Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I bought 30 gauge lancets diabetic ultra thin needles today. I'm not sure needling will work for my scars b/c there not bound down but I'd figure I'll try it anyway. Do u use a different needle for ea. scar? Do u sterilize w/ alcohol and apply alcohol to the area your treating? Things not to do etc? If u take your time to answer I appreciate it very much. BTW do u apply anything afterward, what's ur opinion on using this w/ the Acne Free Scar Erase.

I want to know if needling can in fact leave visible prick marks in your skin. I was able to buy diabetic lancets (around 20-27 gauge I think - it doesn't say on the box). I never bought the needles or syringes, since I needed a diabetic consent form type of thing, or prescription.

The lancets I've used are quite thin regardless - they broke the skin without fuss, but now I'm noticing tiny prick marks (like tiny ice picks or enlarged pores). I'm not sure whether they were there beforehand, or whether I'm imagining it, simply becasue I didn't use the 30 gauge lancets like others recommend. I do, however, notice my scars look less noticeable at least, so that's encouraging nonetheless.

- To answer some of your questions, I used the same lancet for one scar, replacing it each time I moved on to another. I believe the tip gets blunt quite easily. The lancets I bought came in a pack of 100, so there's no chance of running out anytime soon. Alcohol - I used alcohol swabs to clean the skin before needling, and to wipe the blood off afterwards.

Straying a little, I never heard that "popping" sound like everyone mentions, but then again I never poked my scars that deep. I just broke the skin enough to make it bleed, and gently too, not stabbing/jabbing furiously like some others have recommended. That seems like a terrible way to destroy the skin, in my opinion.

But all that said, I'm no expert at needling. I've only attempted it once, following advice from some of the threads I've read on here. There's so many adverse/different reactions on needling. A guide to needling would be fantastic. I wish someone with vast experience (and who have had success using this method) would make a sticky thread, and post EXACTLY how to perform it!

I agree w/ u about there being so many diff. ways people differ in how they needle, I just want to b sure i don't do damage and use the most effective way possible. The same goes for TCA, peels, etc. everyone posts diff. steps and products it's difficult to determine what exactly to do. Never the less thank u for your time and respose Info-blizzard.

I have only needled a couple of times, so I am by no means an expert, but since no one else is answering I'll share what I do know. I don't think it matters if your scars are bound down. Even if a scar is bound down, just by self needling you aren't going to break all of the tethers that are holding it down. I think the point of subcision is more to break the tethers (as well as to stimulate collagen). The point of needling is just to create an injury to stimulate collagen production and probably more scar tissue to fill in under the scar and lift it up a bit.

I think what Info-blizzard said is best, to swab the scar with alcohol first and change needles for each scar. I swabbed with alcohol after needling too, but I have heard some on here say not to because it is too drying. As far as visible needle marks, that can happen but they are very small and go away pretty quick, the smaller the needle the less visible marks you will have. If you are aggressive, there is a lot of general redness that can last awhile. I used 33 gauge lancets, which may be less effective I don't know, but I figured for my beginner attempts, the smaller the better. Info, if you don't hear popping, then the scar you are needling may not have much scar tissue. Did it hurt? When you needle scar tissue, you hear the pop and it doesn't hurt. Non-scar tissue, no pop and you can feel it more. And, you don't need to needle deeply to hear the pop. Atleast with mine, when I heard the pop it was pretty much right when the needle went in.

I tried a scar on my leg before any on my face to see how my skin reacted to it. That one actually responded pretty well, but I was way more aggressive than I would be brave enough to be with my face.

I used a small dab of neosporin on mine for the first few days, until any visible marks went away. I have read of other people putting things like copper peptides or retin-a on, I think only after any visible wound heals though, maybe after one or two weeks depending on how aggressively you needled. I would think the same goes for the acne free scar erase. Hopefully a seasoned needler will chime in and share what worked for them.