Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

You want it? You got it!!

Guest ThereIsHope

Heya chikadees! Well what do you know, we're all in the same boat. We all got zits, we all want clear skin, so we all get accutane. It feels nice to join the party. :cool:

So here's my backround!!

I'm a 17 year old female from Texas who has suffered from acne since puberty, so basically since about 11 years of age. At first they were just little wee baby pimples.....around my nose and forehead. By middle school I had monthly breakouts when visited by my lovely red lady friend. Uh huh, you know who i'm talking about. Not too bad, still mild acne. Went to the derm(who I thought would CURE me dagnabit) and got duac and antibiotics. Did NOTHING. Zip. Zero. Nada.

At age 16 I was sitting at home one day and I saw it. The MIRACLE product. A gorgeous blonde goddess smiled at me and hypnotized me and as she spoke these words: "Hi, i'm Jessica Simpson. Clear skin is sexy skin, and I used to suffer from horrible breakouts until I used Proactive!" The witch pulled me in. In one hop skip and a jump I was over at that oh so adorable kiosk at the mall and I whipped out my babysitting money faster than you can say "sacylic acid."

2 months later I went from mild acne to severe cysts covering my lower cheeks and jawline. Thanks Proactive. You meant alot to me.

Soo I tried an organic acne regimen. NOTHING. I tried the CSR. NOTHING. I even got pulled into the B5 scam and have been on 10grams for the past 2 and a half months. So far the ONLY thing that has worked is drinking carrot juice everyday which has cleared my forhead. Other than that i'm still screwed.

BUT the almighty God has smiled upon me and the blessed man called my derm (who looks like he just stepped off of that 70s show) prescibed me the ticket to happiness called accutane. I start at 40mgs as soon as I get my second bloodwork done as soon as I start my next period. (come on you little sucker....can't you come early just for ONCE??)

I should start in a week or two. Wish me luck you guysies!! I'll keep ya'll updated!

Awww lily youre too funny! Yeah you sound just like me with your acne history. Dont worry you will be clear soon. Just remember everyday is one day closer to clear skin.

good luck sweetie!

Haha i used proactive too, funny thing is that despite all the negative stuff i hear about it, the period i used to was probably the clearest i got in my life(maybe cos i was in the sun all day).And the ironic thing is accutane broke me out the worse in my entire life.But now things are finally starting to look better(took about 90 freaking days), hope u dont get a horrible IB like i did!

Guest ThereIsHope

Thanks guys!

I'm so excited. I'm totally gonna start soon. I know because i've been craving chocolate and tortilla chips at the same time. :D

Skin wise:

NO large papules, nodules, or visible cysts!! Yay!

TONS of clogged pores. My face looks like brail. Yay. (sarcasm)

Redmarks are so bad it looks like some little 3-year-old had a finger painting session in fire engine red on my cheeks.

And.........I picked at the blackheads on my forehead for the first time in weeeeekkkss. I just couldn't help it!! :(

Guest ThereIsHope

I got second pregnancy test today, so I should start tane as soon as I get the results and the prescription form my derm!! YAY!!! :dance:

I'm breaking out from my period, but it isn't as bad as it usually is.

Ok guys, i'm making a list of things I need for tane! Please tell me if this list is good and if i should add/take off anything!!

omega 3 fish oil capsules

vitamin e capsules

good body lotion

aquaphor (where do I buy this, anyone have a pic of what it looks like??)

dan's cortibalm

burts' bees chapstick

differin/duac topicals to contiue using until I am dry/spot treat

kiss my face all-natural olive oil soap bar to wash my face (I LOVE it, so gentle and leaves me skin ssooofffttt)

whats a good facial moisterizer to use that will look good under mineral make-up??? please help! thanks!

Heyy. Everything looks good. My recommendation would be to just chill down a little. Your treatment is going to go great, and many people hardly experience any side effects at all. Remember that the mind is very powerful and can actually induce some symptoms if you convince yourself that they will happen. I remember my first few days of taking the medication I was convinced that I was going to have headaches and vision problems from taking the drugs. Guess What... I did! Once I realized that I was reading about accutane too much online and paying too much attention to the symptoms, they went away completely. Don't stress out too much, and just take each day as it comes.

