Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I just popped my first Accutane pill.

I'm really really nervous.

Oh well actually its a generic Sotret. Is that bad? Should I try to get brand name? I have pretty bad cystic acne normally 5-10 big ones on my face and lately so many on my back that I can't sleep lying on them. I'm 150lbs and started on 40mg twice a day which sounds pretty high to me. Does that mean I'll get a really bad IB? When do most people get them? When will I start feeling side affects?

Most of all I was wondering if people could recommend good brands of products to use. I currently use Olay Complete Moisture for Normal skin and I dont really use any form of chapstick but I figure that I will need to. Anything else that would be helpful form my accutane starter kit?

Aaah I'm freaking out...

hi...i started accutane almost a month ago (i've been busy and lost track of the day count) anyway...don't be too afraid. everyone's body reacts differently so it's good for you to be in tune w/ what's going on, but some people actually get minimal side effects from the drug. me, for instance, i'm a lot less oily but i'm not dried out. my skin is actually very pleasant. i haven't had an IB as of yet, no nosebleeds, slightly chapped lips. everything has been very manageable. i was very tired for the first couple of weeks and i had a headache every day for about two weeks but that has since gone away. so that just goes to show you that some ppl do have minimal side effects, so be aware of what's going on...but don't get too freaked out.

now to answer your questions. to the best of my knowledge (after talking w/ pharmacists and pharmacy technicians) the name brand and generic drugs have the same chemical compounds just different name brands (some are even made by the same ppl) it's just the whole bit that you pay more for the "name brand" b/c of the trademark name it carries. this is really stupid b/c you're getting the EXACT same thing but for a much much cheaper price. It happens in many industries, from the medical to food industry (sugar for example...just learned that in my personal finance class. yay for college) anyway. always be cautious of your prescriptions, but if you handed the pharmacy a script for accutane and your insurance didn't cover the name brand stuff they were just looking out for your best interest by giving you the cheaper brand so don't worry. i'm personally on claravis (also generic). so i wouldn't try to get the name brand unless you want to for your own peace of mind...but you'll pay a whole lot more money for the same thing. stick w/ the sotret. your dose is pretty high, but if that's what your doctor prescribed then go w/ it. the whole IB thing always depends on the person. it can depend on how your body reacts to the medication, what condition your skin was in when you started the medication, and what was festering under your skin when you started the medication that hadn't reared it's ugly head yet. It varies person to person, so although you may have an increased chance of an IB w/ that high of a dose it couldn't be fully correlated to that reason. IB's come at different times for everyone...some ppl never get them at all while others get them the 3rd day of their treatment. it's completely unpredictable. same thing w/ the side effects. i hate to keep saying it varies person to person but it completely does. i started seeing a difference in the acne on my face probably a few days after i started the medication, but the oil just started getting better earlier this week. completely depends on the person. i'll list some products that i've been using that will hopefully help you as well.

Cetaphil- I use the cetaphil cream (which is a heavier moisturizer than the lotion) at night before i go to bed. it really helps to moisturize and doesn't cause breakouts

Clean and Clear- i've been using the dual action moisturizer during the day (under makeup) *Caution* a lot of ppl get really dried out on accutane, i haven't been so this is ok for me to use. it has salicylic acid in it so if you have dry skin i would recommend continuing use w/ the cetaphil during the day (probably just regular cetaphil lotion though, not the heavy duty cream).

Carmex or Aquaphor- i personally use carmex, but most ppl use aquaphor. i had carmex on hand so it was convenient for me to use it. personal preference but make sure it moisturizers your lips really well as this is one of the most common side effects ppl experience.

Visine- I use visine in my eyes every now and then b/c they are a little dry. i can't feel it but my eyesight will go a little funny sometimes, or i'll get a headache and that seems to help. i get the artificial tears visine tho, try to avoid the visine that is medicated (my mom warned me against it, cause my dad used it often and it ended up hurting his eyes) so go for the artificial tears just to help add a little moisture.

Biosilk-i use biosilk silk therapy in my hair after i style it. this helps keep my hair soft and healthy (don't know your gender, or if you'll need this but it really helps) it's kind of expensive but it's amazing and lasts a long time.

i think that's about it for an accutane starter kit. just don't be afraid to moisturize that's the main thing. i moisturize my entire body the minute i get out of the shower. it's a pain in the butt, but my skin is in great health :dance: don't be too freaked out and i hope everything goes well for you

(sorry this was so long)

OHHH yeah...one more thing that a lot of ppl seem to not know...take your accutane w/ a fatty meal (at least 5 g of fat is optimal) since accutane is fat soluable your body needs it in your system. also i've found that i'm really thirsty a lot (my b.c. pills did this too me too tho) so i drink a lot of water which is good for your system anyway...good luck...

Thank you so much! Seriously it really helped my piece of mind! I'm a girl by the way. 17 years old and I've had acne since I was 12 or so. I just start posting but I've been lurking around here for a while its been really helpful.

you should feel lucky that your on 40 mg 2 per day... its better to get it over with than start with 40 like me and still have acne for awhile..

Thank you so much! Seriously it really helped my piece of mind! I'm a girl by the way. 17 years old and I've had acne since I was 12 or so. I just start posting but I've been lurking around here for a while its been really helpful.

Good Luck Chivita :) im 17 and female also lol u'll b fine!!! :D kepp us updated! XxOoxX!!!

i'm a 19 yr. old female and i'm glad my last posting helped. i also forgot to mention cleansers tho...for the body i use just any regular cleanser but for my face my dermatologist had prescribed me plexion wipes and i've continued to use those (they're a little expensive and don't smell wonderful, but they help my skin a lot). but they're getting to be a little harsh for me so i also have cetaphil cleanser to use. that's what most ppl recommend on here so i went w/ it. i usually only cleanse at night now and then just rinse w/ water in the morning when i wake up. i'm glad you decided to start posting instead of just lingering. i lingered for a long time too before i decided to join but w/ the medicine that we're on i think it helps a lot to have this as a support system. it is actually very informative and helps me feel like i'm not alone. my regular friends are understanding...but most of them have no idea what it's like. i love acne.org :wub: