Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oceanmist

eating healthy is causing breakouts...?

okay i decided to go the holistic route about a month ago. i cut out sugar, refined carbs, excessive meats, dairy. i eat tons of veges, leafy greens, moderate amounts of fruit, lots of water, brown rice, fish. i'm taking vitamin B-50, maca powder (hormone stabilizing root plant), aloe vera juice, milk thistle, respiractin (helps clear our respiratory system... lungs are linked to skin, but im taking it cuz i have a weak immune system), omega 3/6/9 oils, and more recently, multivitamins. Topically, i use aloe vera soap, aloe vera gel and jojobal oil.

The past few months ive been breaking out in place where i never ever broke out in the past 4 years... like on my chin, upper lip, and side cheeks (my forehead is mainly the vulnerable spot). i will get a random pimple here, and there.. and they die off soon enough, but my asian skin likes to hyperpigment extremely easily so i also get red marks left behind...

Since starting the holistic route, I think my marks are fading a little faster, but I am still getting those random breakouts every week. its like an endless cycle... what i want to know is.... am i doing something wrong? or is my skin in a purging/detoxifying state...

i also have constipation, and this diet has been helping me go regularly now... but still not always.

any advice/comments much appreciated. thanks

In my opinion.. changes in the location of acne is a good sign. I think it signifies the you're doing something right and that is effecting your acne. Why would I know though ..lol

Actually your topicals make you break out and not the healthy food

i can't see how jojoba oil and aloe vera gel would make me break out...??

Milk thistle and Fish oil pills have both broken people on here out before, despite the fact that both are healthy.

Milk thistle and Fish oil pills have both broken people on here out before, despite the fact that both are healthy.

Wow, this sounds JUST like my case! About two months ago I started probably the exact same diet you're on (minus the pills though). Just like you, I broke out along my cheeks and especially near the sides of my mouth which is a place I've never broken out before. I too have asian skin and right now I have redmarks all over that will hopefully fade soon.

Anyways, about a week ago I stopped the extreme parts of the diet because I've never had acne all over my face like I began to get when I started the diet. Yes it helped as far as cysts and big major zits, but I started getting tiny ones (that have left redmarks) all over my face so the tradeoff wasn't good. Now, I eat semi back to normal, but I follow the guidelines of trying to minimize dairy, fried foods, white sugar, and refined carbs. Here's an interesting one though, I also don't eat salads everyday now. I've gone back to my veggies via lettuce in a sandwich and a cup of V8 (even though I know it's not the same as a whole salad). Someone pointed out that I could be breaking out because leafy greens are extremely prone to containing pesticides so eating it daily wasn't good (sad but possibly true). It's hard to tell from only a weeks time, but my face seems to be calming down and is now more or less in the healing process.

I also highly doubt it's the aloe vera gel or jojoba oil because I've been using both thoughout the whole time and my acne has been fluxuating anyways.

If you want, you're more than welcome to PM me and keep each other updated since we're both going through the same problem.

b complex. If you take that on a daily basis then that could be aggravating your condition. Although "deficiencies" can lead to acne, too much of particular b vitamins (such as b1) can exacerbate peoples' acne. I have seen quite a few posts where people claim that they started breaking out in unfamiliar locations after taking b complex and it certainly can at least help trigger breakouts. I'm not claiming causality but certainly supplements that are put into the body can sometimes induce reactions. As far as aloe vera gel, I have read a few posts in which people said it made them breakout, (perhaps it brings acne to the surface). IDK. High Omegas as R.S. said as well. We know that everyone is different so not everyone will react the same. I know it's all speculative and confusing. Nonetheless, that's just my few suggestions.

wow thanks for all the advice guys! but im left confused as ever... seems like every treatment always seems to contradict itself. :doubt:

the supplements were recommended to me by a naturpathic doctor. she said vitamin-B50 would be very good for me. i take milk thistle to help me to go to bathroom more regularly, which my dad gave me since he had constipation too. but how can fish oil cause breakouts? and i thought omega oils were good for skin and hair... (says on the bottle!). and eating too many leafy green cuz of pesticides now too eh?... agh. well time to go organic... (but so $$$!!)

i felt like i was on the "perfect health route" but .... man the human body is so complicated! :doh: now i don't know what to continue and what to stop.

well i CAN say that even though i have been breaking out, my marks seem dimmer and my skin seems to be healing a bit faster. pimples will come to a head quicker and soon die down (although they leave a mark)....

Out of any food, there's only a few I feel are absolutely necessary to buy organic. One is dairy, the other is leafy greens... Seriously, with the greens it's not that much more $ and it's way more worth it, especially the super dark young leafy greens.

Anyways fish oil can break you out via allergy. I got horrible breakouts from cod liver oil

wow thanks for all the advice guys! but im left confused as ever... seems like every treatment always seems to contradict itself. :doubt:

the supplements were recommended to me by a naturpathic doctor. she said vitamin-B50 would be very good for me. i take milk thistle to help me to go to bathroom more regularly, which my dad gave me since he had constipation too. but how can fish oil cause breakouts? and i thought omega oils were good for skin and hair... (says on the bottle!). and eating too many leafy green cuz of pesticides now too eh?... agh. well time to go organic... (but so $$$!!)

i felt like i was on the "perfect health route" but .... man the human body is so complicated! :doh: now i don't know what to continue and what to stop.

well i CAN say that even though i have been breaking out, my marks seem dimmer and my skin seems to be healing a bit faster. pimples will come to a head quicker and soon die down (although they leave a mark)....

What type of seafood are you eating? Some can lead to acne flares - especially sushi (seaweed and kelp are major triggers). Peanuts are another thing to avoid - so you might cut out peanut products if you are eating those.

What type of seafood are you eating? Some can lead to acne flares - especially sushi (seaweed and kelp are major triggers). Peanuts are another thing to avoid - so you might cut out peanut products if you are eating those.

are you serious? seaweed and sushi? oh man i like... live on that stuff. i have seaweed soup and/or sushi like at least once a week. whats wrong with that stuff? i eat shrimp too.. i eat a lot of seaweed because it has a lot of calcium.. and since i stopped taking dairy...

i haven't eaten peanuts for a long time. i avoid nuts because of their high iodine content.

what i DON"T get.. is that last year when i lived on residence, i ate a more western diet... with my share of chocolate milk, cheese, bread, and potatoes.... and i barely broke out... no joke...

but I DID notice that i started breaking out when i came home... when i ate my mom's korean food. the only thing that really changed was yes, i started eating more seafood like shrimp, and also seaweed and soy (from soy sauce and miso... although i dont eat much miso anymore cuz i started getting an allergy...)

so maybe it's the seaweed and/or shrimp?? cuz honestly i dont really see a connection between dairy and acne that much...

man... what CAN i eat... im so confused.

i will do some research on this seaweed deal. man.... but i love seaweed! more than chocolate milk! :(

Actually your topicals make you break out and not the healthy food

i can't see how jojoba oil and aloe vera gel would make me break out...??

Anything topical can make you break out. Also consider the stress you get when each day you apply your topicals and see yourself in the mirror like 10mins a day....

okay i did a quick google search and found that "SEAWEED and SHELLFISH have a high iodine content and can lead to acne flareups" ............. :confused:

.........annnnnnd tonight i ate like an entire sashimi boat for dinner too. :redface:

i also found that the following foods also have a high iodine content:

-Turkey

-asparagus

-beef liver

-kelp

-iodized salt

-chips with sea salt

-brocolli

-cauliflower

um... okay but i don't get the BROCOLLI part. isn't brocolli like... one of THE best skin foods out there? my goodness...

well i am going to limit cut out seaweed and shrimp for the next few weeks and see what happens! unfortunately, because im making so many other dramatic changes in my diet/supplements.. and skin care routine, it will be difficult to pinpoint if there is any connection at all.

back again. just a list a found that might be helpful to anyone... especially if your asian and your diet contains a lot more seaweed than a western diet. i am being more and more convinced of iodince being a trigger in my acne (not necessarily a CAUSE, but definately a trigger).

it's in a chart form on the website. sorry its not so clear here... but the link is:

