Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cavillor

New member, long-time sufferer

Hi. I'm fifteen, I've had acne since I was thirteen (not a long time compared to some, but for me it seems like an eternity.) Some of the treatments I've tried I've listed in my signature. Red-and-green light treatments and salicylic acid actually worked for a while, and over summer break my acne essentially disappeared. With the start of school, my skin descended into an inflamed hellpit within a week, and now it's at just about its lowest point ever. I'll wake up the morning and see my skin in the mirror and think it looks pretty good, and then by fourth or fifth period in school I'll glance into a mirror and angry red eyes -- scabs and bumps that are either macules or nodes or pimples that have grown much too comfortable -- will confront me. But most of you probably know the feeling.

I'm trying the Clear Skin Regimen. I toyed with the idea of Accutane, but I run cross country and swollen joints are not conducive; I'd rather run and continue to suffer from acne infestation then have to stop for months while the Accutane worked its magic (and inflicted a whole wreath of side effects on me). Benzoyl peroxide has had a dramatic effect on my skin in the past; I started using Oxy, which has a 10% concentration, thirteen weeks ago, and my skin cleared up within a few days.

Then it got worse. A lot worse. I was rubbing it in much too hard, and I know the 10% has irritated my skin, so I'm putting it aside and following the Regimen exactly. I now have Cetaphil cleanser and 2.5% BP; soon I'll have a moisturizer. Starting tomorrow morning, I will begin the utter annihilation of my acne.

onyxraven -- Thanks for posting!

This is the end of Day 6 for me. My skin improved dramatically around day two or day three; most likely, this is because I was no longer inflaming it with BP 10%. This morning I was despairing because my skin seemed to be little better, but just before applying my moisturizer tonight I looked in the mirror and was amazed at how much better my skin looked. My red marks are fading, almost blending in with my skin; I have a few scabs from where I picked too much at my skin, but those too are going down.

Whiteheads are no longer a problem, and blackheads never really plagued me. The BP has wiped those out, and my biggest problem is the leftover inflamation and skin discolorment from years of persistent acne. I've been using more and more moisturizer lately, and I think that's what's doing the red marks in. Unfortunately, it has the side effect of greasing up my skin. I gently rolled my pen across my forehead today; it came away slick with oil. But whatever works!

My products:

*Neutrogena On-The-Spot 2.5%

*Cetaphil gentle cleansing bar

*Arbonne alpha-hydria complex SPF 8 (very fancy, very effective stuff; my mom used to sell products for Arbonne so she has all kinds of things just laying around)

welcome and congrats on taking the plunge with the CSR! I've been on it for over four months and my face is now 100% clear! Can't wait to see your results!!!!

Hi Cavillor,

Just popping in to wish you luck with the Regimen.

It sounds like you are off to a very good start!

Good luck, and don't hesitate to holler out if you need any help!

Day 7

Reality hit. Hard.

I caught a glimpse of my face's reflection in the tinted window of my mother's minivan. I took a closer look in the car menu, and I saw an ocean of inflamed scarlet, and more whiteheads than I had even imagined. This morning I didn't use the moisturizer; it makes me feel like I've washed my face in olive oil as the school day grinds forward. (Typically during fourth of fifth period I begin to feel like turning my face away from anyone who glances at me.)

I went on a major popping spree and haven't looked at my face for perhaps two hours. I'm about to go apply my evening treatment. I'm hoping that this is the week-two breakout mentioned in the moderate acne column of the "What To Expect" page. (I do not, thank God, have any nodules or cysts, so I don't think my acne qualifies as severe.)

I am ready for this acne to go away. It is sapping me of energy, leading me to shun my peers; in school I can't focus on my work, it's all about the status of my face. I'll continue with the regimen, and live for the weekends, when I can relax about my face (and when, incidentally, oily skin *never* seems to bother me. I believe that stress is a HUGE component in my acne, and it's unavoidable at Hellhouse High!)

And here's a bit of unexpected cruelty to brighten everyone's day! A rumor has spread that I'm secretly gay; I guess that being intelligent and articulate, and not fond of grunting and football, disqualifies me from being straight. My gay stalker (who , during the first week of school, tried to grope me in the cafeteria) came up to me and said: "You sexy bitch, you. But you know ... they do make acne medicine."

To which I replied, "No, really? Gee, in the two years that I've had acne I've never once thought to try treating it! Somehow I doubt you've ever had acne yourself, so you wouldn't understand futilely cycling through half a dozen creams and gels with temporary results, at best, from each one."

Or at least, I wish I'd been erudite enough at the time to reply like that. Or to make some witty snapback like, "Experiments on sheep have led to a breakthrough in the search for a cure for homosexuality." (Which is true!) That would have really aggravated him, screaming queen that he is.

Instead, I just said, "Yes, I know, I use it." And I walked away. I loathe the acne stigma; the attitude that those who suffer from it are too lazy to treat it, that it comes from dirtiness, etc.

On a related note: I now know what type of acne I have! "Papules: Papules are inflamed, red, tender bumps with no head. Do not squeeze a papule. It will do no good, and may exacerbate scarring. The Clear Skin Regimen provides a step-by-step program on how to treat papules." Also a few pustules, with a very few whiteheads, and one persistent blackhead on my cheek. My forehead has cleared up, but my cheeks ... my cheeks are the quintessential "pizza face."

Sorry to double-post, but this is unrelated to the previous entry so I thought it deserved a new one. I'm thinking -- I don't know how to say this without embarassing myself, so I might as well just getting out -- of using some sort of make-up. I am tired of walking around with my discolored face on display, and I don't want to wait another month (or more) for the Regimen to clear me up before I can finally stop being self-conscious. I don't know, though; make-up could irritate my skin, and it *is* really awkward as a guy to even contemplate it.

Also, after reading about the success of oil-based Benzoyl Peroxide, I'm thinking of mixing my moisturizer and BP and applying them at the same time. Can anyone offer any input?

Welcome to the forums. I hear some of my story in yours: about the same age when my acne started, same products, and even some more to that list. We're all here to help you. Dan's set up a great support resource here.

My biggest advice I could give would be to do the regimen precisely, without adding or removing products or steps. And give it time to work. So to answer your question, I wouldn't mix the moisturizer with the BP.

Good luck!

Cam >B)

Sorry to double-post, but this is unrelated to the previous entry so I thought it deserved a new one. I'm thinking -- I don't know how to say this without embarassing myself, so I might as well just getting out -- of using some sort of make-up. I am tired of walking around with my discolored face on display, and I don't want to wait another month (or more) for the Regimen to clear me up before I can finally stop being self-conscious. I don't know, though; make-up could irritate my skin, and it *is* really awkward as a guy to even contemplate it.

Also, after reading about the success of oil-based Benzoyl Peroxide, I'm thinking of mixing my moisturizer and BP and applying them at the same time. Can anyone offer any input?

This is AMAZING! I've dropped BP and moisturizer from my regimen and will be soaking my face in hot water for 2 minute sessions; one morning, and one night. I started today. I gave into temptation and picked and popped at my face with great abandon, and despite that my skin looks VIBRANT! My redmarks are fading like crazy! I'll check in again next Thursday; if the face-soak regimen works, I should be essentially acne-free by then, if the 22-page thread I discovered in another section of this message board is anything to go by.