However, I would really recommend Carmex. Its a great moisturzing lipbalm and contains Salicylic acid which will essentially exfoliate your lips and prevent them from peeling. I've been using it exclusively for the last week and my chapped lips completely went away.

Good Luck! And keep posting so we know how it goes.

Guest ThereIsHope

thanks royksopp, I really appreciate your reply!

Yeah, I totally need to chil out. I know i'll be ok, but when you start hearing horror stories on this board about IBs with 25+ cysts and back pains and not clearing up till MONTHS after treatment, you start getting pretty freaked out like I have been. :wacko:

Thanks, i'll look into the carmex stuff. Sounds pretty good to me.

I should be starting tane as soon as the lab sends the results to my derm and I can pick up my prescription, so sometime next week! Yay! :dance:

Skin looks okay. Not great, but not aweful at all. Differin is still pulling stuff to the surface, so I have alot of clogged pores everywhere, and some whiteheads near my jawline, but thats about it. I do though feel something hard under the skin near my hair line, and i've been icing it in hopes that it won't get too big. :(

Tane will work its magic on me though! I'm confident!

Oh and I picked up some aloe vera gel and started using it on my face a couple of days ago, i'm happy to say my redmarks ALREADY look a little better! Alot less inflamed during the day too. I think this would be a good thing to use during tane right??

Guest ThereIsHope

I'm not a happy camper.

I just got a call from the derm's office and it turns out I took my second pregnancy test just 7 days before I was supposed to. Now I have to wait ONE MORE WHOLE MONTH until my next period and THEN I can start tane.

I seriously want to cry. :(

And I was so exicted about starting tane this week too........ :(:(:(

I'm not a happy camper.

I just got a call from the derm's office and it turns out I took my second pregnancy test just 7 days before I was supposed to. Now I have to wait ONE MORE WHOLE MONTH until my next period and THEN I can start tane.

I seriously want to cry. :(

And I was so exicted about starting tane this week too........ :( :( :(

Sorry chick..........Derms can be morons. My derm (actually a P.A.) is really good about the I-pledge nonsense. He made sure to tell me to go for my pregnancy test at least 31 days after the first one. Then he said he could just do one in the office to make it easier.....

I don't understand why you couldn't get another one next week..........If you had one, and it was negative, and another three weeks later, and it was negative, what's wrong with having a third a week later? Would it make a difference really......you'll still have two a month apart (with one in the middle)..........

thanks royksopp, I really appreciate your reply!

Yeah, I totally need to chil out. I know i'll be ok, but when you start hearing horror stories on this board about IBs with 25+ cysts and back pains and not clearing up till MONTHS after treatment, you start getting pretty freaked out like I have been. :wacko:

Thanks, i'll look into the carmex stuff. Sounds pretty good to me.

I should be starting tane as soon as the lab sends the results to my derm and I can pick up my prescription, so sometime next week! Yay! :dance:

Skin looks okay. Not great, but not aweful at all. Differin is still pulling stuff to the surface, so I have alot of clogged pores everywhere, and some whiteheads near my jawline, but thats about it. I do though feel something hard under the skin near my hair line, and i've been icing it in hopes that it won't get too big. :(

Tane will work its magic on me though! I'm confident!

Oh and I picked up some aloe vera gel and started using it on my face a couple of days ago, i'm happy to say my redmarks ALREADY look a little better! Alot less inflamed during the day too. I think this would be a good thing to use during tane right??

Ouch! I had similar problems before starting. First the nurse forgot to register me into iPlege, then my pregnancy test was too early, no idea why you cannot just take another one a week later and start then, but same thing happened to me. My derm didn't make me wait until my period though, he never even asked. After all that I had to have a preauthorization for my insurance and they made me get another pregnancy test! Grrr! I am going strong now, but make sure to read up on iPlege requirements, it can be tricky. Hang in there, it will be worth the wait.

aquaphor (where do I buy this, anyone have a pic of what it looks like??)

[attachmentid=6375]

I also use mineral make-up and I have used both cetaphil and eucerin for redness. I usually just wait a while after putting the moisturizer on before putting the make-up on or it feels like the make-up is sticking to the moisturizer.

