Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hiya!

I'm new here and by no means an authority, but I've been so happy with the success of my acne treatment that I felt I had to pass it on to y'all.

Like many women, I didn't get much acne until I reached my college years. I started out with regular break-outs timed with my periods. Then, I had acne continuously, and finally it was cystic acne and that has left me disfigured.

Now, I've used countless over-the-counter meds and I've been to countless dermatologists who've treated me with countless prescription meds including Retin-A, tetracylene, even Accutane. I stuck with the program, but nothing worked, or worked as well as I wanted it to. (I don't know if Accutane would've, because I had to quit it no thanks to side effects.)

Depressed, frustrated and angry, with my acne at its peak, I started researching acne on my own, specially as it manifests in women. What I found out was that, as most of you must be aware, the number one cause of acne for both sexes is male hormones, or androgens, including testosterone. For women, acne is like an allergic response to inappropriate male hormones.

I decided I might be hormonally imbalanced, too, and the idea came to me that I didn't have to just treat my symptoms--maybe I could do something about the cause too! Cool!

I talked over my findings with my doctor and he worked with me to develop a treatment plan. Well, it hasn't even been a year now and my skin has improved beautifully!

So here, ladies, is my recipe for taking back control of your hormones and healing your skin (take one dose daily each, talk with your doctor or nutritionist before you do),

- flax seed oil (omega fatty acids)

- evening primrose oil (omega fatty acids)

- cod liver or fish oil (omega fatty acids)

- snake oil (only kidding!)

- Yasmin 28 (estrogen, progesterone, and the only birth control pill with an anti-androgen)

Also helpful but not as crucial,

- zinc

- multivitamin

- vitamin A

- vitamin E

If you need more oomph you might add a regular anti-androgen steroid to the mix. So you won't be exposed to any trace hormones in food, you should quit eating dairy, eggs, and meat products that aren't organic, and drink only purified water, not tap water, and plenty of it.

Meanwhile, keep spot treating new spots with benzoyl peroxide, and be gentle to your skin. That means gentle cleanser, gentle moisturizer, no or non-comedogenic-only make-up, and NO PICKING. (I started wearing these little white cotton gloves at night to stop picking in my sleep!)

One more thing. Be sure to check with your doctor that you don't have a thyroid disfunction or an ovarian cystic disorder, or are on any medication which might be affecting your hormone levels.

I'm not selling a miracle cure here, and truth be told, before I started this treatment plan I didn't think much of diet and nutrition and herbal remedies. But, this *did* work for me, and I *hope* it works for you too!

Good Luck,

Jane Doe

biggrin.gif

Hey thanks for the advice.

Another thing to consider for women and hormones: have you ever been tested for PCOS? (polycystic ovary sydrome)

This is a condition that affects approx. 10% of women. The body produces too much insulin and too much insulin throws your entire body out of whack, encouraging cysts on your ovaries (though not always) and androgen production which of course leads to acne, among other things.

One treatment is Metformin (Glucophage) which works to lower your insulin levels and return your body to normal hormone levels. It is a medicine used for diabetics but by using it pre diabeties you can prevent the onset of diabeties which sadly will most likely happen to people who mass over produce insulin.

I'm no expert, just another sufferer looking for relief. This is fave message board/site of mine with lots of answers: http://www.soulcysters.com/

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Thank you! I knew that cystic disorders can be bad for homonal levels but I didn't know why. Insulin levels, that's weird.

I have an ultrasound appointments coming up and I'll be sure to ask the clinician and my doctor for advice.

Hey thanks for the advice.

Another thing to consider for women and hormones: have you ever been tested for PCOS? (polycystic ovary sydrome)

This is a condition that affects approx. 10% of women. The body produces too much insulin and too much insulin throws your entire body out of whack, encouraging cysts on your ovaries (though not always) and androgen production which of course leads to acne, among other things. 

One treatment is Metformin (Glucophage) which works to lower your insulin levels and return your body to normal hormone levels. It is a medicine used for diabetics but by using it pre diabeties you can prevent the onset of diabeties which sadly will most likely happen to people who mass over produce insulin. 

I'm no expert, just another sufferer looking for relief. This is fave message board/site of mine with lots of answers: http://www.soulcysters.com/

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Hiya! 

I'm new here and by no means an authority, but I've been so happy with the success of my acne treatment that I felt I had to pass it on to y'all. 

Like many women, I didn't get much acne until I reached my college years. I started out with regular break-outs timed with my periods. Then, I had acne continuously, and finally it was cystic acne and that has left me disfigured. 

Now, I've used countless over-the-counter meds and I've been to countless dermatologists who've treated me with countless prescription meds including Retin-A, tetracylene, even Accutane. I stuck with the program, but nothing worked, or worked as well as I wanted it to. (I don't know if Accutane would've, because I had to quit it no thanks to side effects.) 

Depressed, frustrated and angry, with my acne at its peak, I started researching acne on my own, specially as it manifests in women. What I found out was that, as most of you must be aware, the number one cause of acne for both sexes is male hormones, or androgens, including testosterone. For women, acne is like an allergic response to inappropriate male hormones. 

I decided I might be hormonally imbalanced, too, and the idea came to me that I didn't have to just treat my symptoms--maybe I could do something about the cause too! Cool! 

I talked over my findings with my doctor and he worked with me to develop a treatment plan. Well, it hasn't even been a year now and my skin has improved beautifully! 

So here, ladies, is my recipe for taking back control of your hormones and healing your skin (take one dose daily each, talk with your doctor or nutritionist before you do),  

- flax seed oil (omega fatty acids)

- evening primrose oil (omega fatty acids) 

- cod liver or fish oil (omega fatty acids)

- snake oil (only kidding!) 

- Yasmin 28 (estrogen, progesterone, and the only birth control pill with an anti-androgen) 

Also helpful but not as crucial, 

- zinc 

- multivitamin 

- vitamin A 

- vitamin E 

If you need more oomph you might add a regular anti-androgen steroid to the mix. So you won't be exposed to any trace hormones in food, you should quit eating dairy, eggs, and meat products that aren't organic, and drink only purified water, not tap water, and plenty of it.

Meanwhile, keep spot treating new spots with benzoyl peroxide, and be gentle to your skin. That means gentle cleanser, gentle moisturizer, no or non-comedogenic-only make-up, and NO PICKING. (I started wearing these little white cotton gloves at night to stop picking in my sleep!) 

One more thing. Be sure to check with your doctor that you don't have a thyroid disfunction or an ovarian cystic disorder, or are on any medication which might be affecting your hormone levels. 

I'm not selling a miracle cure here, and truth be told, before I started this treatment plan I didn't think much of diet and nutrition and herbal remedies. But, this *did* work for me, and I *hope* it works for you too! 

Good Luck,  

Jane Doe 

biggrin.gif