Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay im officialy confused! here are my qus lol :

1. is it bad to eat foods that contain vitamin A?

Milk iz rich in vitamin A yet it says on the medication package to take with milk...i dont get it :eh:

2. it says to have a low fat diet yet the drug apparently obsorbs better if you have fat in your food....how does this make sence??? :shock:

lol if any1 could help me out with these qu's that would be great :cool: as i tend to drink a fair bit of milk and i dont know what foods i should be avoiding lol XxOoxX!

I think it means not to take supplements that contain vitamin A, food that contains it is ok.

You can have good fats in your food.

Peanut butter is supposed to be good as is tuna and salmon.

It doesn't really leave you many options though, i'll just wait untill my 1st bloodtest to see if my levels have gone up or stayed the same.

I think it means not to take supplements that contain vitamin A, food that contains it is ok.

You can have good fats in your food.

Peanut butter is supposed to be good as is tuna and salmon.

It doesn't really leave you many options though, i'll just wait untill my 1st bloodtest to see if my levels have gone up or stayed the same.

That's kind of what I am doing. I haven't changed my eating habits but I have cut my alcohol by half. I am a daily drinker and have been for years. I have cut that back to .5-1 per day. I will let my liver test determine whether I need to abstain from alcohol. The derm didn't think it would be a problem but, of course, every one's different.

Platinum

I havent had a drink in 2 weeks now. I usually drank on a saturday and sunday. I think it will help out my liver a bit anyway plus i'll save some money as alcohol is expensive here.

I'll have to stop smoking cigarettes soon, i said i would stop the day after my skin got clear.

haha thx guys :razz: yea my mum looked it up and it said its okay to eat stuff with vitamin A but should stay clear of egg yolks lol damnit...i love my eggs! lol! It also really sux coz i like to drink my bacardi and my 18th bday is comming up soon and i wont be able to drink!!! this is sooo not fair! lol ohwell...a few wont hurt hopefully lol

You can eat eggs and you can drink milk, the Vitamin A levels in them are not too high. The only food you really need to avoid are organ meats like liver which are really high in pre-formed Vitamin A, and supplements which are really high in pre-formed Vitamin A, but Vitamin A in the form of carotenes is OK.

Oh, and you really need to take your pill with a good source of fat - it more than doubles absorption. Choose good fats like those in olive oil, avocado, nuts, and oily fish like salmon. The advice on "low fat diet" is outdated. What you need is a low-bad-fat diet (avoid saturated fats and trans fats), but a meal rich in good-fat (poly and mono unsaturated fats) to take your pills with.

You can eat eggs and you can drink milk, the Vitamin A levels in them are not too high. The only food you really need to avoid are organ meats like liver which are really high in pre-formed Vitamin A, and supplements which are really high in pre-formed Vitamin A, but Vitamin A in the form of carotenes is OK.

Oh, and you really need to take your pill with a good source of fat - it more than doubles absorption. Choose good fats like those in olive oil, avocado, nuts, and oily fish like salmon. The advice on "low fat diet" is outdated. What you need is a low-bad-fat diet (avoid saturated fats and trans fats), but a meal rich in good-fat (poly and mono unsaturated fats) to take your pills with.

I've got a question for you. I take mine with breakfast, which is typically cereal or eggs and toast. Sometimes butter. Always non-fat milk. Should I take it with a different meal? Typically my lunches are higher in fat since I'm adding mayo and meat. Also, do fish oil pills contain fat? I usually take my accutane with fish oil and vitamin E.

Thanks,

Platinum

Milk gives you acne...so it might be best to avoid it anyway!!

Try soy milk, its much nicer!

LoL really? ...ive never noticed this with me personally LOL ...everyones different tho i guess :razz:

I've got a question for you. I take mine with breakfast, which is typically cereal or eggs and toast. Sometimes butter. Always non-fat milk. Should I take it with a different meal? Typically my lunches are higher in fat since I'm adding mayo and meat. Also, do fish oil pills contain fat? I usually take my accutane with fish oil and vitamin E.

Thanks,

Platinum

Eggs probably have sufficient fat at 5gm a piece. Yes, fish oil contains fat - Omega 3 fatty acids. So if you take the fish oil caplets along with your breakfast, i'd think that'd be enough.

Milk gives you acne...

No it doesn't. Ask your derm (or any REAL doctor, for that matter). I asked mine and she about fell over.

Where do you people get this stuff, anyways? :rolleyes:

Platinum

Thanks,

Platinum

Eggs probably have sufficient fat at 5gm a piece. Yes, fish oil contains fat - Omega 3 fatty acids. So if you take the fish oil caplets along with your breakfast, i'd think that'd be enough.

Cool. Or, and this might be very naughty, I could switch to full fat milk just for the months I'm on accutane..... :angel: . yum.

Platinum

No it doesn't. Ask your derm (or any REAL doctor, for that matter). I asked mine and she about fell over.

Where do you people get this stuff, anyways?

Well, there actually was a study pretty recently that linked milk with acne, with skim milk being worse than full fat, apparently due to it's effect on blood sugar without the mediation of the fat. Most commercial milk is also full of hormones which could exacerbate acne in sensitive individuals.

Here's a link to the study's abstract.

Where do you people get this stuff, anyways?

Well, there actually was a study pretty recently that linked milk with acne, with skim milk being worse than full fat, apparently due to it's effect on blood sugar without the mediation of the fat. Most commercial milk is also full of hormones which could exacerbate acne in sensitive individuals.

Here's a link to the study's abstract.

Interesting, but I'll wait. Besides, I drink organic milk.

I'll have to have my husband look at the study. He's a doctor and I don't understand that stuff.

Platinum

Milk gives you acne...

Where do you people get this stuff, anyways? :rolleyes:

Platinum

Thanks,

Platinum

Cool. Or, and this might be very naughty, I could switch to full fat milk just for the months I'm on accutane..... :angel: . yum.

Platinum

Milk gives me acne, I cant eat dairy products.