Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
will205

Subcision needle holes

I have 3 to 4 holes in my face where the subcision needle was inserted under the skin. Two of them are 3mm x 2mm wide, 0.5mm deep and are noticeable soft rolling scars. They aren't that bad and i think each day they might be getting a bit better but it has been over 2 months and they are still there.

Did anybody get similar holes post subcision and if you did, did they go away in time?

My subcision holes were more like pin pricks whcih dissapeared within 2 weeks.

I'm not sure what to suggest - I'm wondering why they are so large.

Perhaps over time the Intense gel you are using will help.

No but I have similar scar-type holes.

Maya-Where would I buy the Intense gel?

Thanks.

Will I didn't have holes from subscion that I noticed. What gauge needle did your Doc use on you?

I’ve had subscision done by three different doctors:

Dr Chu: used quite a large spear shaped subcision needle: all entry points healed without trace except one which looks like a small pin-prick. This one is improving and I think it will be gone shortly.

Dr Stanek: didn’t see the needle, said he had a range of sizes: all entry points healed without trace but with some slight pigmentation which disappeared after a few months.

Well known dr with clinics in London & Santa Monica: caused two new rolling/indented scars. I think he used an ordinary needle and was very rough e.g. if you put a needle through a piece of cloth and wiggle it sideways roughly, you will see a stretched hole – that’s what it was like. He may be a well known dr but I will never go to him again.

I think the skill of the dr and the care he takes is very important. The last one may have had the skill and is pretty well known, but I found him sloppy, arrogant, a businessman rather than a doctor. (I’ve heard similar comments from other people about him). The scars he caused didn't improve and only since I've started having Isolagen treatments by Dr Chu, have the softened.

>>The last one may have had the skill and is pretty well known, but I found him sloppy, arrogant, a businessman rather than a doctor.

Lola, sorry you've had such a mixed bag of doctors. The above description reminded me of a famous dermatologist I saw once...a Dr. Orentreich in Manhattan. He was a sour, bearish man and the best he could say to me after scanning my face up close was, "Why don't you just do nothing for your face? After all, acne scars didn't hurt Richard Burton's life or career!" I was very pissed...and I never returned to him after that.

Did he really say that? I wonder if he was trying to be funny or was he serious.

I don't understand what doctors are thinking when they make stupid comments like that.

Half of being a good doctor is just showing up and not acting like an idiot in front of your patients, but some Docs don't seem to get this.

poohman, he seemed to be a very dry person and I guess it's possible that he was trying to be funny, but I was real hypersensitive about my scars so I didn't take his comment very well. I mean, obviously the scars were an issue for me if I had sought him out for a consultation. The guy never smiled nor did he convey even the barest iota of warmth or compassion. Now, I realize those qualities alone don't make a good doctor, but like you said, half of being a good doctor is not acting like an idiot in front of your patients. Making me feel uncomfortable that way was a pretty stupid thing to do, I thought. And, in the end, he lost a patient.

Actually the subcision holes are 2mm x 2mm and probably 0.3-0.4mm deep, which is just enough to be seen in the mirror at a distance. When i touch them they feel sensitive. The skin is slightly swollen next to the holes so they look deeper than they are against the raised skin. 2 come together forming a weird groove and it goes into my shave line so it is hard to avoid with a razor. If they don't improve or get better by 5-6 months i will demand the derm do something about them for free. I'm not trading a scar for another few scars, no matter how small.

Johnery, sorry to hear of your experience. Wasn't the old Dr Orentreich regarded as one of the most eminent derms in NY? Maybe he was a bit like the one I saw - good at getting positive PR for himself but not really caring about patients?

He was certainly right about Richard Burton. I met him once and he was so attractive and sexy - great magnetism! He probably didn't let his scars bother him.

Will, perhaps you should point out the scars to your dr now, rather than wait 6 months? Don' t give him the opportunity to deny them.