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/bookshelf/Books/47/2.cfm

~~~~~

"Iodine is a factor in some people who are prone to acne," says James E. Fulton, Jr., M.D., Ph.D. " Iodine enters the body and mixes into the bloodstream, with the excess excreted through the oil glands. As it is excreted, it irritates the pores and brings on an acne flare-up."

Dr. Fulton does not currently know at what level the iodides could bring on an acne attack, but he warns that "excessive long-term ingestion can induce acne attacks."

Food/Beverage Iodides (ppm)

DAIRY

Cheddar cheese spread 27

Butter 26

Homogenized Milk 11

Sour cream 7

Cottage cheese 5

Yogurt 3

Drinking water (U.S. average) 8

MEAT/POULTRY

Beef liver 325

Turkey 132

Chicken 67

Hamburger 44

Miscellaneous

Tortilla chips 80

Wheat germ 46

Potato chips 40

Pretzels 15

White bread 8

Coca-Cola 3

Sugar 2

SALT

Iodized 54

Seasoned 40

SEAFOOD

Kelp 1,020

Squid 39

Crab 33

Sole 24

Clams 20

Shrimp 17 <--- (hmm not so high as i thought...)

Lobster 9

Oysters 8

VEGETABLES

Asparagus 169

Broccoli 90 <--- (this is sad.)

Onions (white) 82

Corn 45

Brussels sprouts 23

Potato 9

Green beans 7

High fat and oil intake which includes omegas and fish oils can aggravate an individual's acne condition. For example, some people say that they begin to break out when taking fish oil or flaxseed oil whereas others say they don't notice a difference and some say it actually helps. Yes the omega 3-6-9 are all good in balance and are good for skin, but not necessarily a guarentee of acne free. For example, iodine is good for dry skin yet it can aggravate individuals' acne. B vitamins are great and many people are clearly lacking an adequate intake. They are good for skin. However, e.g., a deficiency in biotin may "bring on" acne, a high dose of biotin may also lead to skin eruptions. (therefore those individuals need a lower dosage). B vitamins are important for wound healing and are good for skin, but this doesn't necessarily mean that acne prone individuals won't have a bad reaction to large doses of b vitamins. Some individual b vitamins, conversely, in high dosages likely won't aggravate your condition. This is all why some people cut their dosages or take them every other day or 3rd day. But you should definitely listen to the advice and recommendations from the naturopathic doctor you spoke with, and if you can go back, ask again, and tell him or her what's goin on. It's all person specific and each person has specific vitamin/mineral ratios requirements.

High fat and oil intake which includes omegas and fish oils can aggravate an individual's acne condition. For example, some people say that they begin to break out when taking fish oil or flaxseed oil whereas others say they don't notice a difference and some say it actually helps. Yes the omega 3-6-9 are all good in balance and are good for skin, but not necessarily a guarentee of acne free. For example, iodine is good for dry skin yet it can aggravate individuals' acne. B vitamins are great and many people are clearly lacking an adequate intake. They are good for skin. However, e.g., a deficiency in biotin may "bring on" acne, a high dose of biotin may also lead to skin eruptions. (therefore those individuals need a lower dosage). B vitamins are important for wound healing and are good for skin, but this doesn't necessarily mean that acne prone individuals won't have a bad reaction to large doses of b vitamins. Some individual b vitamins, conversely, in high dosages likely won't aggravate your condition. This is all why some people cut their dosages or take them every other day or 3rd day. But you should definitely listen to the advice and recommendations from the naturopathic doctor you spoke with, and if you can go back, ask again, and tell him or her what's goin on. It's all person specific and each person has specific vitamin/mineral ratios requirements.

thanks for that advice. perhaps i am "overdosing" on supplements... or maybe its all the iodine.. or a combination of both. anyways, i will take my supplements every 3 days i think.. and cut back on my seaweed and seafood. and we'll see from there.

my naturopathic doctor did say that i had a deficiency in chromium, and possibly iron. i didn't get a chromium supplement though, because there was none in liquid form (its hard for me to take pills).

i did some more research and found that:

"Chromium is important because one researcher refers to acne as "skin diabetes." Acne patients do not metabolize sugar correctly and their skin cells do not uptake glucose because of insulin insensitivity, much like some diabetics. Chromium aids acne by reducing skin infections rates."

"up to 90% of the population may be deficient in chromium. Chromium is related to blood sugar - the more sugars we eat, the more chromium we need. Hence the common deficiency; most people eat excess sugar foods. Researchers have found that people with unstable blood sugar levels have a high incidence of severe acne and that when these patients are given 400 micrograms of chromium in the form of yeast, their skin rapidly improved"

makes sense, doesnt it though? its hard to get enough chromium in your diet.. the best sources is brewer's yeast and molasses (and who eats THAT everyday...?). i am considering getting pills... but i already have so many unfinished supplements just sitting on my counter.. it gets a little wearisome to keep buying and trying new stuff... not knowing if your doing something good or bad for your skin.

thanks to everyone for your input! hopefully one day we can all get down bottom of all this, for each of our own specific needs.