Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meri

Smoothbeam just for active acne -not scars

I was wondering if anyone had tried smoothbeam for getting rid of acne, not just scars or if those treating scars had seen a significant reduction of active acne.

Thanks

Meri,

Smoothbeam is supposed to be really good for acne. From the info that I first read, that's what SB was initially designed for, then they discovered that the acne patients were having some scar revision from it. I've noticed a significant reduction in oil production since my 2nd treatment. I only have an occasional pimple now, but when they zapped one during a treatment, it was gone the next day.

That's really good to hear. My first consultation is on Friday and I think I might get zapped that day. Im just a little nervous about spending so much money I want to make sure Im doing the right thing - Im not as worried about my scars (even though i have a lot) as the acne that keeps coming and coming. How many treatments have you had/going to have? Do you think two does enough or more are needed to see benefit

Meri,

I've had 2 treatments so far; going for my 3rd next Friday. I'm initially going for 6 treatments, then we'll re-evaluate. I'm going for scarring so I'm not sure how many they recommend for acne.

For active acne, they recommend that you do it 2 weeks apart for 3-5 times depending on the severity of the active acne. I was going to do this program, but then my dr. said my acne wasn't that severe and put me on the 4-6 times every 3-4 weeks for my scar revision.

smile.gif nancy

Tai,

I saw a slight improvement after the first tx; after the second one, my extremely oily skin dried up and now the scars seem more noticeable than before. I've been kinda bummed about that but others have also experienced this before they saw improvement so I'm still hopeful.

In case there are others out there reading this with the same concersns I thought I would send an update: I had my consultation today and my first treatment. The doctor told me to expect a breakout while the zits already forming sufaced but he said within 2-3 treatments i should expect 80% -90% improvement by the time Im done. He definitely said i have to be patient though- it will take a while for my skin to clear but took pics so I could see the difference at the end of the treatments. My doc included numbing cream free, well as part of the price - 500 for two full face sessions as well as numbing shots if I wanted them. I had to say it kinda hurt and I looked awful for an hour but within 2 hours i looked totally normal. Im really excited. Im hoping this is the beginning to the rest of my life without major acne. Good luck to all of you and I will keep you posted on my progress

Well its now February and I am probably about two months out from my last session. I had a total of two session and decided to see what I thought before getting more because of the money. I would say I am definitely less oily. I do have less acne - i can definitey tell in some areas that were really bad before. However, I woudn't say Im 90% clear like they advertised. My skin is a lot smoother and my scars, including a non-acne scar on my face look a lot better. They are hardly noticeable. I would have to say Im not really satisfied with the acne part (the reason I went) becuase I thought, well hoped, I would be able to get rid of all my acne. Alas, I started using Benzyl peroxide again to clear up some breakouts. I think the acne I have now cycles through faster in that the time noticing it, it surfaces and then heals is faster than it was prior to smoothbeam. So i guess thats good. Ive thought about getting more sessions done because maybe i just need more to really clear me but I cant afford it right now.

I would say I had moderate acne - I had cystic acne as well as the smaller stuff like blackheads but I didnt/dont have that really scarring type that leaves the ice pick scars. Since smoothbeam I have still had, mm maybe three cysts but they healed really fast. Ill check out your other thread. Good luck to you!

Does anyone know of any doctors/places that do SB in the Los Angeles or surrounding areas???

Thanks in advance...