Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
occollege

To much Benzoyl Peroxide.. i think it damaged my skinned

i came to this site about three months ago, and i decided to do things on my own

i bought 5 percent benzoly peroxide, and one night before going to bed i decided to let it soak on my face while sleeping. during the middle of the night, i woke up to this extreme burning sensation, and had to run to restroom wash my face with cold water.

the next morning i woke up, and my face looked bleached. but the worse part was my skin was darker, harder, and alot wrinklier.

my skin is still a little wrinkly, and its been about 9 months :cry:

i need to know from someone, will my skin go back to normal like the way it was. or is this permanent damage.

i am so sad

Yeah, it's a tough decision either don't use BP and have zits all over or use BP and have less or no acne but gross and aged looking skin! I stopped BP over the summer and basically just splashed my face 2or3 times a day with warm water but with in a week my face was soooo bad! After 35 days of just water my acne was still horrible! So out of pure desperation I started BP again and within a couple weeks I looked a lot better. I've been using BP off and on for the past about 7 years and I want to do something more natural cause I really wonder how safe all these topicals are and I don't want to look old and haggard in another few years! Anyway I have been soaking in hot water for two weeks and steaming for the past month, I stopped BP about about 11 days ago but this timeI haven't broken out really bad and all I use is proactiv sulpher mask to spot treat. If this is still working in 2 weeks or longer everyone will know cause I will be very happy that I wont have to use strange chemicals to keep my skin clear!!!!!!! If this will work for me it will probably work for a lot of other people cause my acne has been really bad and if just soaking and steaming can work for me it can work for other people with severe acne.

Guys - I've had this problem too - the solution is to apply a very mild self-tanner to your skin once in a while. I use the neutrogena one. It brings back some of the colour that is lost from all the BP.

If it s the redness that is killing your skin tone then its the BP and sun exposure, if its red spots then it means your spot treating and appling to the whole face will keep the same tone, at least for me anyway.

Also less BP will keep pimples away and not burn you or get you red, apply less frequently or less of the amount. Most Bp products do mention this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this regular basis BP routine and moisturizing.

Also try 2.5% and drop the 5% much harsher on most skins.

i came to this site about three months ago, and i decided to do things on my own

i bought 5 percent benzoly peroxide, and one night before going to bed i decided to let it soak on my face while sleeping. during the middle of the night, i woke up to this extreme burning sensation, and had to run to restroom wash my face with cold water.

the next morning i woke up, and my face looked bleached. but the worse part was my skin was darker, harder, and alot wrinklier.

my skin is still a little wrinkly, and its been about 9 months :cry:

i need to know from someone, will my skin go back to normal like the way it was. or is this permanent damage.

i am so sad

This is one reason why using a low strength BP, like 2.5% is better than the stronger ones. And using a good hydrating moisturizer really helps to keep the skin in balance and looking healthy. Had you ever used BP before? Oftentimes it is best to gradually get the skin accustomed to it by using small amounts in the beginning. It sounds like you used way too much, and too strong of a product. And since you didn't mention any moisturizer, that probably contributed to your 'wrinkly' look. If your skin is STILL wrinkly, I doubt it has anything to do with the one time application of BP.

What have you been doing for your skin since the BP trial 9 months ago? Which products do you currently use? It sounds like your skin is really parched and dehydrated, perhaps a good moisturizer might help!

I admit I am a bit confused by your post since you said you came to this site three months ago and decided to use 5% bp for one night. And then later on in your post you said it's been 9 months.......