Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lovebea

I ALMOST GAVE UP HOPE...

I never had acne.... my friends used to be so jealous. I hit puberty very late in light... I was 17. And then stress hit me like a brick wall. I broke out so bad it hurt to touch my face. Hurt emotionally to look in the mirror. I'm still trying to rebuilt all of the confidence I lost. Makeup can't hide cysts that stick a half inch out of your face.

BUT.........

I went to the dermatologist for about 2 years, getting smooth beam treatments, those helped some, and they helped with scarring then. BUt when my insurance cut smoothbeam treatments, I couldn't get them anymore and my face looked like a warzone and only got worse.

THEN..............

My mom and dad saved my life by forking out a lot of money to save my face from more and more cysts.

I got IPL with levulan. 300 a treatment. My fourth and hopefully final treatment is on the 17th, and I'm excited for it to be over.

After the first treatment, my face broke out in pimples and even more cysts and it was really disheartening. The redness and peeling was horrible and I hated going outside. It looked like someone like my face on fire.

But now... just weeks away from my final treatment......

I'm cyst free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS.....

I DON'T HAVE ANY PAINFUL BUMBS.

I do have tiny, and I mean tiny little bumps that don't form white heads... they don't hurt, they aren't red. and they're virtually unnoticable.

LEVULAN WAS MY CURE.

What I know about it is......

it burns.

the IPL light hurts

so if you can ask for bluelight... my derm doesn't have that light in their office. heard it's painless.

you get really red and peel for about 7 to 8 days. and it gets better and better each treatment.

It's said to kill the p.bacteria that causes acne for up to 18 months... my derm hopes i grow out of my acne by then. 6 months after my last treatment I'll go in for a mainencetreatment and I'll re-evaluate if I need another round of levulan. I don't think I will.

BUT I SWEAR IF YOU HAVE NODULAR ACNE........... TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy that i'm finally free of painful cysts.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT PEEL THE SKIN OFF. LET IT FALL OFF ON IT'S OWN.

I have increased scarring from peeling it off on my own.

and now I'm probably going to have to pay a lot to fix that.

NOW......... I just have to find a way to get rid of the hyperpigmentation and the rolling scars. so help me out if you know anything.

TOPICALS TAKE FOREVER.

RXs BECOME LESS EFFECTIVE.

LEVULAN WIPES IT OUT.

it's the safe alternative to accutane... just ask a derm... they'll agree with that statement.

accutane also destroys the liver, does damage to your heart and other organs.

it can damage eye sight and hearing...

accutane causes severe birth defets, even after you stop taking the medication.

most doctors won't even prescribe it.

so. save money and risk serious problems for some bumps.

i was going to take accutane until i read the sideeffects.

I'd rather spend money, or do nothing at all then risk my life and the life of a unborn child.

that's just me tho.

yeah it's a topical put on your face, it soaks into your skin for up to an hour. then you use lasers like IPL or blulight to activate the levulan.

IPL can be used alone.

but levulan is much more effective.

you cannot use levulan without the IPL or blulight because it needs to highintensity lights to be activated and start the healing process.

haha does that make sense?

I'd rather spend money, or do nothing at all then risk my life and the life of a unborn child.

that's just me tho.

Hmm, I smoke a pack a day, and drink a lot of hard liquor... I think i'll take my chances with accutane.

that's just me tho.

I don't know if you are aware but they test your liver every month while on accutane. They also test your cholesterol (I think this is where you are referring to the damaged heart). I don't know about the other organ damage. And the eyesight is night vision problems. Usually go away after treatment but sometimes they don't.

It is cheap, I can tell you that. And for most people it's a permenant cure. I hope it is for me. But, if it doesn't work I will probably try one of the light/laser therapies.

Good luck,

Platinum

I had THE WORST experience with levulan with Blu-U treatments. The derm put levulan on my skin and left it for an hour and then I went under the blu-u light for 12 minutes. It kinda hurt during the light treatment and after my face was severley burnt, red, swollen...my face was in pain for over 5 days...and then peeled for a week. I had 2 treatments in total and said NO MORE...it made my moderate acne cystic and severe for months after (over six) that took a long time to heal and subside. It's expensive...and it's success rate is pretty hit and miss. I'm glad it worked for you though...you'll have to go in and get the treatment done regularly to keep up with the clear skin.

thats very exaggerated. all those are rare possibilities, you can make tylenol sound dangerous if you try.

accutane costs less.

and it works for sure.

DOn't be to sure about that! For me, 3 month post, I still break out...

