Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Why me??

I'm having severe acne and dark spots (hyper-pigmentation)

OK I'm a boy I began having acne since I was around 16, but it was very mild and faded quickly without leaving marks. Then when I was 17 my acne turned for the worst and appeared to be bigger and there were those nodule/cysts too. Sometimes they would leave small pitted scars and dark spots.

But this year, right after I turned 18, I was selected for a "National Service" program camp in my country Malaysia. It was not military and I had fun. Basically the program was to bond together the multiples races in my country. We had to march under the hot sun and do a lot of rigorous activities. At first I though my acne will 100% become worse under those conditions.

But after 2 months there I came back home and noticed that my acne was healing. The scars including the dark spots were less visible, and I didnt use any sunscreen (never have) during the program, and I washed my face at least 4 or 5 times daily using a face wash when I was there, since I have oily skin and I sweat a lot there.

After two months back from camp, I though my acne problems were going away, until all of a sudden I had a major breakout. This happened around 3 or 4 weeks ago, and although the pimples are now clearing they have left dark spots EVERYWHERE. People have used to say I'm good looking but now I feel the discolourization of the dark spots severely puts me off, and I'm feeling depressed.

I'm half Chinese, half Indian, but I'm fair, so the spots are extra visible on me. :ninja:I've never gone to a dermatologist, never used any suncreen, never used any moisturizers, what can I do now to make the hyper-pigmentation fade faster? And how do I prevent future dark spots? :(:D

U can look in the red mark forum, those are hyper pigmentation

Ok thanks I think I will try the Vinegar and Taping method. Taping sounds fun.. :D

Good luck! maybe u should look into accutane if your acne is severe,it works miracles

at least see a dermatologist.

acv works, tape doesnt

get a sunscreen, get a glycolic wash or moisturizer or both... preferably the glycolic moisturizer with sunscreen (two birds one stone). look into peels maybe, i would recommend going to a derm too. if your marks are turning brown then possibly you could look into hydroquinone.

honestly, it will take months, at least 3 for them to fade.

AHA, BHA, liquorice extract, zinc, hydroquinone+tretininoin, or hydroquinone+azelaic acids are all ways to speeden the process. But trust me, the best way is to deal with the breakouts. If it comes, you'll just get even more hyperpigmentation. Hydroquinone, a bleaching agent, can often clog pores. =/

AHA, BHA, liquorice extract, zinc, hydroquinone+tretininoin, or hydroquinone+azelaic acids are all ways to speeden the process. But trust me, the best way is to deal with the breakouts. If it comes, you'll just get even more hyperpigmentation. Hydroquinone, a bleaching agent, can often clog pores. =/

yes.. trust me.. my experience proves this

acv works, tape doesnt

get a sunscreen, get a glycolic wash or moisturizer or both... preferably the glycolic moisturizer with sunscreen (two birds one stone).

Tape doesnt work? But I read in the PIH thread that it should work...

and I have never used any sunscreen, moisturizers or peels.. Which should I look for? And what SPF? What concentration of glycolic acid etc?

When you say 3 months, do you mean it takes 3 months to START healing or FINISH healing?

sorry dude it takes a while. you may aswell get on the accutane and by 3 months all acne is stopped and then another 3 months and the marks will be gone and no more acne forever.

i'm on it now, and can i say two things:

the best decision i ever made in my life was to take accutane.

the worst decision i ever made was to wait so long before taking it

hopefully you will make the right decision