Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skribby

Eating your way to clear skin

Those in Australia will be familiar with this.

Here's a link for everybody to the article / news report:

http://www.seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=29961

What do you guys think?

I always thought that diet has nothing to do with acne, and you can basically eat whatever you want, but this news report/article proves otherwise, or atleast I think so.

Interested to hear your views and opinions.

Absolutely true. I am not sure about the notion that "red meat" is good for acne sufferers. But, yea, fruits/veggies, all bran/whole grain products...that's the way to go.

Yep, I guess I should really start sticking to healthy foods from now on..

IMO this article really fails to go into any of the intricacies of whatever relationshp may exist between diet and acne. There is much more useful in the diet / holistic forum if people are interested in following this route.

It was half assed to say the least. Lacked thorough credibility. Also, one of the cured sufferers quoted himself as having 'no visible scarring' or acne. Trouble is, i could see clogged pores and scarring. And i can only assume Naomi Robson's make-up crew did him up before the interview. He was much improved, but by no means cured.

And as mentioned above me, there is better info available in the diet/holistic forums. And i really would love to know what the 2-3 kids were eating before they started the cleaner diet.

i agree 100% its been 2 weeks nearly since i changed my diet and when i rub my finger down the top of my nose its nice and dry and smooth!! its been about 6 hours since i had my bath.. normally before my diet changed it wud have been oily as hell after 30mins of washing

Guest ~Wolfy~

I'm not unimpressed, but I'm not *that* impressed.

50% is a good improvement in 12 weeks.

But to put that in perspective you would expect about 75% or better from BP, oral antibiotics or from blue/red light treatment in the same timescale.

what are hot chips?

Also, i doubt they're talking about SEVERE acne.

tell me more about this diet? where can i find it? HELLLLLLO people! Even if it helps your acne a LITTLE that's still something, and anyway we don't need all this bullshit food, we need to take care of our bodies!

jeeeez...

In my experience diet plays a very minimal role in acne formation. I eat very healthily yet I still suffer from the condition, although I have found that it does improve the skin's healing properties as my skin seems to recover a lot quicker than it used to before I made the move from junk food to healthier foods. Forget acne anyway, think of the damage the nutrient depleted sugary junk food does internally...thats why I maintain a healthy diet despite the fact it does nothing for my acne.

i read about this guy neil mann a while back. was in the news back when the whole carbs cause acne thing started getting big... he was the researcher that was gonna do that big year long study or something like that on it. never did see any results published anywhere.

edit--and yeah, WTF are hot chips? my guess is they're fries... i know in the UK they call french fries "chips"

I agree that eating healthy foods, combined with exercise and adequate sleep is important for overall good health. I also agree that most teenagers are notorious for eating crap. However, I doubt that there truly is a big connection between acne and diet. Acne is caused by multiple factors... like genetics, hormones, stress, hygiene.... etc... I've had acne for ages and yet I've always been health consious and I've always eaten healthy foods.

erm.. today tonight?!

those of us in australia are familiar with the fact that today tonight is largely a waste of time

i gain as much medical insight from that show as i do from the soapies neighbours (which shares the timeslot)

Guest ANajmi85

You should be eating good foods anyways.

Basic Rule:

Eat it if it's been grown and raised.

And organic foods are your friends.

This helps keep a good healthy weight along with good skin.

some people on this forum swear they eat organic every day and never ever had junk food and still had a raging case of acne. I was told it mostly had to do with some genetic flaw with the sebcasceus glands.

Those in Australia will be familiar with this.

Here's a link for everybody to the article / news report:

http://www.seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=29961

What do you guys think?

I always thought that diet has nothing to do with acne, and you can basically eat whatever you want, but this news report/article proves otherwise, or atleast I think so.

Interested to hear your views and opinions.

I am a scientist. I write scientific articles. This is NOT a scientific article. It may be rubbish. You MUST always look for articles from scientific journals, never off the internet.

There are many places in the world where they simply dont eat the junk we tend to diet on, and there is still acne.

So acne is not caused by diet, at least not always. To claim this is simply wrong. For one thing it means we are responsible for our own acne.

HOWEVER, here is some anecdotal evidence that there is no harm in considering.

I have had acne for MANY years, and am now almost 36. I have greasy skin. I have noticed that eating very fatty food makes my skin even more greasy. But if I ever tried to reduce the fatty food I ate to ease my acne it didnt work, so I carried on eating the fat (because I like it).

Over the last 6 weeks I have changed my diet for a different reasson: I gained weight. I just started a low calorie and low fat diet. Just cutting out sweets and chips and pizza etc. Nothing dramatic, and nothing special. I am vegetarian so there is no meat or fish so they dont seem to be a factor. After about 3-4 weeks my skin became dry; the grease has gone. A week or two later and the acne I had was fading, and not being perpetually replaced by yet more acne. Now I dont seem to get new spots, and I have had to start using a moisturiser.

Well, its NOT scientific. But if you have greasy skin and your diet has plenty of fat, why not reduce it and see if it helps.

Good luck!

I am a scientist. I write scientific articles. This is NOT a scientific article. It may be rubbish. You MUST always look for articles from scientific journals, never off the internet.

Excellent point. With that in mind .... this thread is going over to Diet/Holistic.

Over the last 6 weeks I have changed my diet for a different reasson: I gained weight. I just started a low calorie and low fat diet. Just cutting out sweets and chips and pizza etc. Nothing dramatic, and nothing special. I am vegetarian so there is no meat or fish so they dont seem to be a factor. After about 3-4 weeks my skin became dry; the grease has gone. A week or two later and the acne I had was fading, and not being perpetually replaced by yet more acne. Now I dont seem to get new spots, and I have had to start using a moisturiser.

Well, its NOT scientific. But if you have greasy skin and your diet has plenty of fat, why not reduce it and see if it helps.

Good luck!

The "greasy food causes greasy skin" is a flawed theory that was more prevalent in the 60's and 70's but it seems now that there's a more clear connection between sugary / high glycemic food and acne. The greasy food / acne connection could also be explained by the fact that greasy food is fried / deep fried with hydrogenated or mostly polyunsaturated vegetable oil which causes heavy oxidation, in turn sucking away the antioxidant supplies of your body when you eat said food. But the insulin / sugar / carb connection is a bit more clear, where you eat too much high glycemic food like baked goods / fruit juice and cause a big spike in insulin, in turn making a big spike in IGF-1 which theoretically controls several functions, in our case skin oiliness and skin shedding. Of course this is all Cordain's ideas and it all connects to the Paleo diet, so you may want to search around that. Also, Cordain did a study where he indeed did inspect the acne of populations eating traditional diets and for the most part they had entirely clear skin.

I like the general idea of the article (good nutrition leads to improved skin), but I don't like the list of "good" and "bad" foods. I can't stay with any restrictive diets, and it seems to me like moderation is more important than eating what they advise and ignoring everything on the avoid list.