Guest ThereIsHope

Thanks guys........i'm feeling better. 4 weeks isn't too much to wait. I mean, i've had acne for YEARS, whats another month compared to all that?? :lol:

I went to my bible study the other night and all the girls that I hadnt seen in a while commented on how good my skin is looking! And i've just been using topicals! That makes me feel alot better. At least its not as horrible as I imagine it to be.

Skin right now:

Lots of clogged pores and baby whiteheads near jawline. About 2 small pustles on cheek. They appear and disapear really quick though. The differin just keeps pulling more and more to the surface. My skin is starting to look alot smoother because of it, and i'm not getting pustles/nodules/cysts hardly at ALL lately! :dance:

Guest ThereIsHope

About 3 more weeks until tane...........

Skin:

Looking alot smoother with make-up, but up close there are just sssooooo many little clogged pores the differin is cleaning out. And these 2 cysts that have been sitting on my jawline for MONTHS now are coming to the surface. Hopefully for good!

I've been using ACV for the past 2 months with the hope it it helping my redmarks but it hasnt done a darn thing, so I bought a new toner at GNC the other day called "Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel" and it has aloe vera and vitamin E as well, so I thought i'd give it a shot. Its definetely calmed down my skin and my redness is less noticable, but its pulling more clogged pores to the surface quicker. I guess thats a good thing. At least it smells pretty. :D

Guest ThereIsHope

Should start tane in about 2 weeks...........Woot!

Skin looks pretty good, nothing huge at the moment, just lots of clogged pores and baby whiteheads that come and go in a day. Also a swollen oil gland near my jawline but thats been there since the summer, I sure hope tane beats the crap out of that sucker. :(

Good luck!!!!!!! sorry about having to wait to take tane....

My skin is mostly redmarks too.... but, I do break out every few days with usually small ones that are gone in a week or so.... I hope one day I can get the courage to go to the Derm and get accutane and get this shit taken care of...

CSR did nothing for me either... it made my skin WAY worse!!! I broke out with 10 new spots a day for a while... then, I started to scar.. :( really depressing... and I NEVER had a scar before I started CSR.... oh well... shit happens....

It's coming up soon girlie... you'll be on the tane in no time!!! (:

Guest ThereIsHope

Thanks! You too!

Weellll guys I should start tane sometime this week! YES!

Its weird. During the two months i've been waiting for tane my skin has cleared up ssoooo much with the topicals the derm gave me. It honestly makes me wonder if I need tane. But I want to go on it anyway. I dont want to have to keep applying stupid chemicals twice a day to keep clear. Not to mention I also break out some on my back. Hopefully since i've cleared up so much I wont get a IB. At least a bad one anyway.

whats a good facial moisterizer to use that will look good under mineral make-up??? please help! thanks!

Hey Good luck! You're really pretty! Oh i use fruit of the earth 100% aloe vera gel. works great!

Guest ThereIsHope

Thanks guys! :wub:

I should start accutane tommarow!! WWEEEEE! :cool:

However, I am having a bad breakout for the first time in weeks. :(

Guest ThereIsHope

DAY 2:

I took my first pill yesterday!!! YES!

I'm starting out on 40mgs.........I have no clue if I will get bumped up to a higher dose later on or not.

My skin looks decent right now. NO cysts or papules, just alot of little whiteheads around my chin/jawline are that are skin-colored and come off in the shower. My face however, is REALLY red. It must be the dry winter air..........and the tane hasnt even kicked in yet. Bah.

I'm really happy you finally got your accutane Lily! I hate you though, because you started one day before me. :snooty::razz:

Hope everything goes well for you! :D

Guest ThereIsHope

Haha I beat you Zippo! ;) But thanks guys!

Day 6:

Anybody wanna bathe in oil? Running a little low?? Well, you are in luck! Because my face is a literal oil pool! I havnt broken out since I started the tane, but all of a sudden my face is ssooooooooo oily! I have to blot it every ten minutes. :(

This is pretty common at the begining of tane right??

Haha I beat you Zippo! ;) But thanks guys!

Day 6:

Anybody wanna bathe in oil? Running a little low?? Well, you are in luck! Because my face is a literal oil pool! I havnt broken out since I started the tane, but all of a sudden my face is ssooooooooo oily! I have to blot it every ten minutes. :(

This is pretty common at the begining of tane right??

it's normal, the oil will be gone soon enough, in a few weeks it should be completely gone. oil is one thing i definitely don't miss.