Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brendan_192

well derms/scientists in AUS recognise importance of diet

just watched today tonight and they did an episode on new evidence showing just how important diet is for acne. the diet they recomended was basically the same as what you guys suggest on here. just thought i post this to show that this is finally gettin acknowleged

Guest Johnny Drama

Yeah i just watched that too. It was funny because my diet consists of mainly the 10 foods that they say cause acne :doh: I only have mild acne so i reckon if i cut back on those foods i would probably be acne free.

Here is a link to the story for anyone interested http://www.seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=29961

Thanks for posting.

Sure its a good start to give up the things on the 'bad' list. Not just because they may aggravate acne but also because most of them, save potatoes, are in themselves just not healthy foods. However, most people on this site acknowledge that diet isn't a one size fits all treatment for acne. The problem with this kind of reporting is that it can make people think that acne sufferers are to blame for their condition because, as the conception goes, they eat junk. However, it is actually it is far more complicated than that. That said, it is a good thing that people are looking into the connection more because hopefully, one day, we will understand how to properly treat this thing.

I'm over severe acne, though I do get the occassional spot. But I'm confident (for me) it's NOT from diet; pizza, cheese, caffeine, chips, beer, soft drinks, sugar, white flour, bread, rice, red meat, pasta, whatever. I could go more into detail, explaining why or how I've determiend this, but I really can't be bothered.

I live in Australia. I've visited several derms, and each one of them shrugged off diet being the cause of acne. Sure, it might exacerbate it, but not cause it. I really believe that. I missed Today Tonight this evening. Meh, Naomi Robson gives me the shits anyway.

I'm over severe acne, though I do get the occassional spot. But I'm confident (for me) it's NOT from diet; pizza, cheese, caffeine, chips, beer, soft drinks, sugar, white flour, bread, rice, red meat, pasta, whatever. I could go more into detail, explaining why or how I've determiend this, but I really can't be bothered.

You're all missing an important point about diet ... diet is everything we are, period.

Whatever cause you may found for your acne, it is necessarily and obligatorily dependent on diet

Is it your acne hormonal? Hormones are controlled by diet

Is your acne due to toxemia? Toxins retention is controlled by diet

Is you diet caused by oily skin? Oilyness of the biggest human organ the skin is controlled by diet, and even when it is controlled by hormones ... remember that hormones are controlled by diet

Is it due to bacterial infection? Immune system is controlled by diet and inflamations are controlled by diet

Is it due to dehydration of the skin? Dehydration and hydration is controlled by diet

In other words diet is not the cause of ance. Diet is the cause of the cause of acne!

By diet is not meant eating or not chocolate or chips, but the daily, continuous supply of food to your body and its obligatory effect on everything your body does and feels ... the amount of calories, the excess of certain nutrients, the deficieny of other nutrients, the impaired indigestion, the impaired assimilation, the electrolytes deficiency, the essential fatty acids unadequate intake, the metabolites, the buffering of metabolism by-product, the constipation, the inflamation markers ...

Diet is not just eating pizza today today having new pimples or no pimples tomorrow; diet is your whole body and everything happens within your body and as such it's absolutely impossible to observe with naked eye the effect your whole diet is having on all your metabolic and physiological functions

You can't observe the reaction of what you eat in isolation because day after day and week after week what you eat makes the body you have, the blood you have, the organs you have and the glands you have

Don't forget that every single piece of your body is constantly renewed and rycicled and the material used to make yourself new each month, year, decade is ... the food you eat hence your diet

Funny, I don't eat a single food on the bad list except occassional chocolate as a treat (I go through my phases), in fact I just had a bit right now... other then that, maybe a nice new potato here and there but never any french fries or potato chips.

There's too much "one size fits all" diet stuff going on...

Is you diet caused by oily skin? Oilyness of the biggest human organ the skin is controlled by diet, and even when it is controlled by hormones ... remember that hormones are controlled by diet

Is it due to bacterial infection? Immune system is controlled by diet and inflamations are controlled by diet

Is it due to dehydration of the skin? Dehydration and hydration is controlled by diet

In other words diet is not the cause of ance. Diet is the cause of the cause of acne!

I know we have been through this before, but I just wanted to say that this presupposes that, if two people ate exactly the same food day in day out it would achieve the same results health wise. Whilst it can never be tested, I can't believe that is right. But anyways ...

I know we have been through this before, but I just wanted to say that this presupposes that, if two people ate exactly the same food day in day out it would achieve the same results health wise. Whilst it can never be tested, I can't believe that is right. But anyways ...

You're right in your conclusion but wrong in your logic

The fact that whatever you body is and does depends on foods doesn't absolutely imply that two people that eat the same exact food day in day out would achieve the same results

You must think individually, try to imagine you're the only person left in the world.

Whatever happens in your body depends mainly of the foods you eat

This doesn't mean that the same food must have the same effect, it just means that whatever kind of body depends on food. Your kind of body depends on food, a different from yours kind of body depends on food

Even if you're not the same and haven't the same metabolism, organs, tendencies your different functions and body processes depend on food ... not on the same foods ... just on food in general, just on nutrition, just on your feeding your body

Low GI diet clears up acne in boys

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Low...9641420053.html

Eating slowly-digested carbs won't just help shed weight - it could clear up your pimples too, nutritionists claim.

Carbohydrate foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) have been proven to help weight loss by making the dieter feel fuller for longer.

Now researchers have discovered that the popular diet can also improve acne by 50 per cent when trialled on a group of teenagers for three months.

Nutritionists at RMIT University enlisted 50 boys with moderate to severe acne and randomly assigned half a typical adolescent boy's diet high in processed foods and refined grain products.

The other half were put on a diet high in low-GI foods like wholegrain bread, pasta and legumes.

These foods are slowly digested and absorbed producing only gentle rises and falls in blood glucose and insulin levels.

Other carbs removed from their diet were replaced with high levels of protein like lean red meat and seafood.

"The acne of the boys on the higher protein-low GI diet improved dramatically, by more than half," said Dr Neil Mann, lead researcher of the study to be presented at a European dermatology conference in Greece on Thursday.

"This new evidence suggests that a more natural diet, comprised of minimally processed foods, may serve as a defence against acne."

He said the finding was significant because it challenged the belief held by many health professionals that there is no link between diet and acne.

Dr Mann said the diet was successful because it reined in high insulin levels he believes could be responsible for acne.

"When you go through puberty you produce a lot of growth hormone that actually makes you insulin resistant temporarily," he said.

"With chronically high levels of insulin you're going to get blockages in the pores and extra oil building up under the skin."

A diet high in processed foods pushes glucose and insulin levels higher, exacerbating the problem, but low GI foods do the opposite.

"It's as clear as day," Dr Mann said.

"We're convinced the results show that if people do suffer from acne badly this sort of dietary change is going to help them a great deal."

Sydney-based dermatologist Phillip Artemi said the results provided food for thought and proved the area should be studied in more depth.

However, he warned there was no evidence that acne was caused by food, so dietary changes could never cure the condition.

"Diet may be an adjunct in therapies for acne but it's not going to be a stand-alone treatment," Dr Artemi said.

© 2006 AAP

"Diet may be an adjunct in therapies for acne but it's not going to be a stand-alone treatment," Dr Artemi said.

uhmm someone here is afraid to lose his patients ...

uhmm someone here is afraid to lose his patients ...

Exactly.

I have become a follower of Cordain because he is the type of guy who tries to genuinely help others.