Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnburke

PEANUT FRICKING BUTTER

Havent been on this board in a long time, just thought id tell everyone to definitely try not eating peanut butter for 6 months or so. Over the summer my acne went away and I thought I was outgrowing it. I just got to college and wanted cheap food so I started making myself peanut butter sandwiches. The acne is back. Simple as that.

Now I need some other cheap food....damn

Havent been on this board in a long time, just thought id tell everyone to definitely try not eating peanut butter for 6 months or so. Over the summer my acne went away and I thought I was outgrowing it. I just got to college and wanted cheap food so I started making myself peanut butter sandwiches. The acne is back. Simple as that.

Now I need some other cheap food....damn

Yeah, I had to cut out peanut butter too. And the replacements aren't cheap (Almond or cashew butter).

I've been using pure peanut butter and have had no problems. The oil and the peanut butter will seperate and I pour out most of the oil prior to mixing the remainder into the peanut butter. If you have no problems with peanuts, try pure peanut butter (just ground peanuts with nothing added). "Ordinary" peanut butter contains sugar, oil, starch, etc. - i.e. filler ingredients. Also the bread you consume may be a problem - some people break out from consumption of wheat-based foods (especially white bread).

As for cheap food sources, generic Kraft dinner is a good source of protein and carbs. I use less than the full package of cheese powder (to reduce consumption of salt and additives), use soy milk, and add a couple cups of frozen vegetables (during last 1-2 minutes of cooking). Sometimes I also add a can of tuna - a good source of protein.

Also canned tuna or salmon added to a large salad makes a nutritious, fast and cheap meal.

when i went on our last tour all i ate was penut butter and jelly sandwiches and those few weeks my skin was the clearest its been in a while..... strange

Peanuts are a high androgen food - and there is some evidence that high androgen foods can cause acne flares. It was on the list of foods to avoid that I got from my esthetician (who specializes in treating acne). As with other food triggers, I don't think it causes acne, just leads to flares in those who are already prone to developing acne.

Plus, peanut butter has salt in it - and iodized salt has definitely been found to trigger acne flares (anything high in iodine, actually - sushi/seaweed and kelp, medicines high in iodine, etc.).

I don't eat peanut butter at all, and I still get acne? :(

There are other food triggers (dairy, iodine, etc.). But, I think that even if you avoid the foods, you can still break out. I just think that some of the trigger foods make an existing acne problem worse - I don't believe it is the ultimate cause of acne though. Diet is just one of several factors (genetics, stress, products you use on your skin, hormones, etc.)

I <3 cashew butter but it's like $6 a jar.

Me too - and yes its pretty expensive! Almond butter is even pricier. But, I guess it makes sense since a jar of cashews or almonds are alot more expensive than a jar of peanuts.

fuck that i love peanut butter

as much as you love having acne?

I've been using pure peanut butter and have had no problems. The oil and the peanut butter will seperate and I pour out most of the oil prior to mixing the remainder into the peanut butter. If you have no problems with peanuts, try pure peanut butter (just ground peanuts with nothing added). "Ordinary" peanut butter contains sugar, oil, starch, etc. - i.e. filler ingredients. Also the bread you consume may be a problem - some people break out from consumption of wheat-based foods (especially white bread).

As for cheap food sources, generic Kraft dinner is a good source of protein and carbs. I use less than the full package of cheese powder (to reduce consumption of salt and additives), use soy milk, and add a couple cups of frozen vegetables (during last 1-2 minutes of cooking). Sometimes I also add a can of tuna - a good source of protein.

Also canned tuna or salmon added to a large salad makes a nutritious, fast and cheap meal.

So you buy natural peanut butter but instead of stirring you dump the oils out? Isnt the peanut butter really hard to spread that way?

i live in louisiana, hmmm, i dont think we have any of those stores, but ill look into it , thanks!!!!

So the only food i enjoy in my crappy diet is now eliminated. I guess ill just go back to buying the almond butter even though its 17 bucks a jar at loblaws.

Yeah..peanut butter affects me too..

Me too. Can't stop eating peanut butter...

Have stopped for a while...but can't stop thinking it...went back to eat again, and now...many pimples...