Are you going to try the lights/lazer therapies out there? I am so curious about them. One study I read says the permenently damage the sebacious glands after 6 treatments or so. kind of like accutane, I guess.

Platinum

Is this just an ad for Levulan? Because it kind of seems like it. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Oh, I never thought of that. It could be. :think:

thats very exaggerated. all those are rare possibilities, you can make tylenol sound dangerous if you try.

those side effects are all extremely rare. except birth defects, but you can safely get pregnant 1 month after you take your last dose of accutane.

also most derms do prescribe it.

i'd rather use accutane because it's cheaper and i'm afraid of having my skin burned with laser treatments.

hmmmmm sounds like they're basically burning your skin...

i smell skin cancer.

maybe you should research it a lil,its also used to TREAT skin cancer patients.

Has this ever been substantiated? Or is it an exaggeration? I know accutane can cause birth defects while you're on it, but I've never heard of it causing them after you're off of it.

you have hyperpigmentation and scars from where this thing burned ur face and your saying its safer than accutane???

you can see hyperpigmentation, not my liver dying :)

I had 2 treatments with the Blu-u and the levulan together and I can’t tell you how satisfied I am. The first time it didn’t show that much and in fact it might have gotten worse, but the next treatment was indeed very helpful it has cleared my face up 70% which is the first time that I have seen my face so clean since years. Highly recommended give it a shot, of course everybody’s skin is different but the levulan seems to be the most powerful treatment out there in the market competing with Accutane a drug that I never tried and I am not willing to. You should all go do the treatment at least those of you who have mild to moderate acne before the prices go up. If that treatment is proved to work on more than 90% of the people who had it, the prices will go up.

Good luck with everyone hope you all find something that works for you.

that's just me tho.

where in the world did you get all that rubbish information?! it DOES NOT CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS AFTER YOU STOP USING IT.

MOST DERMATOLOGISTS DO PRESCRIBE ACCUTANE. a dermatologist NOT prescribing accutane is like an oncologist not prescribing chemotherapy.

and try telling the millions of people who have used accutane with no long-lasting symptoms that it damages sight and hearing, heart, and liver.

do you get your scientific information from the national enquirer or something? sheesh.

that's just me tho.

Quit saying such ridiculoust things. Accutane does NOT "destroy the liver." It does NOT do "damag to your heart and other organs." It does NOT cause birth defects "even after you stop taking the medication". It is absolutely FALSE that "most doctors won't even prescribe it."

I don't know if you are just lying, or have been grossly misinformed. You just aren't telling the truth.

Accutane is a very safe drug - if used with proper medical supervision. There are NO cardiac damage issues that I know of. It can cause elevated liver enzymes and blood lipids - but both are easy to identify early with proper medical follow up and reverse themselves with lowered dosage or ending the treatment. There are little if any permanent effects.

Birt defects are a serious and genuine consideration, but impacts only women and the danger of this does not exist after you've been off the med for a month.

Vision and hearing issues are EXTREMELY rare.

Many, if not ALL dermatologists do indeed use accutane when apprpriate.

It is just FALSE that you are endangering your life with this med.

I'm wondreing if you subject every other med to the same level of paranoia? You probably are unaware that accutane, with it's side effects, is very safe compared to many other meds that are more commonly used. The hysteria surrounding the med - which has indeed impacted teh warnings on the label - is mostly caused by politically influential people influincing the normal scientific process that governs approval of medications. The risks are HUGELY overblown, and you've been duped.

Just my opinion of course. Do what you want, but don't try to tout your personal hysteria into the so called facts you spouted above.

accutane is very safe if used properly. just don't get pregnant and get your regular blood checks to see if things are going alright.

Wow, let me guess, you acne is caused by hormones!!! It does cause birth defects and if you are too afraid to admit it and want to find out, tell a dermatologist that you want your pregnant friend to start taking it A.S.A.P. You must work for the Pharmaceutical industry! All drugs are damaging in some form. Why don't you learn a little something about an organ called THE LIVER! Then, you can rejoin intelligent life and not feel like an imposter. Sorry for the shortness, I do not put up with stupid people who aren't smart enough to think for themselves!!! It is obvious YOUR mother was on Accutane while pregnant with YOU! Just because you can post, doesn't mean you should. Educate yourself first...please.

he said it didn't cause birth defects after you stop taking it. which is true, a month after your last dose it is safe to get pregnant with no chance of accutane related birth defects. it only causes birth defects while you are on it. after it is out of your system there is no effect on future pregnancies, i think you are the one who needs to educate yourself.

also, educate yourself on how to use the quote feature.