Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anjana

been on tane? read this, PLEASE do!

Hi guys,

I'm really interested in all those people who have been off tane for some while now and how they're doing.

Sometimes I see a post on here about that and I would jump at it but I thought I'll do one myself and see if any of you share their experience.

I'm going to finish my course in November which started last year in August and is low-dose, 20mg.

Rightnow I'm 99% per cent clear although I notice things like clogged pores or nearly non-existant pimples coming up every now and then. As I'm spoiled by now with "clear skin" I freak out everytime that happens and cling to the hope that this might stop after finishing the course.

I heard of some people whose face didn't really clear up until they actually came of tane...

Basically, for all those past-tane people:

How's your skin?

How long have you been off it?

Did you break out once more when you stopped and then clear up eventually?

Do you do anything for maintenance?

What was your dose?

Did you go back on a second course?

And so on :shifty: ...uh I'm so curious about all that, please share your story here in case you hit this post and are past accutane, I'd be so so so interested!! :pray:

Thanks a lot in advance! :angel:

I think the responses to your questions will vary from one person to another. For some accutane clears them for life and that is it. For others it helps greatly and lets them control acne better with post tane treatments. You just have to take it as it comes and not be too dispondent if it does return after tane. looking on the bright side if you do have to use products for maintanence they are generally far more effective post tane. There is always further tane courses if they are required and microdosing also. Enjoy your life while your skin is clear and hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

I had 2 full doses about 10 years apart about 80mg a day. Currently microdosing and using topicals. Skin is completly acne clear although I had a recent flare of gram negative from all those years of antis. Maintenance between courses, zynert was very effective as a topical rotated with duac gel and differin gel. Orally usual antis rotation of minocin, trimethroprim and erymax.

Hope that is of some use to you and good luck

ive been off for about 2 years now. i had 1 really horrible breakout in the summer of 2004, not sure why, that made me go on tane. my acne wasnt really that bad before the summer, but for some reason i just broke out with a bunch of cysts. after accutane, my acne seems like it's back to before i had that big breakout, although i dont get cysts anymore, but i still do have oily skin and have a few pimples every now and then. after i was off accutane, i was clear for about 6 months before the acne and oil started to come back.

How's your skin? No cysts, but pustules-mostly on my forehaed which is really weird because I didn't used to get many there before accutane. Back acne (kinock on wood) has been cured, thank god!

How long have you been off it? Check my siggy to be sure, but I think it's been about 2 years.

Did you break out once more when you stopped and then clear up eventually? No-I was perfectly clear directly after stopping the course and up until about a year ago.

Do you do anything for maintenance? I couldn't because I suffered from excema at the time (still do occassionally) so I couldn't use ANY topicals.

What was your dose? 20mg, then 40mg

Did you go back on a second course? Not yet but I see my Dr. next Friday and see if she can refer me to my derm again (you need a referral her ein Vancouver). Then I'll see what my derm says. I don't *think* I want to. It's expensive and I think I can now control acne with BP, or maybe with retin-a b/c now it seems my excema is under control.

I finished my accutane course in july..my skin has looked great for 2 months.

Now my acne is slowly coming back...so is the oil. I have many white heads . no cyst but alot of small bumps. man it sucks.

Im thinking about going on a 2nd course really soon. Who cares about the price..all my money from my part time jobs will pay for accutane..sigh.

I was on 80 mg for 6 months and i weight 155 , I thougth my chances of acne coming back would be low..:(

Do dermatologist wait for a certain amount of time before prescribing accutane again?

I finished my accutane course in july..my skin has looked great for 2 months.

Now my acne is slowly coming back...so is the oil. I have many white heads . no cyst but alot of small bumps. man it sucks.

Im thinking about going on a 2nd course really soon. Who cares about the price..all my money from my part time jobs will pay for accutane..sigh.

