Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trademark

Scars from excessive skin peeling?

Hey,

I use Proactiv and the cleanser makes my skin peel daily, especially around the nose. I seem to notice that my nose seemed to get bigger/bumpier due to this.

I am wondering if this is true; does excessive peeling cause scarring to your skin/nose?

Thank you

Peeling can only help scars.....check to see if proactiv has glycolic acid in it. Glycolic acid causes peeling. A lot of soaps with benzoyl peroxide have Glycolic acid in them to help the skin look better.. Just use a good moisturizer with SPF 30 if it bothers you. Ask a derm to examine your nose if you think there is something wrong. The peeling wouldn't be what caused the scars. Peeling however can occasionally cause discoloration if you pick at it, but probably not scars.

I started scarring from my breakouts when I started using Proactiv I do not use it anymore. My sis stated usin Proactiv and she also noticed her scars looked worse.

Personally, I think peeling is so very bad for the skin. It doesn't help scars - if it does, it is just temporary.

This is coming from someone, who a few years ago, believed peeling was great for scarring. It's not. God only knows the further damage I've irreparably done to my skin.

Trauma causes the skin to peel. Trauma is at the very least aging.

Just my $.02

Hey,

I use Proactiv and the cleanser makes my skin peel daily, especially around the nose. I seem to notice that my nose seemed to get bigger/bumpier due to this.

I am wondering if this is true; does excessive peeling cause scarring to your skin/nose?

Thank you

Yes, for me it did. When I used Proactive, my skin was so dry, dull and just unhealthy that everything took ages to heal IF it ever did. I couldn't put on mineral powder because when I did you could see a million little dry/peeling skin cells. It also caused my red marks to last a long long loooong time. My skin just ....hurt (if that makes sense) it felt so unhealthy.

I moved in with my older sis this September. She also had acne and is the one person I feel comfortabale around and I know understands. She is turning me on things that have helped her and is using me as a guine pig for some other nutritional research. I don't mind! Number one thing she got me to do is get off BP. I was scared but I did it and I do not regret it.

Here is what I found helped. Saw a dramatic difference over night and please don't think I'm over exagerating because it really did cause a difference that quickly. In the evening I take a hot shower. I let hot (no scolding but what you can handle) water run on my face and gently exfoliate my skin that way. Then when I get out of the shower I dry my face wait a few minutes apply a SMALL amount of Day time Vitamin E lotion (from the body shop only) then I apply a thin layer of aloe vera to any healing acne, forming acne, red spots and scars. This combination for some reason is great. The next day when I wake up I'm always so impressed. My skin looks much healthier and the red marks heal and fade SO FAST!

I hope this will help someone.

Kaya

Hey,

Thank you

Yes, for me it did. When I used Proactive, my skin was so dry, dull and just unhealthy that everything took ages to heal IF it ever did. I couldn't put on mineral powder because when I did you could see a million little dry/peeling skin cells. It also caused my red marks to last a long long loooong time. My skin just ....hurt (if that makes sense) it felt so unhealthy.

I moved in with my older sis this September. She also had acne and is the one person I feel comfortabale around and I know understands. She is turning me on things that have helped her and is using me as a guine pig for some other nutritional research. I don't mind! Number one thing she got me to do is get off BP. I was scared but I did it and I do not regret it.

Here is what I found helped. Saw a dramatic difference over night and please don't think I'm over exagerating because it really did cause a difference that quickly. In the evening I take a hot shower. I let hot (no scolding but what you can handle) water run on my face and gently exfoliate my skin that way. Then when I get out of the shower I dry my face wait a few minutes apply a SMALL amount of Day time Vitamin E lotion (from the body shop only) then I apply a thin layer of aloe vera to any healing acne, forming acne, red spots and scars. This combination for some reason is great. The next day when I wake up I'm always so impressed. My skin looks much healthier and the red marks heal and fade SO FAST!

I hope this will help someone.

Kaya

proactive is just bp and alcohol toner cleverly marketed.