Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I'm hoping people with experience of differin might be able to help me out. I've been using the cream every night for 7 weeks now, and I for the past 2 weeks I don't think i've gone a day without crying. My skin is much much worse than it has been in a long time, and every time I think it might be starting to get better it just gets worse again. It doesn't help that I started my new job this week with absolutely zero confidence.

Can anyone share their experiences with differin? How long did IB last for people and how bad was it? etc etc. 7 Weeks of continually worsening skin has left me feeling really low, and I just want to know if i'm putting myself through this for nothing, and how much longer I shoud expect this to last. From what I can gather from this site, most people's skin would have started to improve by week 7.

Any advice would be really welcome

Thanks xx

I was on Differin for 8 wks - the same thing happened to me (I cried on a daily basis too!). My skin just got progressively worse. I broke out on my chin, where i had no acne prior to starting the Differin. I kept getting spots that would just not go away. And when they did finally go away, they left marks on my chin - i have never had acne marks/scarring before this. I wasn't willing to wait another month or two to see if it would improve, I just stopped at 8 wks. My skin started to improve within a week or so of quitting the Differin. I have been on a different regimen for the last 4 months and am basically clear now.

But, some people will clear up, even after a nasty IB, so I'm not saying you should quit too. Are you using anything besides Differin?

I use Differin at night, Benzoyl Peroxide and an AHA moisturizer in the morning.

This is esentially the best regimen released to date (said by the person who discovered the use of Vitamin A in acne-care). It basiclaly works like this :

Benzoyl Peroxide : kill P.acnes

AHA moisturizers : removes dead skin cells

(Vitamin A derivative) Differin : creates new revitalized skin(cells)

With that, the acne should be completely gone within 3 months not really any doubt about it...it's the best thing available except for accutane.

As for my experience with it, I'm in to it 1 month and to be honest with you I'm really liking my results... The pimples I do get now just get owned in two days. They disappear so quickly that I don't even have a need to pop them, which means no scarring. Naturally, based on my month's experience I would suggest sticking with it, but I would add Dan's BP gel and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion to the morning , and do the differin at night. Like I said, that's whats said to be the best treatment next to accutane.

Hi Pezalicious,

I started Differin Cream on 18th August. I have been on it for exatly 7 weeks like u and my acne is at its worse now. I have acne where i had none before.. Dont worry coz u r not alone.. Hang in there coz it will get better.. :angel: Most people who get clear by week 7 are on differin gel which i slightly stronger then the cream version. For people on cream version it will take slightly longer to see improvement.

What is differin?

It is a synthetic retinoid product (works similarly to Retin-A).

I use Differin at night, Benzoyl Peroxide and an AHA moisturizer in the morning.

This is esentially the best regimen released to date (said by the person who discovered the use of Vitamin A in acne-care). It basiclaly works like this :

Benzoyl Peroxide : kill P.acnes

AHA moisturizers : removes dead skin cells

(Vitamin A derivative) Differin : creates new revitalized skin(cells)

With that, the acne should be completely gone within 3 months not really any doubt about it...it's the best thing available except for accutane.

As for my experience with it, I'm in to it 1 month and to be honest with you I'm really liking my results... The pimples I do get now just get owned in two days. They disappear so quickly that I don't even have a need to pop them, which means no scarring. Naturally, based on my month's experience I would suggest sticking with it, but I would add Dan's BP gel and Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion to the morning , and do the differin at night. Like I said, that's whats said to be the best treatment next to accutane.

I agree that a retinoid + antibiotic or BP is one of the best combinations out there for fighting acne. But, I don't think this necessarily means that Differin is the best retinoid for everyone to use. It works for some people, but not others. Some people had problems with Differin, but Retin-A worked fine for them. Everyone responds differently.

For me, my skin reacted very badly to Differin, but not to the Vivant retinoid I am using right now. After ditching the Differin, I started with BP and a glycolic acid product (among other things), then later added the Vivant retinoid (this was a regimen created for me by my esthetician who specializes in treating acne.) I never had an "initial breakout" on her regimen. My skin just started improving within a few weeks, and continued to improve afterwards.

Thanks for all the advice :)

I'm using the differin along with lymecycline (which I started at the same time) and a blue/red light dermalux lamp which i've used since xmas and is amazing - though it's having to work a bit harder than normal at the moment!

My skin is already quite red from the differin, so I'm a bit worried about using bp as well. Maybe if things don't improve soon i'll give it a whirl. It's so nice to hear that other people are going through the same thing, I think it becomes really easy to feel totally alone with something like acne.

I hope things get better for you too soon chefmate - keep me posted on how it's going!

differin... I used every product like it.

my acne never got better either, just worse, and worse and worse.

honestly... my dermatologist even told me they aren't very effective and they take a long time to work. he also said that it has to get better before it can get worse. like it's pushing it out of your skin.

but I STOPPED USING TOPICALS.

and my acne is gone.

now I'm just waiting for the redmarks and hyperpigmentation to fade away... which is heard takes a long time. and I'm going to get scar treatments soon.

I feel you pain. I think just about everyone with acne gets that upset over it. If only society cared enough to understand it's not our fault we have it. FUCK THEM! anyways... it cost me a lot of money... but I don't regret it at all.... I finally took a stand and go IPL with LEVULAN treatments at my deratologist. I had cystic acne... and really bad cysts... SO BAD that they had to inject them with steroids to make the swelling go down. but... I don't anymore. haven't had a cyst in a month. and that's a grand relief. screw the topics. screw the meds. take action and kill the bateria where it starts... under the skin.

get laser treatments. i swear mine saved my selfesteem.

My skin actually cleared up nicely with Differin and I experienced a BAD IB (for two months). I was unable to shake those last few pesky break-outs though, and couldn't figure out why. I used an AHA moisturizer with it too (not at the same time during the day), even though it was recommended that I not do that. It turned out that this tended to make my acne worse because it was very irritating to the skin (Differin decreases the thickness of your skin and AHAs do as well). It was like hitting my skin with a nuclear exfoliation bomb. I stopped the AHA and now my skin has cleared. Why don't you try phasing out the AHA and see if that helps?