Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so is intense weight training bad for acne. im 19 so my acne is most likely hormonal and i know working out makes you produce more testosterone. im thinking of really concentrating on working out u know to keep my mind of my skin but now im thinkin it may be counter productive and make it worse.

i know when i used to train very hard my acne was worse than it is now, when i hardly work out, but thta just could be because it was when i had only just started antibiotics and differin and now ive been using it for much longer

Some acne experts say that weight training makes the body produce more testosterone causing more acne.

Alternative medicine folks say that excessive exercise makes the body more 'acidic' which makes disease more likely.

Sweating has been proven not to cause acne.

Excessive exercise can make the appetite larger, causing you to eat more, pump out more insulin and get acne from that.

Weight training is healthy, but there is no need to overdo it unless you want to get much larger. If you want to be much larger than you are genetically meant to be then you will create imbalance in the body. It is just like the big girl who doesn't eat to be smaller than she is meant to be. She will bring imbalance upon herself.

Some acne experts say that weight training makes the body produce more testosterone causing more acne.

Alternative medicine folks say that excessive exercise makes the body more 'acidic' which makes disease more likely.

Sweating has been proven not to cause acne.

Excessive exercise can make the appetite larger, causing you to eat more, pump out more insulin and get acne from that.

Weight training is healthy, but there is no need to overdo it unless you want to get much larger. If you want to be much larger than you are genetically meant to be then you will create imbalance in the body. It is just like the big girl who doesn't eat to be smaller than she is meant to be. She will bring imbalance upon herself.

Its does increase IGF-1, growth hormones and testosterone will it cause acne in you? workout hard for a few weeks and try it.

Yes it can make the body more acidic.

Sweating imo can bring small breakouts - just spend an hour or in a sauna and I seem to get spots.

Eating more doesnt mean more insulin, High protein/fat low carb diets are low in insulin, hi Fat/Carb low protein is low insulin depending on where the calories from carbs come from.

Weight training is healthy in moderation, like 3 times per week 2 body parts a time kinda thing. It can be look at as un natural. In reality your stressing the body, its reaction is to adapt to the stress so next time it will not cause asmuch damage. Like holding a rough heavy object will stress the skin of the hand, in time it will create a calusse so next time it will handle it alot better. Same principle with building muscle.

As a personal trainer, aerobics instructor, and avid weight lifter and runner, I'd say no-weight-lifintg, playing sports, or working out don't have any effect on acne. I was active all through having no acne, severe acne,, mild acne, you name it and physical activity had no effect.

What it did do was make me more confident and gave me a feeling of "belonging" and less prone to staying at home and hiding. You can't let this skin shit stop you from doing what you love. If you personally feel that this kind of activity makes your skin worse, then go ahead and cut back or whatever you need to do. In my personal experience, if I had stopped working out, I would have become a fat depressed slob with acne, rather than a fit, toned, outgoing person with acne.

EDited to add: I'm female-this could make a difference. As a female with a high capaicty to build muscle mass and acne, I think I have more testoserone that the average girl, though.

As a personal trainer, aerobics instructor, and avid weight lifter and runner, I'd say no-weight-lifintg, playing sports, or working out don't have any effect on acne. I was active all through having no acne, severe acne,, mild acne, you name it and physical activity had no effect.

What it did do was make me more confident and gave me a feeling of "belonging" and less prone to staying at home and hiding. You can't let this skin shit stop you from doing what you love. If you personally feel that this kind of activity makes your skin worse, then go ahead and cut back or whatever you need to do. In my personal experience, if I had stopped working out, I would have become a fat depressed slob with acne, rather than a fit, toned, outgoing person with acne.

EDited to add: I'm female-this could make a difference. As a female with a high capaicty to build muscle mass and acne, I think I have more testoserone that the average girl, though.

Nobody is talking about not working out, but I think that it is possible to cause problems by overdoing it. Being fit involves putting the body under some stress, but too much stress can cause injury or hormonal imbalance.

Exercise does make a person feel better in the sense that it normalizes certain neurotransmitters that affect depression. But going so far as saying that it gives you a sense of 'belonging' makes me think that you work out because of the way society treats you. Gym society rewards women who look extremely strong and muscular because they see this type of body as successful.

I do alot of Yoga. One type that I do on occasion is Ashtanga Yoga which is the most physically demanding one. In those classes, the people are much more muscular, driven, stressed and I've noticed tend to get acne. Even the instructor of Ashtanga just got a bad case of acne all over his bald head. I noticed when taking more of those classes that I was losing body fat and gaining muscle, but I was also breaking out. Not a good trade off.

Ever since I started weight training and going to the gym regularly my skin has improved SO much! I think it's all the sweating, getting rid of the toxins etc. Just make sure you shower within an hour of leaving the gym. My advice.

Lee.

I second that. Personally I haven't seen any difference when I increased the intensity of weight training.

And I do agree that we shouldn't stop because we might get an extra pimple or two even if working out breaks you out or something. It gives me much more confidence anyway and I dont want to look all scrawny.

Female with a high capacity to build muscle? Isn't that an oxymoron? ;)

I don't know for sure but I work out almost daily and I seem to get my breakouts concentrated at my temples where the sweat runs most. I do Step aerobics, fast walking , walk aerobics and 2 to 4 times a week lift light weights (I'm female). I don't think working out will cause a person who is not prone to acne to get it, but for someone who is acne prone it may make things worse.

just like the "runner's high," there is def a weight lifting high. when you can't lift the towel to dry yourself after a shower after a workout, its a damn good feeling.

Female with a high capacity to build muscle? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Haha! I'm not saying I'm anywhere near fitness competition status, but if I build any more muscle mass my boyfriend said he'd leave me. :D If I could just cut down, I could compete, but I don't think I could eat THAT clean in order to get my body fat % down to the minimum requirement.

Working out is too damn good to stop for acne!