Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Texan90

How to tell if something will scar?

I've had whiteheads leave behind crater-like wounds and then completely heal on their own. Question is, is there a way to tell if something is going to leave a scar or not? I had this pit on my nose which looked horrible but completely vanished in about 1-2 months(i think) and I have a similar one on my cheek now. Not sure if it will follow the same pattern. Also, does skin heal the same way all over our body? Or does skin on the face heal differently from that on our arms/legs/torso/etc.?

The skin on the face should heal faster than on other parts of the body like the legs. Also, some people tend to form scars while others do not. African Americans for example are prone to keloid scar formation after a cut or other type of lesion. Any type of acne will leave a mark of some sort that can take weeks or months (in the worst case scenario) to heal, but true scars can take 1-2 years to heal but less if you seek scar revision treatments. Use of exfoliating products can help minimize post-acne marks. But I've noticed some of these marks can take a long time to heal for some reason even though they are not TRUE scars.

I've noticed if the "scar" you see doesn't fade within 1-2 weeks it probably is going to be there for a while unfortunately. It's best to ask a dermatologist to look at it.

There is no real way to tell if something will scar. Obviously if u have a huge zit then it will prob leave a scar. Once the zits are healed a lot of the indents can fill themselves in over the next few months. Once the red is gone if they are still there they are gonna look like that without further treatment. I scarred from very minor acne so it does not have to be anything major at all.

more blood flow to the head usually means quicker healing, but i think areas like the hollow of the cheek have poorer bloodflow and dont heal as well. maybe im wrong. i do know that we are more prone to picking at things on our face which interferes with healing. we also do things like shaving, washing, exfoliating to the face which we dont do to other places. so i think a wound might heal faster somewhere where it is left alone and the scab falls off naturally.

If I were u I'd stop picking and go on Accutane. I used to b exactly like this where if I did have an indentaion it would heal right up but as i got older and after starting using Proactiv(I'm 23 now) it seems as if someone even says the word pimple I'll get a scar. Don't risk it by picking, your face is so important.