread bacteria)? Do you change your pillowcase & sheets at least once a week?

Maybe try improving your diet & amount of water you drink. This has helped me in the past to a point.

Just some suggestions.

- I rarely touch my face unless my hands are washed.

- Picking I keep to a minimum but I guess I do it very occasionally. I'll ensure that I don't do that at all.

- My pillowcases are in rotation... changed once every two days, flipped daily. Sheets probably a bit longer than a week though, I can't see them having a huge effect.

- My diet is pretty good in general. And I do drink a fairly large amount of water.

If you are doing everything correctly, and using plenty of BP, etc. etc. Then maybe your acne is more persistent or severe than what an over-the-counter treatment can handle. Have you given any thought to seeing a derm and asking about prescriptions? The CSR is good for mild to moderate acne, but honestly, if you have been doing it strictly and religiously for 6 months and are not happy with your results, then maybe you should check with a derm for other options.

If you are doing everything correctly, and using plenty of BP, etc. etc. Then maybe your acne is more persistent or severe than what an over-the-counter treatment can handle. Have you given any thought to seeing a derm and asking about prescriptions? The CSR is good for mild to moderate acne, but honestly, if you have been doing it strictly and religiously for 6 months and are not happy with your results, then maybe you should check with a derm for other options.

Persistent I think, is a good word to use.

I've been prescribed many things, Minocycline being the first back when I had moderate-severe acne, which cleared me to pretty much 100% clearness, basically where I desire to be now. I stopped taking it, and my acne came back again, possibly worse - I still didn't know about this site at this point, and tried to get rid of it using horrible cleansers and poorly applied BPs. It made things worse.

Went back on Mino and things improved. Since then, I've been on many different prescriptions -> erythromycin, tetracycline, oxytetracycline, zineyrt... hell, probably more, the majority of which have been taken alongside CSR. In the last couple of months I decided the antibiotics werent having any effect on me anymore - and my acne was controlled only by the CSR.

I stopped taking tetracycline for this reason and the general health implications... And I've not really noticed any difference. It's possible I could try another antibiotic but I'm reluctant. I also doubt a dermatologist would really help that much either considering I've tried alot of things, and accutane is out of the question for my case.

I guess I keep thinking about examples like Dan, living proof that you can actually beat acne with this regimen, and I just keep thinking I should be able to reach the same level. I suppose like you say, people are different. Bah.