Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone here every had any success with milk thistle? Whenever I try to take it I break out pretty badly. I mean, my skin isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, (i've been on accutane twice, and everything else, and have given up on that whole system of healing) but if I take one pill the next day my face is broken out all over, especially around my lips (which hurt really bad), temples, forehead, and jawline.

Breaking out in this way is completely new to me, as I used to just break out on my cheeks. But I am entering my early 20s so I guess adult acne is setting in. I imagine that because I break out that my body (mostly liver) is pretty toxic, right?

Has anyone here every had any success with milk thistle? Whenever I try to take it I break out pretty badly. I mean, my skin isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, (i've been on accutane twice, and everything else, and have given up on that whole system of healing) but if I take one pill the next day my face is broken out all over, especially around my lips (which hurt really bad), temples, forehead, and jawline.

Breaking out in this way is completely new to me, as I used to just break out on my cheeks. But I am entering my early 20s so I guess adult acne is setting in. I imagine that because I break out that my body (mostly liver) is pretty toxic, right?

I've heard that Milk Thistle is a great liver cleanser and system toner in general. A congested liver is almost always present in any sufferers....the worse the acne, the more the liver has been crippled. By taking these liver cleansing herbs, you are flushing the toxins out of your bloodstream...and where do they come out... from the SKIN, yes! But this is not a bad thing... a breakout with this simply means that the obstructions within are being removed...that your body is cleansing itself. Once you have no more (or little) toxins left in your liver... breakouts will become a rare occurence. However, you need more than good herbs to lend your liver a helping hand. Eat a diet of many fruits and leafy veggies for a week or more, with the inclusion of whole grain products... and ultra lean meat (like white fish), if you must. Also, check your tongue to see how your organs might appear! A coated tongue indicates the presence of toxins.

I've heard that Milk Thistle is a great liver cleanser and system toner in general. A congested liver is almost always present in any sufferers....the worse the acne, the more the liver has been crippled. By taking these liver cleansing herbs, you are flushing the toxins out of your bloodstream...and where do they come out... from the SKIN, yes! But this is not a bad thing... a breakout with this simply means that the obstructions within are being removed...that your body is cleansing itself. Once you have no more (or little) toxins left in your liver... breakouts will become a rare occurence. However, you need more than good herbs to lend your liver a helping hand. Eat a diet of many fruits and leafy veggies for a week or more, with the inclusion of whole grain products... and ultra lean meat (like white fish), if you must. Also, check your tongue to see how your organs might appear! A coated tongue indicates the presence of toxins.

I have a pretty good diet compared to most people: mostly fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains, fish etc. I throw in cheese or chicken every once in a while, but I have no reaction when I do (I was vegan and caffeine free for a while during my teenage days, and nothing was different). I know all about milk thistle and other cleansing herbs and vitamins/minerals and nutritional foods in general. I just don't really have that much of a chance to cross paths with people who have acne and are trying to take the same approach as me.

I've tried doing liver cleanses but I can never get through them because my face starts hurting me too badly.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I've been told that increasing my intake of fiber would help, but it isn't significant enough.

I've noticed that when ever i take milk thistle i tend to break out more as well. I'm not sure why that is. I've been taking Milk thistle for a couple weeks now and my acne is breaking out like crazy. i'm seeing 2-3 breakouts every day. its always around the region of the mouth. In Chinese medicine, breakouts areas around the mouth coresponds to the liver (thats what i hear anyways)

I have 2 theories why this is happening:

1) milk thistle is causing the liver to clense itself, there by releasing toxins into the blood. perhaps our livers are extremely toxic. :think:

2) maybe our bodies have some type or alergic reaction to milk thistle, because other people seem to be fine taking milk thistle. :think:

I don't know if any of these are correct. Does anyone know the exact process that goes on with Milk Thistle?

Next question is... should i continue Milk Thistle if i'm breaking out or should i stop?

I am taking milk thistle at the moment and it has had little effect on my acne. However, When i first took the herb about 18 months ago it helped my acne tremendously in about the first four days i took it, then the effect stopped. I was amazed at the fantastic effect it had on my skin at first to be honest. I have been unable to get the same effect from anything since but i have concluded from the experience that my acne has a lot to do with my liver.

hope this helps! Milk thistle can aid in HELPING tackle the problem.

Edited by Control Panel
removed blog link