Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ilovelife

5 month course of tane too short?

my doctor put me on a 5 month course of accutane...but ive read on many post here that usually theyre on a 6 month course! im worried its gna be too short that my oily skin would come back as soon as i stop takin the pills..should i ask my doctor to extend it?? id appreciate your input! thanks!

my doctor put me on a 5 month course of accutane...but ive read on many post here that usually theyre on a 6 month course! im worried its gna be too short that my oily skin would come back as soon as i stop takin the pills..should i ask my doctor to extend it?? id appreciate your input! thanks!

it depends what your dosage is, five months is the normal length for a course.

as long as your cumulative dose is between 120-150mg/kg you should be fine.

my doctor put me on 40 mg because when i last visited him my acne was mild! but seriously my acne comes and goes and i've really oily skin!

did you just start out? usually its 40mg at the beginning and then theyll up the dosage to 60mg after your first month. after 5 months your doc will evaluate your progress and see if you need an extra month or not.

no 5 months is the average course of accutane, when someone takes a 6-month course, thats the maximum courses taken, because an extra month is needed. 5 month is fine.

also sometimes the doctors get kind of technical w/ terms. like my doctor says that i'm on a 6 month course w/ 5 months of actually being on accutane. i guess he states it that way b/c i still have to get blood work and a pregnancy test done after the end of the 6th month just to make sure my body is still ok when the drug is finally out of my system. this is cautious, but good...crazy dermatologists :wacko:

It depends on your weight. 5/6 months is an arbitrary number.

They suggest that you metabolize a certain amount of Accutane per your weight. I suggest you ask the doctor, they probably have a chart.

alright, so if i weigh 80 kg and am currently on 10 mg a day, i would have to be on the accutane for approximately 5 years to reach that cumulative dose?

alright, so if i weigh 80 kg and am currently on 10 mg a day, i would have to be on the accutane for approximately 5 years to reach that cumulative dose?

a little less than 4 years.

your doctor will probably raise the dose.

would that be the equivalent of a full course? would it have the same overall effect, with a lot less of the side effects, what you think?

thanks a lot bro, i really appreciate it.

would that be the equivalent of a full course? would it have the same overall effect, with a lot less of the side effects, what you think?

I don't think you will be able to take accutane that long. usually they leave you on it for a year tops and if that's not long enough there is usually at least a 2 month break before starting another course. personally I would rather take a normal dose course for 6 months. having a cumulative dose of at least 120-150mg/kg gives you the highest chance for permanent remission. anything over 150mg/kg has questionable therapeutic benefit .

I don't think you will be able to take accutane that long. usually they leave you on it for a year tops and if that's not long enough there is usually at least a 2 month break before starting another course. personally I would rather take a normal dose course for 6 months. having a cumulative dose of at least 120-150mg/kg gives you the highest chance for permanent remission. anything over 150mg/kg has questionable therapeutic benefit .

i can if i want too man, the doc told me its up too me, he said do as you please...

i can if i want too man, the doc told me its up too me, he said do as you please...

you can go on a long term course, or take a higher dose?

My Derm. said he will put me on a 5 month course but if i get clearer before the 5 month course he would take me off.

I dont care how clear i get i want to take the 5 month course.

you can go on a long term course, or take a higher dose?

long term course