Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jodiat

Acid/Alkaline Theory

Is it a real guage of health?

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelate...DSH/coral2.html

This is obviously a strong view against any Acid/Alkaline theory. However ive read a couple of books touting a similar positive from 80% Alkaline 20% Acid.

Ive tried this for a year or so and noticed while I had super low body fat I look rather too skinny and Gaunt. I did notice mucus had dissapeared completly from my Nose, when waking in the morning I could freely breath though my nose. I also noticed my skin cleared from acne, my body ouder had no smell and my breath had no smell.

I used some pH Stix to test my pH of sliva and urine. I found little difference in pH of the mouth with a high Acid diet and a high alkaline diet. Urine changed its pH relativly.

Question is what is healthy? Most of the Western world I can bet is eating more acid then alkaline. Does this make it right? Is this healthy? What about cultures untoughed by western diet? Are they too Acid or Alkaline? Is this theory a gimick?

Hey jodiat,

All I know is that my good friends mom had cancer and after treatment was told to monitor her body's PH level. That advice came from her MDs not holistic doctors. She was encouraged and taught how to keep an alkaline PH balance and to monitor and record when and if she had any acid levels. Her doctor stressed it's very important to maintian alkalinity for maintaing a healthy internal environmnet. She's still cancer free which is good news. I tested myself and I find I'm always alkaline which I'm surprised about. Supposedly most people in more Westernized areas have an acidic PH level. My diet is the leading cause of the alkalinity obviously. I find it interesting, I heard so much about it from my friends mother and it always intrigued me.

Is it a real guage of health?

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelate...DSH/coral2.html

This is obviously a strong view against any Acid/Alkaline theory. However ive read a couple of books touting a similar positive from 80% Alkaline 20% Acid.

Ive tried this for a year or so and noticed while I had super low body fat I look rather too skinny and Gaunt. I did notice mucus had dissapeared completly from my Nose, when waking in the morning I could freely breath though my nose. I also noticed my skin cleared from acne, my body ouder had no smell and my breath had no smell.

The wrong theory states that the PH of the body may turn acidic and this may cause several health probles

The people at quackwatch (which by they way are often wrong and considered any alternative kind of treatment from those requiring drugs, invasive therapies and power to the doctors an hoax) say "wait a moment, if the blood would turn acidic we would be death in a matter of second"

In fact the body has a way to buffer these acid so that the Ph of the body is kept constant

The problem in other words doesn't come from the blood or secretion changing their Ph but from the electrolytes depletion required to maintain this Ph when nutients from our foods can't maintain it

So they're right at quackwatch this time as even small modification in Ph of your blood and your stomach would be well on the way to be fatal. The problem is that since the body wants to survive and must take the alkaline base to neutralize sulphuric acid (in order to maintain a life-promoting body Ph) and sacrifice mineral density in favour of keeping you alive

Sebastian A, Harris ST, Ottaway JH, Todd KM, Morris RC. Improve mineral balance and skeletal in

postmenopausal women treated with potassium bicarbonate. NEJM 1994 June 23;330(25):1176-1781

Bushinsky DA. Acid-base inbalance and the skeleton. Eur J. Nutr 2001; 40(5):283-244

Tucker KL, Hannan MT, Chen H, Cupples LA, Wilson PW, Kiel DP. Potassium, magnesium, and fruits and vegetable intakes are associated with greater bone mineral density in elderly men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 1999 April 1;69(4)727-736

I actually do feel Acid/Alkaline has importance, I alway have. Largly because most of the books ive read keep bringing it up. Also from my year of trying it the pluses were large, I now realise for my body and job/exercise I was low in Acid foods and this gave me my problems. Maybe this theory will hold more relevance in the next few years. Not mainstream because health doctors and medical establishments will spread rumours that will kill its growth because it will not make them money.

When Im on more of the alkalinizing diet and supplements, I feel better and my skin looks better...but these foods are healthy anyway so it could just be an issue of antioxidants/nutrients.

The article is the dumbest thing ever. It is talking about stomatch changing acidity.....wtf? No the problem here is skin!!! The digested acidic and alkaline molecules go to your skin cells that lost acid from alkaline soaps. Stomatch cant change acidity because your body monitors all pH level everywhere, and if something lacks or has too many of something, it will take digested molecules and send it there.