I was on 80 mg for 6 months and i weight 155 , I thougth my chances of acne coming back would be low..:(

Do dermatologist wait for a certain amount of time before prescribing accutane again?

according to the accutane prescribing information. they should wait two months.

thanks for answering guys, I think I never met anyone so far who went on tane and then just STAYED clear.... :(

I remember my derm telling me about accutane (never heard of it before) and that there's a 80% chance I'll stay clear plus he never had anyone coming back plus with "my" skin I should be one of the lucky ones and blablabla....

rightnow, I just don't know what to think....I just had a "breakout", meaning about 5-6 well..not pimples...they look like one but there's nothing coming out of them so it must be clogged pores? it's not much of a difference anyway, they are still red and bumpy and whatever, uuuh I hate it! :evil:

I really don't know what I've done but it's SO hard to accept cause I feel like tane is laughing its ass off, why does this happen while having been on tane for over 14 months??? :cry:

I feel like crap today just because of that and it makes me think I WON'T be one of the lucky ones... :(:boohoo:

sorry about my whining but did any of you experience this?

I probably just expect too much.....

so 2 months wait in between yea? well that would be 7 weeks with me until I go back see my derm in Switzerland and if I then look like a pizza again I'll go back on tane rightaway.

what else is there to do? I don't think going on antibiotics or retin-a or whatever is of any use, aren't they alll only working when you use them? I just want to get on with my life I'm SO sick of the whole thing, I'm at the point where I'd do anything to have clear skin. well I guess all of you are.

but it doesn't get any easier when you've tasted some of it for a while and then it starts all over again, I've just become really fossy or something but I want CLEAR skin I don't even want to put up with clogged pores (which look like pimples anyway) once a months, I want it to go AWAY!!! :cry::wall::snooty:

uh....sorry...I'll shut up now, still waiting for that post saying I've been clear ever since! :D:cry:

How's your skin?

How long have you been off it?

Did you break out once more when you stopped and then clear up eventually?

Do you do anything for maintenance?

What was your dose?

Did you go back on a second course?

my skin now is clear but thats because im using certain dri on it for about a month. before that ive been off accutane 2 years and my acne came back not as bad though, i had 1/3 less pimples but my pimples scarred after i was off accutane. my dose was 40 first month then 80 after that , my whole time on accutane was 6 months. my acne had no active new pimples since my 2nd month on it but the old pimples stayed until i got off accutane, and then i totalled cleared up for 4 months.

A lot of people who have early and complete success don't come back here. Try and stay positive, you will get through this.

How's your skin? i mainly break out around my chin, but lately i've been breaking out on my cheeks (which could be due to the stress of school)

How long have you been off it? let's see...it will be two years January '07

Did you break out once more when you stopped and then clear up eventually? i didn't break out at all for 9 months after i was finished with the course. i'm dead serious, no acne at all. but then it came back beginning of sophmore year and went away on it's own after about 2 months. then it started coming back again at the beginning of summer '06 and i'm still dealing with it now

Do you do anything for maintenance? right now, my derm just started me on solodyn and azelex.

What was your dose? oh it's been a while, but i think it was 40 mg for the morning and 60 mg for the evening

Did you go back on a second course? no, i'd like to, but with the new iPledge system, that would make it a difficult decision just because it's so much of a hassle. it's all worth it for clear skin, but i'm too lazy to do all of that

How's your skin? It was perfectly clear for about 9 months. but now I've started to break out again. (I think I just have bad luck)

How long have you been off it? 10 months.

Did you break out once more when you stopped and then clear up eventually? I didn't until this past month.

Do you do anything for maintenance? I just used over the counter stuff. And I'm on Tazorac now.

What was your dose? 40mg the first two months and then bumped up to 60mg.

Did you go back on a second course? Not yet, but I have a meeting with my derm in 2 weeks to talk about a low dose treatment.

Good luck! Even if your acne comes back, the many months without acne are worth it. ;)

I had bad chest and back acne also, but that is still totally clear. :D

I finished back in the end of March 2006- skin was looking good from about 3 months after, but now the oily skin is coming back, not much, but it is there. I don't remember having any [servere] sort of acne lesion since finishing- probably the same (type and frequency) as any one with 'normal skin.

I still could do with using something for my uneven-ish skin tone, redness, bit of hyperpigmentation etc. But all this is much much more noticeable when the skin gets oily otherwise all is good :D